Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 01:27 PM

977 posts, read 763,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Actually no. The Queen retains very real powers even if the convention is that she doesn't use them. The Queen is the ultimate guarantor of Britain's 'constitution'. Furthermore, by being 'above' politics, the Queen actually represents all British people and not just those who support one party or the other. That gives her tremendous moral authority in the nation. It would be a very brave prime minister that tried to take on the monarchy and one who would almost certainly lose.

But I do appreciate your comments. It is always nice to discuss with people that know absolutely nothing about the subject.
LOL! You acknowledge that she retains powers she does not use and get a superior attitude when I call her a figurehead. It's always nice to watch posters who claim superior knowledge to me agree with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 01:28 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,257,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Haha, dude I could care less about a funeral overseas & whether someone from our government attended it or not. You however have got your knickers in an odd twist over it. It's actually pretty funny.

Why would I put my fingers in my ear? I can't actually hear you screeching, I can just imagine it though. Poor thing.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:30 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,257,854 times
Quote:
It is always nice to discuss with people that know absolutely nothing about the subject.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:31 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butkus51 View Post
LOL! You acknowledge that she retains powers she does not use and get a superior attitude when I call her a figurehead. It's always nice to watch posters who claim superior knowledge to me agree with me.
Based on your posts, it isn't hard to feel superior to you

Old 04-17-2013, 01:32 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,198,631 times
Quote:
The Queen is a figurehead. Deal with it.
Sounds like a few recent past and present POTUS.

Our president doesn't even really know what's in his own HC bill.

This is not hatred folks, it's truth to where some people in the past have asked him directly about his HC bill and he didn't have the answers.

Same with Bush in other matters when he was president.

So because it's my opinion that I think Obama should have gone, to some at least that makes me a hater or being full of hatred - to those who think that I feel sorry for you.

I want our president to succeed for ALL the American people's benefit as we are one people - I hope.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:32 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
So you have attended every funeral of every political figure you have ever liked that has passed on. Grow up buddy and tell me why a shooting victim is more worthy of the Obama's attention than Thatcher.
First of all, how do you determine "more worthy"?

An Obama representative attended a funeral of a shooting victim. The attendance was meant to raise that shooting victim to a higher status, to symbolize the many losses in this country of shooting victims.

A carefully selected delegation was sent to attend the funeral of a woman who made history by becoming the first woman Prime Minister of Great Britain. The people sent were people who knew her, who were her contemporaries, and who could rightfully and meaningfully pay their respects.

The Prime Minister is the head of a political party, not the head of state. The fact that the political party can remove a Prime Minister makes that fact glaringly obvious. It is akin to the way that the political party can change the Senate Majority Leader, or the Speaker of the House. They don't serve "the people", they serve "the party". At the party's discretion.

While the Queen's role in government may be figurative, she is still the head of state in Great Britain.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post

But then again I'm not the one throwing a little baby hissy fit either.

LOL
Of course you are. You and the rest of your gaggle of leftoids have become hissy over my POV. Between you playing pile-on and others ignorantly claiming that the Queen runs the show while another poster has lost his addled mind by telling me to be quiet, it's quite a cast of disturbed characters. You guys beat the hell out of the Comedy Channel right now.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
First of all, how do you determine "more worthy"?

An Obama representative attended a funeral of a shooting victim. The attendance was meant to raise that shooting victim to a higher status, to symbolize the many losses in this country of shooting victims.

A carefully selected delegation was sent to attend the funeral of a woman who made history by becoming the first woman Prime Minister of Great Britain. The people sent were people who knew her, who were her contemporaries, and who could rightfully and meaningfully pay their respects.

The Prime Minister is the head of a political party, not the head of state. The fact that the political party can remove a Prime Minister makes that fact glaringly obvious. It is akin to the way that the political party can change the Senate Majority Leader, or the Speaker of the House. They don't serve "the people", they serve "the party". At the party's discretion.

While the Queen's role in government may be figurative, she is still the head of state in Great Britain.
Moooshelle attended the funeral because it was good politics for the gun grabbers. That was 'worthy' of a visit from the First Lady but Thatcher's funeral is not.

"Carefully selected delegation"? By who? Reagan's ghost? Schultz and Baker will be representing Reagan. Not Obama. And you and I and everyone else knows it no matter what you say.

The PM makes the decisions and you know that also. Now if you care to show me otherwise fine.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
Sounds like a few recent past and present POTUS.

Our president doesn't even really know what's in his own HC bill.

This is not hatred folks, it's truth to where some people in the past have asked him directly about his HC bill and he didn't have the answers.

Same with Bush in other matters when he was president.

So because it's my opinion that I think Obama should have gone, to some at least that makes me a hater or being full of hatred - to those who think that I feel sorry for you.

I want our president to succeed for ALL the American people's benefit as we are one people - I hope.
Sadly for the nation, Obama is an ideologue who first and foremost wants what he wants.........then maybe what the people want or need.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Based on your posts, it isn't hard to feel superior to you
I always get a kick out of the posters who insult you and then put a smile on the end of it. Not unlike the POTUS who is as equally duplicitous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies