Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 07:15 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,963,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
The last time there was a major vote on gun control, it brought about the assault weapons ban. The vote was heavily democratic in favor of it and oppossed by republicans. The bill passed, the weapons ban was implemented and the next election, democrats found themselves out of a job. Politicians are funny creatures.... They remember recent history and vote for self preservation first and foremost.
Although Democrats may have last their jobs, the ban remained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 07:19 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,954,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Although Democrats may have last their jobs, the ban remained.
It remained only until it was sunsetted... Fortunately the bill had a time limit on it. The point is, democratic law makers remember what happened last time they tried this... It won't pass....

Old 04-14-2013, 07:19 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,366,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
The Anti-Gun Crowd Has Lost..... But You Wouldn't Know It

So why are so many gun nuts paranoid that the liberals will take away their guns
That would be because right now liberals are trying to take away people's guns.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:23 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,095,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
All the people who claim the government is coming to take their guns.
You mean like in NY state? It's not paranoia if it's true now is it?

Old 04-14-2013, 06:37 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,927,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

Yes they wanted a debate on the floor, they wanted to put their best foot forward with the likes of Cruz making statements on the floor relative to gun control, going to be a great ad campaign for the next election.
I agree. It's my opinion that the true poll results of how Americans feel about gun control will be in the 2014 general elections. I have a feeling Dems are going to take a shilaking much the way they did in 94'

Quote:
Those things you mentioned at least deserve discussion and a vote,
I don't think they deserve discussion or vote simply because they make zero sense, particularly the Assault Weapons Ban. It doesn't ban certain firearms based on a higher degree of lethality or functionality, rather it bans them because they look scary, literaly. It would be no different then banning sports cars over their more generic looking counterparts, it's really that stupid. If you aren't familiar with guns, I understand how you could be more easily confused or misled, but those of us who know, see the lies and deception for what it is, and thats why we make such a big stink about it.

Based on the above, the AWB proposal is a hoax that makes no sense, and therefore doesn't rise to the merit of being worthy of even a discussion.

Quote:
what's the harm in knowing the senators opinion.
I guess that depends on which side you'll be rooting for in the next election cycle.....

Just remember, thus far, Dems have been the death of the Assault Weapons Ban, not Repubs.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 04-14-2013 at 06:56 PM..

Old 04-14-2013, 07:18 PM

57,405 posts, read 26,398,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I agree. It's my opinion that the true poll results of how Americans feel about gun control will be in the 2014 general elections. I have a feeling Dems are going to take a shilaking much the way they did in 94'

I don't think they deserve discussion or vote simply because they make zero sense, particularly the Assault Weapons Ban. It doesn't ban certain firearms based on a higher degree of lethality or functionality, rather it bans them because they look scary, literaly. It would be no different then banning sports cars over their more generic looking counterparts, it's really that stupid. If you aren't familiar with guns, I understand how you could be more easily confused or misled, but those of us who know, see the lies and deception for what it is, and thats why we make such a big stink about it.

Based on the above, the AWB proposal is a hoax that makes no sense, and therefore doesn't rise to the merit of being worthy of even a discussion.

I guess that depends on which side you'll be rooting for in the next election cycle.....

Just remember, thus far, Dems have been the death of the Assault Weapons Ban, not Repubs.
Yes there are also democratic NRA members but the AWB sunset was in 2004 under a republican president and congress, there never has been a real ban on semi-automatic weapons. Two A+ rated NRA senators negotiating gun control what do you expect, better than nothing but don't expect meaningful legislation

Old 04-14-2013, 07:38 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,927,720 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes there are also democratic NRA members
Oh I don't think the Dems have killed the AWB because they are NRA members or are actually against the ban, rather, they are afraid of what will happen to their jobs if they vote in favor of it, and their fears are more than likely justified. It's a strategic move by the Dems wich actually makes sense. They know they'll have a hard time passing it in the senate, and know it's doomed in the House, so rather than give repubs and the NRA ammunition in the ad cycle of 2014, they'd just rather not vote at all, especialy knowing it will be in vain. I wish they would vote on it because that would put republicans in a better position in 2014.

Quote:
but the AWB sunset was in 2004 under a republican president and congress, there never has been a real ban on semi-automatic weapons.
You see, this is where you are confused along with many others. Even if the Assault Weapons Ban were adopted, it's not, I repeat, NOT a ban on semi-automatic weapons. Rather, it's merely a ban on weapons, not necessarily semi-automatic in nature, that LOOK like military weapons. . If the AWB were to pass, there would still be many semi-automatic rifles that would remain legal.

If it were a ban on all semi-auto weapons I would have a lot more respect for those pushing it because at least it would make sense, of course I would still oppose it due to it unconstitutionality.

Quote:
Two A+ rated NRA senators negotiating gun control what do you expect, better than nothing but don't expect meaningful legislation
The legislation being discussed IS meaningful legislation because it is the only thing being proposed that might actually make any kind of difference.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 04-14-2013 at 07:46 PM..

Old 04-14-2013, 08:52 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,095,082 times
[quote=WhipperSnapper 88;29124965]
Quote:

Oh I don't think the Dems have killed the AWB because they are NRA members or are actually against the ban, rather, they are afraid of what will happen to their jobs if they vote in favor of it, and their fears are more than likely justified. It's a strategic move by the Dems wich actually makes sense. They know they'll have a hard time passing it in the senate, and know it's doomed in the House, so rather than give repubs and the NRA ammunition in the ad cycle of 2014, they'd just rather not vote at all, especialy knowing it will be in vain. I wish they would vote on it because that would put republicans in a better position in 2014.

You see, this is where you are confused along with many others. Even if the Assault Weapons Ban were adopted, it's not, I repeat, NOT a ban on semi-automatic weapons. Rather, it's merely a ban on weapons, not necessarily semi-automatic in nature, that LOOK like military weapons. . If the AWB were to pass, there would still be many semi-automatic rifles that would remain legal.

If it were a ban on all semi-auto weapons I would have a lot more respect for those pushing it because at least it would make sense, of course I would still oppose it due to it unconstitutionality.

The legislation being discussed IS meaningful legislation because it is the only thing being proposed that might actually make any kind of difference.
Well I for one will be shocked if any meaningful legislation is passed. In Colorado some/many of the Police depts are refusing to enforce the new laws. Hard to do things if the people in charge of enforcement refuse to do so.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:38 PM

18,163 posts, read 15,687,092 times
[quote=jimj;29125855]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

Well I for one will be shocked if any meaningful legislation is passed. In Colorado some/many of the Police depts are refusing to enforce the new laws. Hard to do things if the people in charge of enforcement refuse to do so.
Indeed. The cops won't just fall into line? Whoda thunk! It would seem these LE officers don't find this "meaningful" legislation with high regard. Maybe it's ....not so meaningful? How can tbis be? These officers are not clamouring to get those evil rifles and magazines "off the street" so they are not so seriously outgunned? Why..this is just mind blowing! Don't yhey understand that this would benefit them? It's all about public safety, and the children!

But hey, what would they know. They are just out there, every day. They just don't understand whats good for them.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:56 PM

315 posts, read 257,185 times
I agree with the OP. I watched Rachel Maddow drone on about how this is such a victory. Well she kept yammering about how CT passing a gun ban and now MD. LMAO just like she went off on the most liberal part of the most liberal city in a liberal state like Ill voted in an anti gun to Congress. WTF are you kidding me? How would you think that anything else would happen? BGCs are all but dead and barely clinging to life support and they are partying like its 1999. I hope on the BGC they get their ass handed to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies