Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 12:53 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Laws get broken every day. The sale he made to Lanzas mother had all the Is dotted. So, other violations, that did not contribute to the shooting, mean, what? They didn't shut him down for selling the guns Lanza used. Nobody has ever claimed that every, single, gun dealer in the nation is pure as the driven snow. This whole pouncing on this guy getting shut down is nonsensical to me.

With all the lols and Lmaos in your posts, it's building this image in my head, of a snotty school girl. Nanny Nanny Boo Boo!! The mean ol' gun dealer guy got shut down! So? Sounds like he just may have had it coming. But not because of Sandy Hook.

So how is this really relevant? Just to be clear, I'm not defending this gun dealer. I don't have enough information to go either way at this point. Figured I would just point out that these, alleged, violations, had nothing to do with Adam Lanza.
You missed the multiple threads where the Tin Foil Hat Brigade swore it was a huge government conspiracy because of Newtown. I'm just following up to ease their minds.

And of course it doesn't mean I think every gun dealer is "driven snow." On the other hand, it does make one wonder how many violations go on at your average gun dealer if it took hundreds to pull this guy's license. And we're supposed to believe that we're all safe and secure in America because there are plenty of regulations already that work just fine -- hell, we're supposed to agree with the NRA that we should remove the regulations we already have! Gun people are so responsible! Move along, nothing to see here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 01:32 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
You missed the multiple threads where the Tin Foil Hat Brigade swore it was a huge government conspiracy because of Newtown. I'm just following up to ease their minds.

And of course it doesn't mean I think every gun dealer is "driven snow." On the other hand, it does make one wonder how many violations go on at your average gun dealer if it took hundreds to pull this guy's license. And we're supposed to believe that we're all safe and secure in America because there are plenty of regulations already that work just fine -- hell, we're supposed to agree with the NRA that we should remove the regulations we already have! Gun people are so responsible! Move along, nothing to see here!
The current background check system works very well. Takes 20 minutes, adds 25 bucks to the purchase, and retains privacy, unless the buyer doesnt pass. As to these "hundreds" of violations, BATF is supposed to audit gun stores at least annually. Sounds like this guy was let slide. And THAT begs the question, why aren't the Feds doing their job? How many other places just get pencil whipped on required audits? Seems there is a bit of a proper enforcement, of existing laws, issue.

Lack of enforcement is a big problem. I have witnessed several guys turned down, attempting to buy a gun, because of felony records. The authorities were notified, but did not act. So, if the agencies overseeing the firearms trade, cannot or will not, enforce current law, consistently, how is anyone expecting them to take on more?

Anti firearms groups and politicians, are hammering on the background checks, but what they REALLY want is the national registry, the proposed new system creates. Personally, I feel it's nobodies business, but my own, what firearms I have. They were all purchased legally, and used for legal purposes.

In a nutshell, if current laws were enforced, in their intended role, we would not be having this discussion.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:28 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,350,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
More details:

Documents detail why gun shop lost license - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Yep, that's what I call responsibility in action.
So then they shut him down. Ok then.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:23 PM

57,312 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
I'll reply despite your pathetic attempt to limit the discussion by insulting people who you disagree with. The article you posted certainly leaves room for alternative ideas:
You started a similar post on the same dealer a while back, questioning why the gun shop was shut down posting not one fact other than to blame Obama, you want to have an intelligent conversation then do so without all the theatrics.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:26 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
So then they shut him down. Ok then.
Nothing to see here! Move along!

Last edited by jmqueen; 04-11-2013 at 05:46 PM..

Old 04-11-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
The current background check system works very well. Takes 20 minutes, adds 25 bucks to the purchase, and retains privacy, unless the buyer doesnt pass. As to these "hundreds" of violations, BATF is supposed to audit gun stores at least annually. Sounds like this guy was let slide. And THAT begs the question, why aren't the Feds doing their job? How many other places just get pencil whipped on required audits? Seems there is a bit of a proper enforcement, of existing laws, issue.

Lack of enforcement is a big problem. I have witnessed several guys turned down, attempting to buy a gun, because of felony records. The authorities were notified, but did not act. So, if the agencies overseeing the firearms trade, cannot or will not, enforce current law, consistently, how is anyone expecting them to take on more?

Anti firearms groups and politicians, are hammering on the background checks, but what they REALLY want is the national registry, the proposed new system creates. Personally, I feel it's nobodies business, but my own, what firearms I have. They were all purchased legally, and used for legal purposes.

In a nutshell, if current laws were enforced, in their intended role, we would not be having this discussion.
ATF is prevented from auditing a gun store more than once a year, doesn't really matter in most cases it can take up to 5 years with their staffing. Around 80,000 to 90,000 are turned down every year through the feds, so the law is working, I don't know where you get the staff to prosecute that many people for falsifying a document and it really is not that straight forward, I don't think it's a question of will not but rather cannot.

No one is proposing a nation registry.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:57 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
ATF is prevented from auditing a gun store more than once a year, doesn't really matter in most cases it can take up to 5 years with their staffing. Around 80,000 to 90,000 are turned down every year through the feds, so the law is working, I don't know where you get the staff to prosecute that many people for falsifying a document and it really is not that straight forward, I don't think it's a question of will not but rather cannot.

No one is proposing a nation registry.
Its not at the federal level, that felons trying to buy firearms, falls under. It's the state and local LE. Around here, there is plenty of staffing to arrest these guys, and send them back up, for their next strike. Brady cbecks are handled by the state. However, out of several incidents at the local gun shop, I observed, local LE did no arrests, and, a couple of these clowns had BAD sheets. At least they were kept from buying a gun, but, it seems to take the teeth out of the whole felons/ firearms thing.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:00 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,370,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
What's the point of this thread?

Apparently the guy violated the terms he agreed to when he opened for business, therefore he was shut down. That's kinda what should happen.

There was a store near me that lost it's liquor license for selling to underage folks. No reason to begin a thread about it.
Doesn't matter the details of the store's shut down. The media and OP has linked the name of the kid killer to the gun store.....

And that folks is where the traction is! Where the most bang is for the buck - so to speak.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Its not at the federal level, that felons trying to buy firearms, falls under. It's the state and local LE. Around here, there is plenty of staffing to arrest these guys, and send them back up, for their next strike. Brady cbecks are handled by the state. However, out of several incidents at the local gun shop, I observed, local LE did no arrests, and, a couple of these clowns had BAD sheets. At least they were kept from buying a gun, but, it seems to take the teeth out of the whole felons/ firearms thing.
I understand some states handle their own background checks but the ATF is restricted from sharing information with local LE and some just do not want to take responsibility. Local LE's are the best to handle many of these local issues, they have the staffing and a better understanding of their community.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:38 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
If true they absolutely should be shut down. I think the bigger story though is that someone in the government might actually be doing their job here.

That's pretty amazing and certainly hard to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies