Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 11:11 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,968,381 times

Advertisements

People think it's okay for schools to give students birth control, or even help them go get an abortion, without their parents' knowledge, and everyone's now upset about Bibles being put in their hands without their parents' knowledge. I'm sure the ACLU will prevail, but isn't there something wrong with this picture?

Old 04-14-2013, 11:13 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Excellent! You want your kids indoctrinated into religion? Teach it at home.
Kind of like when folks have a hissy fit when sex education in schools is brought up.
The left don't want bibles in the school.
The right don't want sex education in the school.

Ban the bibles and sue the school but suck it up when it comes to the sex education classes ?

What if they put the box of bibles next to the box of condoms in the nurse's office ?
Is that more "fair" ?

Old 04-14-2013, 11:16 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I don't push religion my friend. But if people are that upset and fearful of religion then by all means ban it from the schools. But equally ban if from the classrooms ok ?

And I also say let's ban politics from schools as well because there is too much indirect indoctrination going on in K-12.

The 3 G's...God, Guns, Government

Remove them from the schools and teach Reading, Math, Science, etc.
Maybe the US can make a comeback in global standings if we actually go back to academics in the school instead of "social issues".
We are only protecting our first amendment rights.

BTW, the Gideons have a history of imposing their views on people who are literally a "captive audience."

Quote:
Areas of Distribution
Bibles and New Testaments are personally distributed by members of The Gideons International to these groups:

Students in the 5th grade and above
Prisoners and police, fire, medical and military personnel
A Unique Focus

Old 04-14-2013, 11:17 AM

991 posts, read 1,110,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
People think it's okay for schools to give students birth control, or even help them go get an abortion, without their parents' knowledge, and everyone's now upset about Bibles being put in their hands without their parents' knowledge. I'm sure the ACLU will prevail, but isn't there something wrong with this picture?
There are many (including myself) who disagree with the teachings of Christianity and the Bible in many, many respects. If I had children, I don't think that it is appropriate for them to read until they are mature enough to understand it and not have it "force fed" by someone who believes it is inerrant and not subject to criticism and skepticism. I also wouldn't want my child to get an abortion without my knowledge and counsel, but I would certainly want my child to understand what birth control is because it is important to understand how to protect oneself when they make mistakes. I don't see this as a conflicting view of the world.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:18 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:

Ban the bibles and sue the school but suck it up when it comes to the sex education classes ?

What if they put the box of bibles next to the box of condoms in the nurse's office ?
Is that more "fair" ?
Is the religion of the bible in the same camp as condoms?

There are some x rated stories in the bible, I'll give you that.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:18 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:

Is that more "fair" ?
Sex education deals with facts. Anatomy. Biology. Physiology.
The bible deals with fairy tales.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:26 AM

17,806 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Is the religion of the bible in the same camp as condoms?

There are some x rated stories in the bible, I'll give you that.
Any other book that had these type of stories in it would cause outrage among the fundamental religious right.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:35 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,946,204 times
Quote:
I don't push religion my friend. But if people are that upset and fearful of religion then by all means ban it from the schools. But equally ban if from the classrooms ok ?

And I also say let's ban politics from schools as well because there is too much indirect indoctrination going on in K-12.

The 3 G's...God, Guns, Government

Remove them from the schools and teach Reading, Math, Science, etc.
Maybe the US can make a comeback in global standings if we actually go back to academics in the school instead of "social issues".
This is not about banning anything. If a student wishes to pray a prayer, that isn't banned. Neither should be freedom of speech.

The book is not religion. It would be no different if a group of Nuns left of some rosaries and Holy water, or an Emom dropped off some prayer beads and mats. A kid can walk around all day with a bible woith his other books.

If a student comes to school with a cusifix on a chain, or wearing a head covering,or Bible... I see no need to ban that. Let students pray as the feel the need to. Let the school allow and not lead or endorse.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:36 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,431,347 times
I don't even have to read it to know that the ACLU isn't taking Bibles away from children

Old 04-14-2013, 11:38 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,968,381 times
Very interesting. I am sure the ACLU will prevail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
There are many (including myself) who disagree with the teachings of Christianity and the Bible in many, many respects. If I had children, I don't think that it is appropriate for them to read until they are mature enough to understand it and not have it "force fed" by someone who believes it is inerrant and not subject to criticism and skepticism. I also wouldn't want my child to get an abortion without my knowledge and counsel, but I would certainly want my child to understand what birth control is because it is important to understand how to protect oneself when they make mistakes. I don't see this as a conflicting view of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies