Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 10:43 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I literally never thought that I would read a post by a modern-day person who believes that 1) the Queen of Great Britain is 'not just a figure head'
The monarch plays a constitutional role, usually expressed as "the right to be consulted, the right to encourage, the right to warn". The exact nature of the present Sovereign's influence is hard to determine, because her role by necessity is entirely confidential.

Those of her prime ministers who have remarked on their relationship with her are almost unanimous in saying they found the absolute confidence of impartiality and secrecy in their conversations very useful, and because she has dutifully read the state papers for more than half a century, many of them have expressed grateful surprise at how well-informed she can be, sometimes bringing matters to her PM's attention which no one else had thought to mention. In the operation of the British state, her role seems to be that of a trusted aunt (or, these days, maybe grandmother): no matter what the situation, the PM can confide in her, knowing she'll have some useful advice.

Quote:
the Queen was a 'friend' of Ms. Thatcher (even the former Prime Minister would have been surprised by that statement).
Indeed. Of all her PMs, her relationship with Thatcher was probably the furthest from being friendly. "Correct" would probably strike nearer the mark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 11:01 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
If Obama wants to be seen as an international figure he had better get with the program...
Ah, U.S. Presidents don't need to establish their international bona fides, it comes with the job.

Quote:
If the Queen attends- He should attend.
She attend Maggie's Mass just like she attended Dianah's, not because she wanted to but because she had to. Frankly given the choice I think she would have preferred Dianah's, that or oral surgery.

Quote:
The Queen controls one of the oldest and most powerful corporations on earth
Well that's sad because she is only the 245th richest person in the United Kingdom.. poor girl had to sell the her helicopter and turn over income from her vast holdings to the government in exchange for an annual allowance.

Quote:
She is not just a figure head
That is factually correct, under the Constitutional Monarchy She is the Head of State.

Quote:
besides the Queen was a friend of Thatcher.
That is more than a bit overstated. It would appear that tolerated would be more appropriate.

Quote:
Obama goes for the superficial social status
Oh, goodness, what is more superficial than the pomp and circumstance of the British Monarchy and or state funerals?

Quote:
that entails going to a Hollywood party. He had better learn to deal with the real movers and shakers not just film personalities who really have no power.
Tell me again how much money did Margret Thatcher donate to the political campaigns of either party, not that she could, legally, but I think you get the point... or at least I hope that you do.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:40 PM

26,586 posts, read 14,454,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butkus51 View Post
Riiiiiight. 'Indie' means you post as a lefty and claim 'indie' when called out as the lefty you are.
i love that you consider supporting the choice of schultz and baker to represent the US to be leftist.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:41 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
So you're crying nobody is going, if BO went people would complain he's wasting tax payers money.

Besides, why would you want to go to a witches funeral ?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
You sir, are exactly correct.

Conservatives talk with both sides of their mouth...don't ever trust 'em.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:45 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Could have been so much worse. Imagine Mitt Romney trying to mollify the Brits after his previous foray into foreign relations.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:34 AM

977 posts, read 763,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
i am.

most likely the same thing that happened when ghw bush declined the offer to go as a US representative, another relevant representative was asked.

so, the WH/state department selected, asked, organized and paid for the representatives as the official US delegation to attend thatcher's funeral but, because baker and schultz are not part of the current administration and/or military, you feel they were not "sent" and that has your panties in a bunch, correct?
No need to be a snide petulant child wrecked. My 'panties' are fine. Thank you.

You have nothing to refute my point as to what 'sent' means outside of Obama picking up the tab. I've made my point. Schultz and Baker are as representative of Obama as I am and you know it.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:36 AM

977 posts, read 763,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
i love that you consider supporting the choice of schultz and baker to represent the US to be leftist.
I love how 'indies' put words in people's mouths when they get their 'panties in a bunch'.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:49 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Agreed. Baker and Schultz will be there as well. If President Obama, the FLOTUS or VP attended, the RW would be screaming that they're needed here. Same tiresome automatic criticism we've grown used to when it comes to President Obama. Get over it.
I'm glad that I read further because I was going to say the same thing.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
All living former US presidents were invited to attend...none of them are. Where is the outrage that Bush I, Bush II and Clinton are not attending.
Because it is a bonified b*tch session, any excuse to attack the president

Old 04-20-2013, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
What crimes did he commit exactly that he could be arrested for? I know this is a fun LWNJ talking point and a favorite but feel free to elaborate if you possibly can.
Illegal Torture and war profiteering comes to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies