Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 02:45 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
I pay cash for my cars I haven't had a car loan in 10 years

Same, I pay cash for mine as well. I also won't pay over 10k for a car either. Waste of money. It never sat well with me, the idea that I would be driving around someones car for a while as I pay it off and that is exactly what you are doing when you buy a car on credit, driving the banks car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 03:27 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Same, I pay cash for mine as well. I also won't pay over 10k for a car either. Waste of money. It never sat well with me, the idea that I would be driving around someones car for a while as I pay it off and that is exactly what you are doing when you buy a car on credit, driving the banks car.

If you fail to pay the registration every year on your paid-off car it will become The Man's car just as quick. Same with taxes on a "paid-off" house incidently.

Ah the joys of 21st century serfdom... it turns out our most valuable possessions aren't really "ours" after all because if we want to keep them we have to keep paying.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:32 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
If you fail to pay the registration every year on your paid-off car it will become The Man's car just as quick. Same with taxes on a "paid-off" house incidently.

Ah the joys of 21st century serfdom... it turns out our most valuable possessions aren't really "ours" after all because if we want to keep them we have to keep paying.

The government doesn't take your car if you don't pay registration. You're just not allowed to drive the car on the PUBLICALLY maintained roads... and/or you will get fined.

And, what recourse do you suggest should exist for those who do not pay property taxes? People who do not pay their taxes but enjoy the benefits of county and city services that maintain and protect their property and contribute to land and home values are cheats and freeloaders who do not pay their fair share. They shouldn't be sympathized with.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:46 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The government doesn't take your car if you don't pay registration. You're just not allowed to drive the car on the PUBLICALLY maintained roads... and/or you will get fined.

And, what recourse do you suggest should exist for those who do not pay property taxes? People who do not pay their taxes but enjoy the benefits of county and city services that maintain and protect their property and contribute to land and home values are cheats and freeloaders who do not pay their fair share. They shouldn't be sympathized with.
What good is a car if you can't drive it past your property line?

I'm OK about paying your fair share for public services too but confiscating someone's property for not paying isn't the only way to punish deadbeats.

My point is that ownership is ultimately an illusion anyway, so why feel bad about making payments to a bank?

Old 04-10-2013, 03:50 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Just what i expected...a fantasyland thread.

In real life, i might know 2 people that can drop cash on a new car.

Come to C-D, and half the board has the ability to do so. LMAO..

Anyway.....

48 months is perfectly reasonable. 60 months is long, but doable.

People want bigger and more expensive cars...and they apparently don't want used ones.

With these low interest rates, i can't understand why anyone would finance a car that long.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:11 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
What good is a car if you can't drive it past your property line?

If you want to use the publically maintained roads, then you gotta pay the government registration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango
I'm OK about paying your fair share for public services too but confiscating someone's property for not paying isn't the only way to punish deadbeats.
What else is there?

And I know at least in my state you have to go a really long time not paying taxes before it becomes an issue. Sell the dang house before it gets taken from you!

Usually, the tax liens are sold to private investors and for... I think 18 months... the owner has a right to redemption from the lien holder, at backtaxes owed plus interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango
My point is that ownership is ultimately an illusion anyway, so why feel bad about making payments to a bank?
The only bank loans I have ever had that I feel bad about are my student loans, because they appear to reduce in principal slower than a mortgage.

Ownership is not an illusion, however. You OWN your home. You OWN your car. However, you have a lien on the car that you voluntarily put there by working with the bank... your object is merely COLLATERAL in case you default.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Correct, it is for such and that is why I don't get upset about it. If a person choses not to drive their car off their property, they are not required to register it (ie pay).

Quote:
What of those who do not use those services? My old home town was constantly providing "services" that I did not use any of. They continued to raise property taxes to fund those services I did not use. So, technically, there is no such thing as owning a home. It isn't yours, it is the city, county or state. Now there certainly are some states and locales within them that do not have property tax. For instance, in DFW Texas, there is a city called Westlake which has no property tax.

It really is plain and simple. The reason property taxes are assessed in such a mandatory and blanket manner is because those who would desire such "public" services require those who do not need them to pay for them. If they could afford them by just those who used them, property taxes would be assessed based on the aspect of use and not through such broad means.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:15 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Correct, it is for such and that is why I don't get upset about it. If a person choses not to drive their car off their property, they are not required to register it (ie pay).

What of those who do not use those services? My old home town was constantly providing "services" that I did not use any of. They continued to raise property taxes to fund those services I did not use. So, technically, there is no such thing as owning a home. It isn't yours, it is the city, county or state. Now there certainly are some states and locales within them that do not have property tax. For instance, in DFW Texas, there is a city called Westlake which has no property tax.

It really is plain and simple. The reason property taxes are assessed in such a mandatory and blanket manner is because those who would desire such "public" services require those who do not need them to pay for them. If they could afford them by just those who used them, property taxes would be assessed based on the aspect of use and not through such broad means.
That's kinda silly. Someone paid those taxes when YOU DID (i mean "you" generically...not you personally) use those services at some point and time or someone else used them on your behalf (like your parents, etc)

It's an ongoing debate in Arizona because we have so many retirees that don't want to pay school taxes, and they're nasty about it.

But when asked about the retirees that had to pay taxes when they were in school, they change the subject.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
If you want to use the publically maintained roads, then you gotta pay the government registration.
Fair enough, but as I said... you have a choice to not pay them by the actions you take (ie not driving on public property).

Quote:
What else is there?
Monitor services, tax based on use. Can be done in many ways. For instance, you sign your kid up for public school, well... you will be taxed while your kid is attending. Public pool? Sign up and pay the tax through state/city form with all the other taxes you accrue from the public services you use.

Quote:
And I know at least in my state you have to go a really long time not paying taxes before it becomes an issue. Sell the dang house before it gets taken from you!
You mean.. sell the house, pay the taxes you owe and then get whats left over? How about this. We have a sovereign right to land. Land can not be ours if we must pay to keep it. It defies the entire purpose of ownership.

Quote:
Usually, the tax liens are sold to private investors and for... I think 18 months... the owner has a right to redemption from the lien holder, at backtaxes owed plus interest.
So you mean the local government has a racket where it charges, sells the rights, then the "so called owner" can pay to get it back. Sounds like a mob racket to me.

Quote:
Ownership is not an illusion, however. You OWN your home. You OWN your car. However, you have a lien on the car that you voluntarily put there by working with the bank... your object is merely COLLATERAL in case you default.
Look, it is simple. When you pay your car off. You own it. Now certainly you can owe in other areas and there may be the aspect of that asset of yours being used as a form of payment. In the terms of a home, the "tax" only exists because you have a home. No home, no tax. So, you do not own the home. The city does and just like the bank owns your car loan (ie the car until you pay it off), if you do not "pay" them, they take it away. Home ownership is an illusion in areas where property tax exists. It is not your home, it is the city/states and the simple fact of not paying your property taxes will prove such evident.

Wake up. You are a servant of your governments, not the other way around. You are not free.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's kinda silly. Someone paid those taxes when YOU DID (i mean "you" generically...not you personally) use those services at some point and time or someone else used them on your behalf (like your parents, etc)

It's an ongoing debate in Arizona because we have so many retirees that don't want to pay school taxes, and they're nasty about it.

But when asked about the retirees that had to pay taxes when they were in school, they change the subject.
That is why these services need to be clearly identified for choice. That way, the argument of "well, you used this or that" can't be used to justify it. Give a choice and watch how many choose to use AND pay for them as opposed to how many that don't.

Let me put it this way. For the amount of money people often pay in property taxes, they could put their kids through private schools. As for the other services that are less mandatory in nature (library, pool, etc...) I never used them.

Like I said, these tax schemes are subsidization, nothing more. You need a lot more people to pay for them then those who use them. It is a hand out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies