Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 01:42 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,073,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
And lets not forget about all those who use perfumes, colognes, Downey and other detergents in their laundry and daily cleaning!! All those chemicals are WAY more dangerous for people than smoking! And then there are those damn flowers and trees with their pollen!! Damn them! Every year poor people have to suffer with allergies and are uncomfortable! No one should have to put up with that!! Ban flowers and plants in people's houses, in their yards, places of business! How inconsiderate of those people!!
Your post is delusional beyond any possible merit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
So, then it's simple. If I'm outside, and the so-called proper distance, then leave me alone, and we're fine. However; don't walk up to a designated smoking area, and expect people to cater to you. It doesn't work that way. You know they're there. They're allowed to be there. So avoid it. It's not like we're in a closed elevator. Right?
10-4. See that wasn't so hard.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:03 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Let me ask you a very basic question.

Do you hve any idea how foul and disgusting the stench of tobacco smoke is, and how foul you stink when you are smoking? Y/N
Yes. That is what cologne is for.

Quote:
Your post is delusional beyond any possible merit.
No it wasn't. My wife has seasonal allergies, and they are much more bothersome than people smoking around her.

Quote:
10-4. See that wasn't so hard.
OK then. No problems. Just no more bans. We don't need them.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:21 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,467,143 times
Quote:
Let me be a bit more detailed in my position. My position is that smokers are free to smoke anywhere they wish, as long as they don't inflict their nicotine-laden smoke on others. How it is accomplished, I am not sure, but in a civilized society where the overwhelming majority of people are not hooked, certain changes need be made. Smokers, by and largge, in my considerable experience, don't seem to give a damn about the pain and misery they inflict on others.

I have no problem with people being able to smoke in cigar shops, tobacco shops etc., for to go into such a place implies consent to being exposed to tobacco smoke. Designed smoking places ditto. However, in other areas, I hold that no business owner has the legal or moral right to waive a patrons right to not be so exposed, so assaulted.

There are plenty of options available, but the first step is respecting the right of the non-smoker NOT to be assaulted with toxin-laden smoke. To a smoker, such smoke is manna from heaven. Toi everyone else, is is airborne sewerage, plus toxic.
Ah, I misunderstood then - with that clarification I think your position is exactly right.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:38 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,132,293 times
Quote:
Let me be a bit more detailed in my position. My position is that smokers are free to smoke anywhere they wish, as long as they don't inflict their nicotine-laden smoke on others. How it is accomplished, I am not sure, but in a civilized society where the overwhelming majority of people are not hooked, certain changes need be made. Smokers, by and largge, in my considerable experience, don't seem to give a damn about the pain and misery they inflict on others.

I have no problem with people being able to smoke in cigar shops, tobacco shops etc., for to go into such a place implies consent to being exposed to tobacco smoke. Designed smoking places ditto. However, in other areas, I hold that no business owner has the legal or moral right to waive a patrons right to not be so exposed, so assaulted.

There are plenty of options available, but the first step is respecting the right of the non-smoker NOT to be assaulted with toxin-laden smoke. To a smoker, such smoke is manna from heaven. Toi everyone else, is is airborne sewerage, plus toxic.
See...

Smokers are more than happy to accept reasoned arguments like this one.

I see nothing wrong with this position at all.

Honey works better than vinegar every time!

I recall stating early on in the thread that I am highly amenable to a designated "smoker's area" at apartment/condo complexes. No problem with that at all.

Give us somewhere to go and we'll go there. Well I will in any case. If anyone doesn't then feel free to pile on the civil or criminal penalties.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
most rentals are smoke free.. and if they're not the landlord is an idiot.. it's actually harder to find a rental that allows smoking.. I don't smoke.. but every place I've ever rented they've asked me if I did.. and when I say no.. they're like.. good.. because there's no smoking allowed.. seems like it's an unnecessary law
I sold our house back when my wife and I both smoked indoors and let me tell you by far the hardest part of getting the house ready for sale was getting rid of the smell and stains from the smoke. From then on we stopped smoking indoors.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm convinced they are control freaks....and unfortunately they were all taught by professors who feel the same way, so they feel like that is way to be, and it is not.
The liberal bias in education is a serious problem in this country and I don't understand why people aren't more concerned about it. There is simply no way that 80% of teachers can be Democrats merely by accident. It's liberals hiring other liberals who then bring liberal values into the classroom to create more liberals. The ratio of liberal to conservative teachers has been increasing over time. So it is not just some natural tendency for liberals to want to be educators nor is it a tendency for liberals to be more educated - if either of those were the case you would see more liberals than conservatives as teachers, but you would see a steady state. You would not see the ratio steadily increasing over time. And one would think that integrity and principles would cause even liberals themselves to be concerned about this trend.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Yes. That is what cologne is for.

No it wasn't. My wife has seasonal allergies, and they are much more bothersome than people smoking around her.

OK then. No problems. Just no more bans. We don't need them.
Cologine adds to the "aromas" but doesn't subtract any. But at least you were kind enough to provide an honest answer. Thank you for that

Ok. so you might object if it took ragweed pollen and blew it, hour after hour, into the air your wife was breathing, will, simultaneously claiming it was my right to do so, and watching her red dripping eyes and her sneezing and wheezing from the effects of my airborne pollen.

Do you think I was within my rights to do so in such a location, OR do you think by spewing a known allergen into the air other people are breathing, I might be violating their rights, a tad bit? Please be honest again.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
The liberal bias in education is a serious problem in this country and I don't understand why people aren't more concerned about it. There is simply no way that 80% of teachers can be Democrats merely by accident. It's liberals hiring other liberals who then bring liberal values into the classroom to create more liberals. The ratio of liberal to conservative teachers has been increasing over time. So it is not just some natural tendency for liberals to want to be educators nor is it a tendency for liberals to be more educated - if either of those were the case you would see more liberals than conservatives as teachers, but you would see a steady state. You would not see the ratio steadily increasing over time. And one would think that integrity and principles would cause even liberals themselves to be concerned about this trend.
Just to clarify, you are NOT referring to me as a "liberal" - right? I am a dedicated Conservative, dittohead, Sean and Mark Levin devotee. I have been pro-conservative, and anti-liberal since McGovern.

Some people see other issues in odd ways too, but just like my opposition to abortion is NOT to control women, but rather, to protect the unborn child, my oppositon to "public" smoking is NOT to control smokers, but to proect non-smokers. In both cases, some would scream like stuck pigs that the positons could be held only by control freaks, and it just isn't so.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:56 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Quote:
Cologine adds to the "aromas" but doesn't subtract any. But at least you were kind enough to provide an honest answer. Thank you for that

Ok. so you might object if it took ragweed pollen and blew it, hour after hour, into the air your wife was breathing, will, simultaneously claiming it was my right to do so, and watching her red dripping eyes and her sneezing and wheezing from the effects of my airborne pollen.

Do you think I was within my rights to do so in such a location, OR do you think by spewing a known allergen into the air other people are breathing, I might be violating their rights, a tad bit? Please be honest again.
To your first question...If it's permitted in that particular establishment, or they are in an area designated for them, then no. Now if I violate a rule, such as in an establishment where it is not allowed, then yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies