Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 01:57 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times

Advertisements

Here we go again with more hate from the GOP. A group of 12 Washington republican lawmakers have filed a bill to allow discrimination against LGBT people.

Washington Republicans file bill to legalize discrimination against LGBT people | The Raw Story

Old 04-26-2013, 02:50 PM

510 posts, read 889,234 times
From what I can see in this article it is about private businesses refusing service to LGBTs. I wouldn't refuse them, but also don't see how government should dictate to private business who they can't refuse. Plenty of businesses in Seattle refuse me even entering because I carry a licensed handgun. I figure if that is how they want to run their business, then they won't get mine. I would imagine that the LGBT friendly businesses will do better than the non-friendlies, and maybe eventually put the others out of business.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:16 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
It sounds reasonable:
Quote:
"The right to act or refuse to act in a manner motivated by a sincerely held religious belief, philosophical belief, or matter of conscience may not be burdened unless the government proves that it has a compelling governmental interest in infringing the specific act or refusal to act and has used the least restrictive means to further that interest,” the bill states.
I will never undertsand why you would want to buy flowers from someone who doesn't respect you. Take your money and reward a business that does.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:19 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Wouldnt this bill allow muslims to not sell to catholics if they choose? or tall people choosing not to sell to short people?Yes it would, but somehow the left wing kooks turn it into a gay issue.

And they wonder why there is so much attention on "gays".. Its hard not to be when everything somehow becomes about them.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:22 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforest338 View Post
From what I can see in this article it is about private businesses refusing service to LGBTs. I wouldn't refuse them, but also don't see how government should dictate to private business who they can't refuse. Plenty of businesses in Seattle refuse me even entering because I carry a licensed handgun. I figure if that is how they want to run their business, then they won't get mine. I would imagine that the LGBT friendly businesses will do better than the non-friendlies, and maybe eventually put the others out of business.
If I private business can turn away paying customers for being gay, black, a gun owner or whatever then they should be able to. If a gay owned business wanted to refuse to serve me and my wife, so be it.

The government does not have the power to tell a business owner how he or she should run their business even if those decisions will run it straight into bankruptcy.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:38 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,551 times
Gays hate normal people, and obviously discriminate against them, so no big deal.
You don't hear straight people complaining. Shut up and go your own way.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:39 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
Gays hate normal people, and obviously discriminate against them, so no big deal.
You don't hear straight people complaining. Shut up and go your own way.
Well isn't that an ignorant overgeneralization.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:49 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
"No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service." <-- Remember those signs?

Businesses should be allowed to determine what sort of customer to which they want to cater. I have seen lots of resturants and other establishments toss drunks out of their place of business or refuse to give them service.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:59 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,447,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
If I private business can turn away paying customers for being gay, black, a gun owner or whatever then they should be able to..
One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

Well, one of those things is a choice... the others, not so much.

Also, I've never heard of a business turning away a gun owner? I've heard of turning away guns, but the owner is always more than welcome to leave their gun secured in their vehicle before entering the business.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:11 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,872 times
Agreed. LGBTs and those carrying licensed guns are not considered a race. You cannot refuse business to someone based solely on their race. You can based on their behavior, and you can't force someone to accept a behavior. Suing these businesses is wrong. Take the business elsewhere. I agree with the bill, and would agree with it no matter what party put it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforest338 View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies