Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2013, 05:31 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Ridiculous comment.
When you start using your god thingie, you open all doors and windows for comment.
Marriage was an "institution" way before the US was a country.
Do you have an obsessive-compulsive illness about using the phrase 'god thingie.' I didn't come close to using god. The Bible is as irrelevant to me as what happened in Egypt 4,000 years ago to form an opinion about ssm.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:36 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Exactly. I would agree to civil unions between any two people, maybe even more, this could be used in a variety of other situations also allowing certain legal rights and benefits for those individuals. They want it called "marriage" because many have a complex and were brought up to believe the lifestyle that they are living is a sin and even if they don't, a lot of those people around them do.
Uh nope. They want to get married for the same range of reasons that heterosexual couples do. You are projecting.
Quote:
Unfortunately, changing the laws of man will not change the laws of God. Marriage is between a man and a woman. They will continue to insist upon the term marriage because they believe it will normalize their activities/lifestyles. Seriously, has anyone heard an argument for why the agenda demands the word "marriage" if rights would be the same because I haven't.
This is about secular civil laws, not the 'laws' of your particular religion. If you don't like same-sex marriage, don't marry someone of the same-sex. It's that simple.

If you wouldn't like other people to force their religious 'laws' on you, don't try to force your religious 'laws' on others who don't believe what you believe.

Your 'god' isn't the only one in town afterall.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT3 View Post
No. There's no such thing as a two men or a two women marriage.
Of course there is. Go to any state where same-sex marriage is legal and you could marry the man of your dreams.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Look. If a man lies with a male as with a woman, it is a perversion. It follows that if a man married a male as a man would marry a woman, it would be a perversion too.
Willfull ignorance, hate and prejudice are perversions.

I thought you claim to be a Christian?

So why aren't you following the teachings of Christ? Notice the bolded words? I see none of that in your posts.

John 13:34-35
“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.

“By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Mark 12:28-31
"The second is this, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.There is no other commandment greater than these.”
Romans 13:8-10
Let, no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. The commandments, “Do not commit adultery,” “Do not murder,” “Do not steal,” “Do not covet", and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no harm to its neighbor.

Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.
1 John 4:18:
Jesus said: "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love. We love, because He first loved us.
1 John 4:16-21
God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. By this, love is perfected with us, so that we may have confidence in the day of judgment; because as He is, so also are we in this world.

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love. We love, because He first loved us.

If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen. And this commandment we have from Him, that the one who loves God should love his brother also.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:18 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Look. If a man lies with a male as with a woman, it is a perversion. It follows that if a man married a male as a man would marry a woman, it would be a perversion too.
Do you follow all of the laws in Leviticus?

Old 04-02-2013, 06:23 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
Quote:
They want it called "marriage" because many have a complex and were brought up to believe the lifestyle that they are living is a sin and even if they don't, a lot of those people around them do.
I don't have a complex. I want to call what I have a "marriage" because it's what it's called when two people love each other, want to make a permanent commitment to each other to build a life together, and want to have their permanent commitment recognized not only by the law but also by the community.

That's what a marriage is.

And in case you're wondering, from reading my comment you can't tell what the sex of the person I'm "married" to is.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:34 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,851,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
This is about secular civil laws, not the 'laws' of your particular religion. If you don't like same-sex marriage, don't marry someone of the same-sex. It's that simple.

If you wouldn't like other people to force their religious 'laws' on you, don't try to force your religious 'laws' on others who don't believe what you believe.
Quoted for emphasis. I don't know why this is such a difficult concept for some people to grasp.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:18 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
I'm thinking lights out, long white nighties and checkered PJ's, chaste kiss, no foreplay, only have sex when they want to "procreate".
And they want to remain childfree.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:20 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapperCheck View Post
Why do you guys have such a problem with two people standing up and pledging their devotion to and love for each other and calling it marriage?
Or three, or six.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:24 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Or three, or six.

Clever, huh?

Only you will find that most people have no problem with polygamy... except that it is entirely unworkable under our current laws to have more than 1+1 marriage.

Figure out how plural marriage could work first, and THEN worry about whether it can or should happen.

That isn't today's debate, however, so why don't we save our energies for when the polygamists come clamouring? If you have no independent reasons against polygamy in the future when it becomes an issue, then maybe it SHOULD be legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies