Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 03:04 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,381,706 times

Advertisements

My most serious problem with the science of CAGW is the scientists that are telling me the earth is warming out of control are lying too much.

Marcott et al says we are warmer than we have been in 11000 years. only now we find out, the paper is junk and really we arent.

Lewandowsky et al was so bad the journal that published it, has pulled the paper it passed review but failed the "sniff test" lies.

We hear these guys telling us Tornado activity is at an all time high, but NOAA's own website says that isnt true. in fact there is NO evidence of this at all.

We hear hurricanes are at all time highs and storms are getting stronger... but they arent and they arent... at least according to the hard science that puts actual numbers to it.

If these guys wont stop lying about all this, how am I expected to believe them when they tell me CAGW is a real, and very bad thing?

Old 04-03-2013, 03:06 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
How old are you anyway? Twelve, thirteen?

She isnt young. not by any streatch.... it's just that she tends to be a bit hysterical and doesnt really deal with actual factual facts so much as running off on tangents that dont really mean things.

like making claims then refusing to back them up with facts. The good news is she is consistant accross all subjects and doesnt confine the hysterics to CAGW threads.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:40 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
She isnt young. not by any streatch.... it's just that she tends to be a bit hysterical and doesnt really deal with actual factual facts so much as running off on tangents that dont really mean things.

like making claims then refusing to back them up with facts. The good news is she is consistant accross all subjects and doesnt confine the hysterics to CAGW threads.
"Actual factual facts" - That's what I want!

Old 04-04-2013, 06:39 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Is that an insult? Or you're simply angry because I call Republicans exactly what they are?
I call Repubicans names sometimes too, but your posts are getting silly and sounding rather childish.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:44 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Were you about to point out a study that actually proved a link between man's activities and Global Whatever?

I didn't think so.

The kooks' record of failure remains unblemished.
Okay, you twisted my arm. The ignorance of right wingnuts is so boundless, and their lying capabilities are so unparalleled by anyone that has ever existed. However, it's clear that engaging in website link posting duels is one thing that excites them. I find it abhorrent, given that most people don't bother to click on the websites and read them. I certainly try to avoid reading what links people post, almost always those posted by right wingers, since 90% of those are right wing propaganda (Rush Limbaugh, preachers, and all that right wing BS). However, I will do this for you, since you're so incredibly delightful. LOL

For starters, just so you know, I'm planning to ignore all right wing extremist links, and anything that has been financed by the Koch Brothers, so be choosy in what website links you start posting. Hesitate before you click copy, and then paste. Any right wing propaganda you post, shall be ignored.

PART I

Who finances the right wing denial of the sciences?

Many right wing wealthy sources. For example: $67,047,064.00 <-- the funding the Koch Brothers have donated to groups and individuals who have been willing to deny scientific proof of climate change in exchange for $. Koch Industries: Secretly Funding the Climate Denial Machine | Greenpeace

And by the way, how do right wingers pronounce their name? I ask because they're right wingers, and you're a right winger...

How do right wingers get anyone to back their denial of science? Many ways. Here's the connection between climate change denial books and right wing think tanks:

Here's part of the right wing propaganda machine technique for science denial. First, you right wingers seek out (to hire) anyone willing to deny science. It can be a disgruntled scientist, an out of work scientist, a failed scientist, a fired scientist, a scientist who couldn't get funding, Ronald McDonald, or just a plain old right wingnut with no training in science whatsoever. Then you right wingers (well, the richer ones anyway, such as the Koch Brothers), PAY for them to write books denying science. Science denial can be directed at various sciences, anything from geology, astronomy, atmospheric science, evolution, global climate studies, or any other science that doesn't promote, or might prove a threat to, the corporate profit motive, or the Noah-Had-Polar-Bears-In-The-Ark evangelical interpretation of how the earth came to be.

The connection between climate change denial books and right-wing think tanks | Climate Science Watch

What are examples of the think tanks that promote false pseudo-science notions, AND give the image that climate science denial is legitimate?

Heartland Institute And James Taylor
Competitive Enterprise Institute
Chris Horner And The American Tradition Institute
Manhattan Institute And Robert Bryce
Heritage Foundation
Cato Institute And Patrick Michaels
American Enterprise Institute
Marc Morano
Anthony Watts
Steve Milloy
Joe Bastardi
Matt Ridley
Larry Bell

Meet The Climate Denial Machine | Blog | Media Matters for America

This article is excellent, as it outlines what each of those listed think tanks and individuals do and how they contribute to deny real science and promote climate denial and pseudo-science.

