Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Rand Paul a right-wing version of Obama?
Yes 5 11.63%
No 29 67.44%
Don't know/care 9 20.93%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 10:43 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,465,672 times

Advertisements

Consider: he's an attractive, charismatic first-term senator who has inspired rapturous praise because of some speeches he's given recently. His supporters describe him in Messianic terms and see him as the one great true hope to save America; they all but worship the ground he walks on... just as Obama supporters are constantly accused of doing with their guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 12:16 PM

1,127 posts, read 904,219 times
He's a liar and a hypocrite. So yeah.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:35 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,113,688 times
I see your point, but I disagree. His supporters are not blind to the issues like Obama supporters are, generally speaking. He has a proven track record of conservatism and addressing issues head-on. I don't agree with him on everything but I sure as heck think he'd do a great job leading this country. I think it's one thing to look up to someone respectable and it's another to be taken in by someone who does nothing but lie and pander. Either way, I don't think voters should be worshiping the ground anyone walks on.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:26 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Nope.

Obama could win, Paul can't. Well, not anything beyond a Senate seat.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:31 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
While Rand Paul is undoubtedly a right-winger, Obama is very much centrist, not a leftist. His "radical" health care plan, is essentially the plan the GOP offered in the 1990s, written by the Heritage Foundation. His tax-plan calls for lower taxes than Reagan instituted.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:44 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,889 times
Obama isn't racist.

I say no

Old 03-17-2013, 02:04 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Consider: he's an attractive, charismatic first-term senator who has inspired rapturous praise because of some speeches he's given recently. His supporters describe him in Messianic terms and see him as the one great true hope to save America; they all but worship the ground he walks on... just as Obama supporters are constantly accused of doing with their guy.
So far I like Rand Paul, Rubio, West, Walker. Seems Rand Paul and Rubio who have different points of view are pulling out to get the most attention. The democrats are already using trash them tactics and the OP is trying to accuse people of messianic worship. People like that Rand Paul spoke against Drones against Americans. Nothing more, nothing less, no messianic worship.

Chris Matthews tells Obama supporters that Obama is the perfect man. No matter what Obama does the left wing media defend him. There is no such thing as a perfect man and there certainly is no such thing as a perfect politician. When any news media consistently tells me that a politician is perfect that tells me they are feeding me a bunch of propaganda. It is unbelievable that the Obama supporters are so naive they don't realize it.

There is a long time before the next election. A lot of things can be said and done. I will listen, I will watch, I will vote knowing that no politician is perfect (with eyes wide open).

That is the difference between a left winger and a right winger. The right wing understands how dangerous it is when a politician who has a cultish, messianic following is very dangerous for the well being of our country and the people. Left wing act as if the politician is god. Right wing will speak out against "all" politicians if we believe they are wrong.

Last edited by petch751; 03-17-2013 at 02:14 PM..

Old 03-17-2013, 02:37 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
The are that both are/were 1st term US senators who had presidential aspirations (presumed, in the case of Paul). Beyond that I don't see a lot of parallels. At one time I thought that Obama was a true believer lefty a la George McGovern, but now he seems like more of a pragmatist a la Bill Clinton, mainly interested in furtheriing his own power rather than a left wing agenda. Rand Paul is clearly a right wing true believer, and it doesn't seem likely that he would ever be one to "grow" (i.e. to compromise his principles) if he did become prez. He would probably be more like his father, sticking to his guns come hell or high water.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:46 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,512,367 times
He's inherited his father's sense of theatrics and will be just as effective. All smoke and no sizzle.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:14 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Only 8% of Americans now self-identify as Tea Party members*, and they're viewed by voters more unfavorably than favorably by nearly 20 points. Sure, Rand is a big hit at CPAC, whose attendees mostly come from that scant 8% of the electorate, but the rest of the country has already rejected the movement he leads. I highly doubt he will ever break into double digit support outside of his far right bubble.

So the answer to the OP's question is no.

*Just 8% Now Say They Are Tea Party Members - Rasmussen Reports™
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies