Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 06:20 PM

5,666 posts, read 5,098,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Change is good
Not always.

And why do 'hearts and minds' need to be changed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 06:22 PM

13,607 posts, read 21,416,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Washington state was awesome until the late 70s when half of California moved there and brought their whiney ways and goats with them
I am so glad I live in the southern most, far far away from the locusts from (progressive liberal) California. They are like the aliens from the movie "Independence day" using resources and forming a area to their desire then moving on after they corrupt. I hear they are doing that in Nevada, Texas, Arizona and Utah now.

They demand high taxes to support the poor and illegals, demand government regulation and gun bans then move away to greener pastures when their area then becomes too tax burdened, too crime ridden. They all love section 8 housing as long as it is in someone elses area, but they personally don't want to see the section 8 people across the street dealing drugs and having 8 unemployed people ,living there that let the grass grow 2 meters high that is the eye sore of the neighborhood.

Oh yes, I experienced that in Miami years ago, my nice middle class neighborhood that had never had much crime , the house across the street turned section 8 because the %^&* owner got paid to allow section 8, having 8 people live there though only two were legally suppose to be there, cars coming and going to buy drugs, grass 2 meters high with ladders, trash bags and assorted trash laying around the house. They didn't have jobs but I OFTEN saw them walking back from the store with beer...

Oh the uppity liberals living in the gated community support that free housing and bringing the poor to live in a middle class area for free to make things "fair" but the hypocrites wouldn't stand for one minute to have that or them people being their neighbors.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,601,142 times
What do we call "strawman" now ?
Can we still have "snowman" ?

And the big kahoona ...

Human Just what is that word changed to ?

Old 04-23-2013, 06:31 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,389,966 times
A few years ago WA also passed a law to remove all references to 'oriental.' One problem was that practitioners of 'oriental medicine' had used that terminology for years and didn't want to change. They were given an exemption.

Also there were a couple of state reps from Seattle who wanted to go thru all state code, and change all references to "at risk youth" to "at hope youth." As far as I know they didn't get that one enacted.

Oh yeah, and one more--our previous County exec of King County (county in which Seattle lies) spent several hundred thousand dollars to change "King County" from being named after William R. King, a former US VP, to being named after MLK. They changed the county logo, stationary, etc.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:40 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,174,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I got an earful when I addressed a Christmas card to my "postman" who wasn't a man

I put "To the Postman" on a card attached to a box of chocolates for Christmas and put in the mailbox.
Got a note with "I'm not a man. Thanks for the candy" and she signed her name.
She didn't get any more Christmas presents from me.
I don't see that as you getting an earful. I see that as she was simply telling you she was a female.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:44 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,521,509 times
Several years ago my state changed the 'workMens' compensation law to 'workErs' compensation law. I fully support that change and other neutral terms, such as firefighter, police officer, mail carrier. Sure, some sound odd or awkward--- the chair or chairperson of a committe. Overall though, these changes are worthwhile.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:05 PM

13,607 posts, read 21,416,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Several years ago my state changed the 'workMens' compensation law to 'workErs' compensation law. I fully support that change and other neutral terms, such as firefighter, police officer, mail carrier. Sure, some sound odd or awkward--- the chair or chairperson of a committe. Overall though, these changes are worthwhile.
Right...

hey maybe next we can get the air force to chance the rank of airman to air person? The thing is liberals think that making people change their speech will change their inner structure, well they are wrong because when that "air person" female gets blown to bits in combat compared to a "airman" most people will feel more disturbed that it was a woman that met that fate compared to a man.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:14 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,286,403 times
LOVE the CA bashers, as if people crossing a border made this happen. As if NOT crossing a border makes someone different/better/smarter. Idiots.

It doesn't matter, it's a non issue, and it doesn't change anything in your life. And it's not like "instead of this they could have cured cancer or stopped all terrorists or ended poverty". Life doesn't work that way.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:16 PM

39,895 posts, read 26,574,953 times
It's good to hear that WA legislators don't have anything more pressing to deal with. Things like a billion dollar budget deficit, for example.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:18 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,286,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It's good to hear that WA legislators don't have anything more pressing to deal with. Things like a billion dollar budget deficit, for example.
They can fix that or do nothing ehh? What a conundrum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies