Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you willing to give up some constitutional rights to feel safe?
I would rather not have any security checks at airports and take my chances on the flight. 64 68.09%
I would be willing to submit to a search without probable cause so that my fight will be safer. 30 31.91%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 10:33 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I wont object to becoming a hostage and used as collateral and wind up dead. But I will object reducing the odds of their success at carrying out whatever evil deed it is because that's whats comfortable to me.

The word is "complacent"

Before I was born, the word used to be "Yellow" "Coward" "Wuss"

Very interesting to sit back and not take a 50/50 risk, but place blind faith in an agent of the government to do it for you...
Yeah well, its 2017 not 1743. I have some other things to do like raise my kids, work my jobs, run my business, etc. instead of trying to become an expert marksman with a black belt. *shrug* That's why I'm not a doctor, lawyer or plumber. That's why I pay others who have the expertise I lack.

Call me whatever names you like. Honestly couldn't care less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 05:21 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
You all say you would take a chance — yea sure- unless it was your daughter on that plane that had an explosive device.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:31 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
As someone who is descended from slaves, I really would not sacrifice freedom for security. For Black Americans, freedom and security were not guaranteed for a long time. Jim Crow was proof of that. Slavery was proof of that. When I think about my own family history, because I have more freedom than my ancestors or even relatives up to the 1960s ever had, I want to hold onto it. In my case, giving up essential liberties would mean a loss of my security. Airport checks, for as much as I hate them, are a small part of big problems I think of. In my case, Stop and Frisk is a big problem I don't want to run into. That is basically a form of racial profiling that involves stopping people based on a hunch, not probable cause.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:08 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Funny thing - the American public DEMANDED that the airlines and the government protect them from hijackers back in the early 1970's so Nixon told the airlines he'd have to do something...and he did. The Airlines said people wouldn't put up with it (even a simple magnetometer) and customers would run away.

Guess What? They didn't and Aviation added tens of trillions to our economy.

Then, after 9/11, "the people" demanded much more.....and they got it...and they felt safer.

Now a few years go by and people who don't fly anyway change their opinion.

A small hint. Government and civilization don't work that way. You don't change major systems because a few years have gone by without a problem.

I like my TSA Pre - no belts or shoes off and everything in my one little bag. It takes well less than one minute. It took a LOT longer to make this post.

The Constitution does not speak to this and to MANY things. For example, Navigation and Roads must be built (according to the constitution). Is it unconstitutional if the road is 2 lanes? If the channel is 25 feet deep?

I think a lot of you are confused about basic rights. Think about a black lesbian muslim family being able to buy a house in any neighborhood and you will probably get closer to the mark.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:14 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Wow, wonder what resurrected this one?

Of course we should have security screenings before boarding flights at airports. It's not too much of your freedom to ask for significant benefit to collective safety. Fake tough guys who opposed it were idiots in 2013, and they're still idiots today in 2017
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies