Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 12:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Hey, I will happily put on the old yarmulke and give a lesson about Judiasm that's much more specific and less general.

Still, I don't think those parents will like it.
I've already stated to ban religion and politics from schools and let them teach academics.
Take the social issues out of the schools and the classrooms.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:43 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Yes they do have a case. Schools are run by the government. But using your logic the schools could give out Korans and as long as the company publishing those Korans was a private company that would be ok
Schools are not giving them out, the Gideons are.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:54 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
What if you are Jewish like me? We don't evangelize, but something tells me if I stood outside a school and even suggested people reject Jesus, parents would have a problem with it.

Perhaps I should go to this school in KY and test my theory out.
Oooh, how about Scientology? Or better yet, hand out Heaven's Gate pamphlets encouraging kids to castrate themselves to hitch a ride on the Hale-Bopp comet to the mother ship. That would go over really well, I imagine.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:59 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Oooh, how about Scientology? Or better yet, hand out Heaven's Gate pamphlets encouraging kids to castrate themselves to hitch a ride on the Hale-Bopp comet to the mother ship. That would go over really well, I imagine.
You're so much more creative than I am.
I would have gone with satanists.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:16 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,947,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Schools are not giving them out, the Gideons are.
If I went into a school and started passing out Chili's coupons for 20% off boneless chicken wings and beer. If some of the parents complained, would the school be absolved if they claim they didnt pass out the coupons?

Old 04-14-2013, 02:20 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
When with the God-hating ACLU learn that the US is a Christian nation and stop attacking our founding principles?

ACLU Seeks to Ban Bible Distribution in Kentucky Schools

"The American Civil Liberties Union of Kentucky sent a letter Thursday to 174 public school superintendents citing the possibility of a lawsuit in the 2013-2014 academic school year if they continue to allow The Gideons International to distribute Bibles, the New Testament and religious literature to students on public school campuses."

The ACLU claims that "this practice violates both federal and state constitutional guarantees barring governmental endorsement of religion, and it also impermissibly encroaches upon parents' prerogative to direct the religious upbringing of their children. By allowing an outside group to distribute sectarian materials directly to public elementary school students during school hours, school officials create the impression that the school endorses those religious views which subjects the students to 'subtle coercive pressure' to accept the proffered religious materials.'"
I don't side with ACLU on this issue but don't be fooled. The United States of America is not a Christian nation. Many of the founders, including Thomas Jefferson, found Christianity to be nothing more than brainwashing by the church.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:23 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,150,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I've seen them on college campuses. They do not force it on you and don't even approach you.
You CHOOSE to stop at their table and you CHOOSE to take a Bible if you so want.

Why do so many have this fear of religion ?

If you brought you kid up to not believe in God and to stay away from Bibles then what do you fear ?
Exactly! I don't see how passing out the bible or any other book is violating anybodies rights. You don't want one don't except it.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:26 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Exactly! I don't see how passing out the bible or any other book is violating anybodies rights. You don't want one don't except it.
So you're okay with the government letting groups distribute literature to your school-aged children without telling you about it?

Old 04-14-2013, 02:26 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Don't except it from what? Your life? I would imagine that anyone who didn't want a bible would except it from their life. Why would you force them to follow the bible if they don't want it?

Old 04-14-2013, 02:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
So you're okay with the government letting groups distribute literature to your school-aged children without telling you about it?
We let teachers bring their partisan opinions into the classroom and that seems to be ok.
We're going to let kids get the morning after pill in school without parental permission or notification and that seems to be ok as well.
Kids can get condoms in school without parental notification as well and that seems ok.

But a bible....OMG the sky is falling and the children will turn into extremists.

So politics and sex in school is ok but religion is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies