Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 10:33 AM

45,262 posts, read 26,518,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
Because it is brainwashing, and I wouldn't want my kid to be exposed to some of the creeps that do it.
No fear of brainwashing in a government school lol

Old 04-14-2013, 10:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,601,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
I love God, and I understand the ban. If bibles are allowed, then The Torah, The Qur'an, or the books of Hindu prayers should also be allowed. All or none.

I find it intersting that poeple dont mind the "school/state" to lead religious instruction for children, yet flip out when one liberal comentator proclaims " it takes a village to raise a child". The school is the village. Why is it OK for the state to undertake the moral instruction of your child? Does the school have knowledge of your family's religious beliefs...Should it have that kind of knowledge???
Well I know the "village" I work in and they aren't doing such a good job.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:34 AM

991 posts, read 1,112,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
No fear of brainwashing in a government school lol
At least it is not passing off of mythology as scientific fact.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:35 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,865,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Why ? Teachers don't and they have kids writing essays on why "Jews are Evil".
If you allow one then you have to allow the other. Wouldn't you agree ?
There should be no expression of religion, or prejudices thereof, in school.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
There should be no expression of religion, or prejudices thereof, in school.
But the fact of the matter is that there is.
This did happen and it took media outrage to get it fixed.

The teacher is now "on leave" and the entire district is going through "sensitivity training" by the Anti-Defamation league.

Bigotry and racism is happening in the schools by teachers in K-12.
No one finds out until it hits the press and then the schools REACT.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:42 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,853,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
When with the God-hating ACLU learn that the US is a Christian nation and stop attacking our founding principles?

ACLU Seeks to Ban Bible Distribution in Kentucky Schools

"The American Civil Liberties Union of Kentucky sent a letter Thursday to 174 public school superintendents citing the possibility of a lawsuit in the 2013-2014 academic school year if they continue to allow The Gideons International to distribute Bibles, the New Testament and religious literature to students on public school campuses."

The ACLU claims that "this practice violates both federal and state constitutional guarantees barring governmental endorsement of religion, and it also impermissibly encroaches upon parents' prerogative to direct the religious upbringing of their children. By allowing an outside group to distribute sectarian materials directly to public elementary school students during school hours, school officials create the impression that the school endorses those religious views which subjects the students to 'subtle coercive pressure' to accept the proffered religious materials.'"
How exactly does the title of this thread reflect reality? The quoted section seems to indicate that it doesn't.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But the fact of the matter is that there is.
This did happen and it took media outrage to get it fixed.

The teacher is now "on leave" and the entire district is going through "sensitivity training" by the Anti-Defamation league.

Bigotry and racism is happening in the schools by teachers in K-12.
No one finds out until it hits the press and then the schools REACT.
Glad it was exposed and the teacher was put "on leave." However, this incident should not be a catalyst for allowing more of the same, i.e...........allowing religious zealots to proselytize to our minor children at schools and without parental consent.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:44 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,599,114 times
I don't have problem with religion IF they stick to their religious principles; otherwise leave that hypocritical crap out please.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
How exactly does the title of this thread reflect reality? The quoted section seems to indicate that it doesn't.
My question as well. This is what I read in the OP's link:

Quote:
Michael Aldridge, the executive director of the ACLU Kentucky, said in a statement: "Directing the religious upbringing of one's own children is one of the most fundamental rights a parent can have. When government officials, including school officials, take it upon themselves to usurp that parental prerogative, they exceed their governmental authority and undermine religious liberty.
Read more at ACLU Seeks to Ban Bible Distribution in Kentucky Schools

Old 04-14-2013, 10:49 AM

The article said they were going around to classes and handing them out.
Neither the school nor group verified that.

If that were the case then I disagree that they should be allowed to do that.
In the past there was outrage because a box of bibles were in the front office, left for any student to take.
That I think is OK.

It depends on whether it was forced on them (handed to them in class) or left there for their choice to take (in a box for them to take).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies