Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 07:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Except that it is illegal and when you are caught you head to jail. Sounds like an excellent job venture to me.
When 60% of the cigarettes are from another state then there's too many people doing it to make rounding them up beneficial.

Too many small timers doing cigarette runs for neighborhoods.
Too easy to just cross state lines and buy somewhere else..one can always say "I went to Jersey yesterday and bought them." if you live in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 07:51 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
When 60% of the cigarettes are from another state then there's too many people doing it to make rounding them up beneficial.

Too many small timers doing cigarette runs for neighborhoods.
Too easy to just cross state lines and buy somewhere else..one can always say "I went to Jersey yesterday and bought them." if you live in NYC.
Don't care, if that is what it takes to feed someone's addiction, then let them commute or god forbid, move to a tobacco state where cigarettes are dirt cheap.

It is a free country, you don't have to live in New York if you don't like it here.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:54 AM

23,867 posts, read 24,099,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcrow2 View Post

This makes rolling cigatettes fun! This is for my viewers who choose to smoke! - YouTube

Here is a link that shows how easy it is to buy loose tobacco and tubes and make your own. Avoid the taxes NY and buy it in bulk from one of the Indian Res. and make your own. Tell Bloominidiot to stick it.
It's cheaper for me to buy cartons than make my own cigs. That's thanks to one of Obama's first actions as President - signing the SCHIP bill into law - which enacted the largest tax increase in U.S. history. Over 2400% on little cigars, and over 2100% on loose cigarette tobacco. The tax has to be paid at the point of production, not sale, so there's no way around it, even for the reservation stores. With my time factored in, it just doesn't make sense to make my own anymore.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Don't care, if that is what it takes to feed someone's addiction, then let them commute or god forbid, move to a tobacco state where cigarettes are dirt cheap.

It is a free country, you don't have to live in New York if you don't like it here.
Why would they move when a one hour trip gets them what they want at a lower price ?

And if you don't care then fine...let them do what they want.
Why go to extremes and tell them to move the hell out ?

Old 03-19-2013, 07:59 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Why would they move when a one hour trip gets them what they want at a lower price ?

And if you don't care then fine...let them do what they want.
Why go to extremes and tell them to move the hell out ?
I am not telling anyone to move the help out, I am saying this is a free country where you csn live where you are happy. If one is miserable in New York, then move or stay here and be miserable, I don't care.

Also, cigarettes are even cheaper in a tobacco state if the cost for cigarettes is a big issue.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
I am not telling anyone to move the help out, I am saying this is a free country where you csn live where you are happy. If one is miserable in New York, then move or stay here and be miserable, I don't care.

Also, cigarettes are even cheaper in a tobacco state if the cost for cigarettes is a big issue.
Who says they are miserable ?
That 60% of cigarettes sold in NY come from another state shows that people are innovative and find ways around stupid taxes in spite of their local government.

Cigarettes are the cheapest when bought on Indian Reservations.

People are resilient and adapt quickly when given options.
They are not sheeple that blindly follow and do what their government says.

To me..that's GOOD.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:07 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,376,620 times
Here is the sad reality about Nanny Bloomingidiot.

There is a marketplace out there that makes this idiot a player. The residents of NYC WANT to be controled by this miserable createn. THEY WANT IT.

How sad is that?

Old 03-19-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post

There is a marketplace out there that makes this idiot a player. The residents of NYC WANT to be controled by this miserable createn. THEY WANT IT.

How sad is that?
Apathy is what got him reelected.
Only 26% of registered voters voted in 2009 and sent him back lowest percentage since 1969.
That's what sitting at home will get you.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:38 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,705,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post

How sad is that?
FYI, most people do not smoke, so most either do not care or actually actively support this legislation. The smokers are a minority and are fairly annoying to non-smokers, especially in a crowded city like New York where you'd get "the looks" even if you light on the street. I think there should be some threshold where if an area hits like 50,000 or 70,000 people per sq mile density it should be treated like a non-smoking zone or something. Even before the ban in crowded places like Times Square most smokers just felt uncomfortable lighting there since there was so many people.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:46 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Even before the ban in crowded places like Times Square most smokers just felt uncomfortable lighting there since there was so many people.
It's been awhile since I've been to NYC but I never felt uncomfortable smoking there and I doubt getting a bunch of frowns from "mommy americans" would bother me either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies