Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Yes 27 67.50%
No 13 32.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 05:37 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,257,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
If two cousins want to marry, and they are consensual adults, why should they not be allowed to?
I don't know anyone who has ever wanted to marry a cousin. Therefore, I am unfamiliar with any arguments for or against it. That is a different subject. Since you live in North Carolina, would you care to share your experiences on the subject?

Old 03-28-2013, 07:05 AM

470 posts, read 438,432 times
Default Why Gay Marriage Will Destroy Institutional Marriage

If you approve of gay marriage then you would have to approve of polygamy. And why stop there what happens if someone wants to marry their pet. You may laugh about it but your opening up a pandora box.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:06 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,561 times
this has already been done...

Old 03-28-2013, 07:09 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
There are a number of restrictions on marriage.
Age of consent.
Blood relation.
Number of participants.
Gender (in some states)
Race (before Loving v Virginia)

Each one has it's own reasons for being there.
The race restriction was removed because there was no valid reason to keep it.
The gender requirement is being removed because there is no valid reason to keep it.

Others may change, but each will have to stand or fall based on it's own merits.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:09 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mask View Post
If you approve of gay marriage then you would have to approve of polygamy.
No, you wouldn't.

Tolerating something is not the same as approving of something.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:10 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,412 times
Quote:
If you approve of gay marriage then you would have to approve of polygamy. And why stop there what happens if someone wants to marry their pet. You may laugh about it but your opening a pandora box.
Why? I don't see how one leads to the other.

How is a pet a consenting adult? Your pet can't consent to anything else, why just marriage to you?

People want the Biblical definition of marriage, but they only seem to want the Genesis 2:24 version.

We don't make rapists marry their victims, or soldiers marry prisoners of war...we made a choice.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:11 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
Quote:
If you approve of gay marriage then you would have to approve of polygamy. And why stop there what happens if someone wants to marry their pet. You may laugh about it but your opening up a pandora box.

I have always thought that the 'slippery slope' rationale is, well, not rational. One does not follow the other.

Anyway, I doubt if our society will ever approve of marriage between people and animals (if for nothing else, animals cannot enter into contracts), or polygamy, or incestual relationships.

Frankly even if, say, polygamy, were someday made legal, it would not affect me one whit. It would only affect those directly involved. Heck, in some isolated parts of the United States there are polygamist families even as we speak, and yet my pancakes still tasted good this morning, and I still love my wife, and I still have to go to work.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:15 AM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I have always thought that the 'slippery slope' rationale is, well, not rational. One does not follow the other.

Anyway, I doubt if our society will ever approve of marriage between people and animals (if for nothing else, animals cannot enter into contracts), or polygamy, or incestual relationships.

Frankly even if, say, polygamy, were someday made legal, it would not affect me one whit. It would only affect those directly involved. Heck, in some isolated parts of the United States there are polygamist families even as we speak, and yet my pancakes still tasted good this morning, and I still love my wife, and I still have to go to work.
I never thought I would see the day that a traditional marriage between gays would become acceptable either. Yes, it is opening a Pandora's Box.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:18 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
By your logic if you approve of alcohol you'd have to approve of all other drugs that get one high, eh?

The only box being opened is the one enclosing peoples' minds.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:20 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,382,136 times
Yay! Another anti-gay marriage thread. Cause I think there was a bit of open space left in the forum.

Nope. I don't believe that just because you are for one cause, you should be for everything.
Polygamy I have no issue with. Beastiality, ick!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.