Science peer-reviewed journals are the heart of science. It is in these that scientific discoveries and knowledge is published, and scrutinized by other scientists (peer review). So here's the important question, in all these right wing climate denial publishings, have any of them ever been published in a scientific journal, and gotten past a peer review?

Despite the millions right wingers spend on climate and science denial, and the countless think tanks all promoting science denial, publishing books, hiring failed scientists, running websites, getting spokespersons, etc., it would've seemed that sooner or later two things would happen: 1) They would've sooner or later have managed to pay their way into getting some of their science-denial articles peer reviewed (after all, if they could buy themselves some scientists to write falsehoods, why wouldn't they be able to buy some false peer review too?); and, 2) Someone would've found at least one of the false science article to have had some validity.

The reality is this:
Of 13,950 articles peer-reviewed between 1991 and 2012, only 24 "deny" global warming.
Why Climate Deniers Have No Scientific Credibility - In One Pie Chart | DeSmogBlog

Of those articles that "rejected" global warming AND were peer-reviewed, Phil Plait (an astronomer) found that NONE of them OUTRIGHT REJECTED or DENIED global warming. Other reviews of other articles by Naomi Oreskes found the same thing - over years, the published articles by scientists that were allegedly denying global warming, did not reject global warming. (Naomi Oreskes published an excellent book, Merchants of Doubt, which paralleled the denial of global warming - the right wing extremists' sowing the seeds of "doubt about science," - to such other right wing extremist denials of science. For example, tobacco smoking causing cancer, acid rain having an effect, and the denial of the known hole in the ozone layer - all are stories of the right wing extremists' misuse of science, through the hiring of a tiny handful of right wing extremist scientists, who were willing to lie for a right wing agenda - for example, Robert Jastrow, Frederick Seitz, and S. Fred Singer - scientists who sold themselves).

(I'll continue this later. Meantime, I'll give you time to start researching the right wing machinery of lies denying science, and wait till you get back to me)

Old 04-04-2013, 09:59 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Marcott et al says we are warmer than we have been in 11000 years. only now we find out, the paper is junk and really we arent.

McIntyre is ripping him a new one right now as they are playing political games in terms of his questions to the lacking in their research. This is getting old, I mean... Hansen puts out some bogus research about surface temps, McIntyre fights with him for years and finally gets it retracted.

Mann comes out with his garbage, McIntyre points out some issues, Mann fights with him playing political games and refusing to release his data/methodology. Eventually, McIntyre and McKitrick show it to be garbage and it gets retracted, only to have him publish a new version that is essentially the same tricks, to which again... McIntyre shows to be garbage and it gets retracted, which of course, then Mann has his students publish a paper that purports to review Mann's paper and claims it is validated... only again to have McIntyre point out the same flaws again...

This is stupid beyond belief. The whole climate science boondoggle has been a sore in the field of science, tarnished its name and set back actual productive work in the field decades due to all of the effort being put into chasing unicorns and rainbows while others keep pointing out the fairytale.

Just look at the crap Marcott is pulling.

The Marcott Filibuster

Just imagine how much we might already know if these fools weren't wasting all this time on making the field nothing more than a political soap box? It is a shame, a crying shame.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:05 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
For the benefit of the dim witted and for their personal edification, the earth heats periodically and cools periodically.

al-Gore is just profiting from all the hysteria he created.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:10 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn
Were you about to point out a study that actually proved a link between man's activities and Global Whatever?

I didn't think so.

The kooks' record of failure remains unblemished.
(long, hysterical screed changing the subject yet again, calling people names, accusing them of vast conspiracies, attacking their character, desperately pretending the subject is "global warming" rather than "man's effect on global warming", telling them to look up proof themselves etc. deleted)
As I expected. Still not a single study, or even a link to a study, proving any connection between man's activites and Global Whatever.

40-plus years of such caterwauling, and the song still remains the same.

The kooks' record of failure STILL remains 0-for-everything.

(yawn)

Last edited by Little-Acorn; 04-04-2013 at 10:35 AM..

Old 04-04-2013, 10:10 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,896 times
You realize the media sensationalizing extreme weather for ratings has nothing to do with the merits of climate change, right?

In 20 years, this thread title will read about as absurdly as "Heliocentrism... LOL."

Old 04-04-2013, 10:17 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
You realize the media sensationalizing extreme weather for ratings has nothing to do with the merits of climate change, right?

In 20 years, this thread title will read about as absurdly as "Heliocentrism... LOL."
The hysterics still believe that if you tell a big enough lie, often enough, people will believe it and it will become The Truth.

Their spiritual mentor said so often enough, in the 1930s. So it must be true. Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies