Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 03:37 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,983,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
In the "America Under the Gun" report, Montana ranked 13th highest for gun violence. It has weak gun laws, scoring only 2 out of 100 on the Brady scoring of strength of state gun laws.

http://www.americanprogress.org/wp-c...erTheGun-3.pdf

Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
right! "the brady bunch"
slanted statistics at their best!
of course, everybody slants the numbers to look best for THEIR cause!
That is the great failing of "statistics", you can prove whatever you want, IF you have the money to buy the statistician!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 09:51 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Wyoming had 11 gun homicides in 2011. That gives them a gun homicide rate close to 1.9. My city will have that many homicides in a week.

Wyoming QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
FBI — Table 20
Shhhhh. Don't confuse our resident statistician.

The only correlating variable to gun violence is the gun laws in the state.

Poverty doesn't matter, drug gangs, urbanization.....nope....nothing matters except the gun laws in the state.

Trust the OP, they took a lot of stats classes. Just don't ask if they passed them or they get touchy.

Seriously though, I haven't seen such a parade of double-speak and statistical abuse since I got stuck listening to Rush Limbaugh for 15minutes once....

Old 04-06-2013, 11:06 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times
Funny stuff. I heard an earnest young lady talking about this study on the way into work this morning.

I lived in Chicago for years. It had very strict gun control, and Illinois is still the only state without some form of concealed carry, thought that may be about to change.

I moved to Seattle, where 5 minutes of paperwork gets you a CCW if you are law-abiding. The difference was night and day. There are more murders in a Chicago zip code in a year than in the entire county where I am now.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:07 PM

1,127 posts, read 904,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Funny stuff. I heard an earnest young lady talking about this study on the way into work this morning.

I lived in Chicago for years. It had very strict gun control, and Illinois is still the only state without some form of concealed carry, thought that may be about to change.

I moved to Seattle, where 5 minutes of paperwork gets you a CCW if you are law-abiding. The difference was night and day. There are more murders in a Chicago zip code in a year than in the entire county where I am now.
You think the murders in Chicago are a result of their gun laws, that's a pretty stupid conclusion

Old 04-07-2013, 01:12 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,862,582 times
Default "ellements" firearm study

A few thoughts on Alaska firearm deaths.

First off the study that ellemint cites is suspect due to the source of the funding.

She also cites the AMA. I work in health care and recently completed a course about how to be published in peer review journals. The AMA journal, JAMA, has long been esteemed and many years ago could be counted on to provide excellent studies. Not so much anymore. When dissected many of their current studies have a bias to the desired outcome. Many of the studies are agenda driven. Anyone that is educated about studies that is willing to dissect the study would be able to determine that for themselves.

Studys such as the one ellement cited generally look at just numbers not the reason for the numbers. (And in this case may massage the numbers for a predetermined outcome).

Because I live in Alaska and have worked in the health care field one way or another for over 30 years most of it in bush, (rural), Alaska I believe I have some insight when it come to firearm violence.

Alaska has a younger population. – That is a reason there are so many younger people included in firearm deaths. In Anchorage we have a gang problem that contributes to the “young” firearm violence. (Gang on gang firearm deaths.)

Alaska has a high rate of mental health issues, especially depression, and very little mental health care not only in the bush areas but also in the cities.

Alaska has a huge alcohol problem, (and an emerging drug problem), especially in the remote villages. Lack of mental health care, the long dark winters, high unemployment rates, mix that with despair and depression = disaster.

(Maybe we should outlaw alcohol and illegal drugs? Oh yeah illegal drugs are already illigeal and in most Alaska bush villages alcohol importation and possession is also illegal).

Alaska has a high suicide rate. Most of the firearm deaths are due to suicide.

“Officially” Alaska has the second highest ownership of firearms. I suspect it is actually the highest as many Alaskans are fiercely independent and would never admit to owning firearms or the number of firearms that they own.

In bush Alaska I would bet there are firearms in 98% of all homes.

The firearms in bush Alaska are almost never stored locked up, no safes, no trigger locks. Most all of the village homes I have been in the firearms are in the arctic entry or in a corner of the home and many are loaded. Quick access to a loaded gun = disaster.

Hunting is a large part of Alaskan life even those that live in the larger cities. So there are several accidental deaths related to hunting.

Alaska has a high rate of mental health issues, especially depression, and very little mental health care not only in the bush areas but also in the cities.

Alaska has some very remote villages most that can only be accessed by air.

Alaska has some very severe weather often preventing air travel.

The remote village have limited or no emergency health care.

There are many times that when a person is injured by a firearm in bush Alaska and due to the remoteness that person dies from the injury. That same person would have survived if they were closer to a hospital. They then become a firearm death instead of a firearm injury.

Add that all up and of course Alaska has a high death rate by firearms.

So you see ellement, you need to dig a little deeper before you draw conclusions from “raw” numbers. If you look at many of the states on the top of that list I would bet there are many similarities with those states and Alaska.

That study did not separate homicides, suicides, self defense, or accidental shooting.

Last edited by hogfamily; 04-07-2013 at 01:35 PM..

Old 04-07-2013, 01:17 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,043,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
You think the murders in Chicago are a result of their gun laws, that's a pretty stupid conclusion
Their gun laws stop people from preventing murders, many times their own. Are you saying that gun laws have no affect on murder rate?

Old 04-07-2013, 01:22 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
You believe that you have the power to read minds, and you think I'm the stupid one?

I didn't say that "murders in Chicago are a result of their gun laws." But I do think that Chicago's high murder rate and strict gun control, along with Seattle's low murder rate and loose gun laws contradicts the recent study.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:25 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,862,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Their gun laws stop people from preventing murders, many times their own. Are you saying that gun laws have no affect on murder rate?
Are you saying murder is stopped by gun laws?

Old 04-07-2013, 01:38 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,043,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
Are you saying murder is stopped by gun laws?
Not in the least bit, exactly the opposite actually. Anyone willing to murder someone else isn't going to give a damn about gun laws. On the other hand gun laws do prevent law abiding citizens from defending against murders and other law breakers.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:51 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
A new study released yesterday by The Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence reported "a clear link between high levels of gun violence and weak state gun laws."

Across the key indicators of gun violence that were analyzed, the 10 states with the weakest gun laws collectively had an aggregate level of gun violence more than twice as high—104 percent higher, in fact—than the 10 states with the strongest gun laws.

The most violent states:

1.Louisiana
2.Alaska
3.Alabama
4.Arizona
5.Mississippi
6.South Carolina
7.New Mexico
8.Missouri
9.Arkansas
10.Georgia

The data analyzed in this report relate to the following 10 indicators of gun violence:

-Overall firearm deaths in 2010
-Overall firearm deaths from 2001 through 2010
-Firearm homicides in 2010
-Firearm suicides in 2010
-Firearm homicides among women from 2001 through 2010
-Firearm deaths among children ages 0 to 17, from 2001 through 2010
-Law-enforcement agents feloniously killed with a firearm from 2002 through 2011
-Aggravated assaults with a firearm in 2011
-Crime-gun export rates in 2009
-Percentage of crime guns with a short “time to crime” in 2009

States were ranked on these indicators and then compared to the ranking of states on the strength of their gun laws.

You can access the report and download fact sheets on the most violent states here:

America Under the Gun | Center for American Progress

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/03/us...weak-laws.html
Shear crockery........ total hog wash.....

Vermont is the best of all states for gun laws and you need no permit to carry concealed even and Vermont has very low violent crime rats, next in New Hampshire. Here each 4 years for 10 bucks i can renew my ccw permit and i don't really need one. If the state makes it $10.01 i just won't pay that much excess..

It is well proven by now that the states with most Draconian Laws have the hyighest crime rates and that counts cities with even harsher laws like NYC and Chicago.

Total Bull Chit Hog wash and LIES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies