Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 08:32 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,686,375 times

Advertisements

This is what the employed often tells the unemployed. Does this prove the unemployed to be lazy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 08:37 PM

131 posts, read 210,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
This is what the employed often tells the unemployed. Does this prove the unemployed to be lazy?
Illegal immigrants are taking the jobs that the 'lazy' Americans don't want such as working at farms, doing landscaping work, and whatever is deemed as unpopular to most Americans and typically those jobs pay lower than minimum wage and that's why Americans don't want those jobs. It's not like those whom are illegal immigrants are taking jobs at companies such as Boeing and are building airplanes for $30 an hour, but quite the contrary.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:38 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,463,584 times
They are finding jobs? Can you provide actual evidence to these claims or is this just made up fiction?

Old 04-28-2013, 08:52 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,839,723 times
Employers are preferentially hiring illegal immigrants over US citizens so they can pay them really cheap wages.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:02 PM

62,997 posts, read 29,187,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Intellektuelle View Post
Illegal immigrants are taking the jobs that the 'lazy' Americans don't want such as working at farms, doing landscaping work, and whatever is deemed as unpopular to most Americans and typically those jobs pay lower than minimum wage and that's why Americans don't want those jobs. It's not like those whom are illegal immigrants are taking jobs at companies such as Boeing and are building airplanes for $30 an hour, but quite the contrary.
What a crock! Illegal immigrants are undercutting Americans on the jobs by working cheaper. Americans have always done landscaping and have even picked crops (of which only 3% of illegal are doing anyway). Many of those job that once paid a fair wage pay minimum wage or less now due to the influx of cheap, illegal labor. The jobs most illegals are taking are jobs that our blue-collared adult workers use to do and our youth for entry level jobs. Know what you are talking about before you demonize American workers and spout nonsense! And yes the employes are just as guilty!

Old 04-28-2013, 09:03 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,766,454 times
What can those unemployed do?
Even customer service jobs need English/Spanish bilingual speakers.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:04 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,996,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
A person that was working at a major firm that downgraded in size, doesn't plan to work in a hole in the wall restaurant as a dishwasher.

Some of the unemployed are lazy.
Some of the unemployed are milking the system.
Some of the unemployed are truly trying to find work again.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:11 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,671,010 times
Entitlement to the golden egg. It is below them to sweat.
I find this mostly with city kids.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:21 PM

131 posts, read 210,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What a crock! Illegal immigrants are undercutting Americans on the jobs by working cheaper. Americans have always done landscaping and have even picked crops (of which only 3% of illegal are doing anyway). Many of those job that once paid a fair wage pay minimum wage or less now due to the influx of cheap, illegal labor. The jobs most illegals are taking are jobs that our blue-collared adult workers use to do and our youth for entry level jobs. Know what you are talking about before you demonize American workers and spout nonsense! And yes the employes are just as guilty!
Calm down; I wasn't undermining the American worker as much as you seem to be implying that I am. What I'm simply saying is I haven't met anyone saying something such as 'I'm going to be a landscaper once I leave college' nor have I heard it in high-school, those lower-end jobs seem virtually non-existent to many Americans although they do exist. Those whom are unemployed would rather work in the service industry as opposed to doing the dirty jobs, would you agree with that? I've heard many unemployed people say 'I'm going to apply at McDonald's' or a job such as that, but I never heard 'I'm going to apply to be a farmer or this landscaping job.'

Americans are willing to do dirty jobs, if they pay well for the most part. Of course I've never worked on a Oil rig nor have I drilled for Oil in the Gulf of Mexico, but from the looks of it those are considered 'dirty jobs' but because of the median pay those jobs have, many Americans are willing to work those jobs. As you said, 'those jobs that once paid a fair wage pay minimum wage or less now' is totally true, if Farming were a job that were paying six figures many Americans would jump all over them.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:35 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times
It's various reasons. In some cases, the unemployed really are rather lazy and as long as the unemployment benefits keep getting extended, they're perfectly happy not to work and so don't mind the fact that the politicians want to give the jobs to cheap labor foreigners.

In some cases, the jobs aren't where the unemployed live. Illegals of course gladly flee their country and travel 3000 miles to where ever the jobs are. Americans don't want to give up their homes to sleep in migrant worker camps and don't want to leave their neighborhoods.

In other cases, only illegals are recruited. Americans are never offered the jobs, never learn of job openings. Recruitment even takes place down in Mexico -- recruiters of cheap labor put the word out in Spanish only and through word of mouth for thousands of construction workers.

And putting a requirement of fluent native Spanish fluency even in jobs that require no speaking will guarantee that most unemployed Americans need not apply.

Another reason is that illegals don't mind at all working for very low wages and having Medicaid pay their health costs and food stamps and WIC feed their many children, but most Americans don't prefer working and still living off welfare handouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies