Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 12:58 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,008,217 times

Advertisements

"Leaning forward"

Bitter, uneducated, foul-mouthed Obamacrats curse at Barack Obama for saying nice things about Baroness Margaret Thatcher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 01:17 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,778,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I already stated that their social positions were more libertarian than conservative.
If that is true, then we can also say the US Dems are more libertarians, and not liberal, but in US you are not allowed to call liberals libertarians, because Republicans want to be libertarian (it's hip), and that would put them in the same boat with liberals, which cannot ever happen. In US the social positions of UK conservatives are called LIBERAL.

Quote:
There are some conservatives who share socially conservative positions similar to US Republicans, but you also have to view this in its proper cultural context. British people are quite libertarian socially, unlike Americans who usually view social issues through a religious prism.
Either way, they would be social liberals in US.

Quote:
However when you divorce the social positions from the economic ones, you will see that the Conservatives are much closer to Republicans than to Democrats.
I still think 62% tax rate, universal health care, pro-climate change, frugal defence spending, social liberalism puts them squarely in Dem side, but we can agree to disagree.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:22 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,038,633 times
LOL I'm listening to Sean Hannity having an orgasm as he talks about Maggie!

Old 04-08-2013, 01:22 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,376,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If that is true, then we can also say the US Dems are more libertarians, and not liberal, but in US you are not allowed to call liberals libertarians, because Republicans want to be libertarian (it's hip), and that would put them in the same boat with liberals, which cannot ever happen. In US the social positions of UK conservatives are called LIBERAL.

Either way, they would be social liberals in US.

I still think 62% tax rate, universal health care, pro-climate change, frugal defence spending, social liberalism puts them squarely in Dem side, but we can agree to disagree.
Again, you are failing to see the party in the proper cultural context. That's OK; you might lack that context.

We'll have to agree to disagree, because at the end of the day I don't really care if you agree with me or not.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:24 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,376,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wytrvn View Post
LOL I'm listening to Sean Hannity having an orgasm as he talks about Maggie!
Yeah...if he'd been a talking head in 1975 he probably would have backed Heath over Thatcher for the leadership of the Conservative Party.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree, because at the end of the day I don't really care if you agree with me or not.
Yea, I couldn't care less either

Old 04-08-2013, 02:09 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,805,688 times
I could never stand her, and nothing will change about that just because she died. All that post-mortal glorification now is just ridiculous...

Old 04-08-2013, 02:22 PM

10,264 posts, read 15,989,924 times
Thatcher was a great leader whose career was destroyed by backstabbing liberals and cowardly traitors. The movie Iron Lady tried to portray her negative but couldn't even really do that cause it was based on true events. I loved how she stood up to the corrupt liberal unions and to the cowards and traitors who wanted to just let Argentina have the Falklands and abandon the British citizens there to a dictatorship.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I could never stand her, and nothing will change about that just because she died. All that post-mortal glorification now is just ridiculous...
I thought she was cool, but I thought she died some 10 years ago.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:45 PM

13,186 posts, read 15,007,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easkey View Post
It is a sad reflection on ones life to be hated by the majority of the world , and she has been and will be when ever her name appears . they will always be a certan % of people who love what she stood for and what she acomplished but then again some people loved hitler and still do . I dont pretend to be God , but if theres is one , she will be judged on the number of people she killed , I imagine Ronnie , George Bush and her self will have plenty of time to discuss it over a spot of tea. R I P I dont think so.
I love the fact these right wingers come here praise this foul piece of work, and attack the ANC and Nelson Mandela. It goes to very heart of why the GOP is being removed from office. People are tired of right wing racists and bigots, and people are tired of those that bash poor people.

By all means, carry on GOP base voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies