Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 10:40 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,784,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Intellektuelle View Post
Calm down; I wasn't undermining the American worker as much as you seem to be implying that I am. What I'm simply saying is I haven't met anyone saying something such as 'I'm going to be a landscaper once I leave college' nor have I heard it in high-school, those lower-end jobs seem virtually non-existent to many Americans although they do exist. Those whom are unemployed would rather work in the service industry as opposed to doing the dirty jobs, would you agree with that? I've heard many unemployed people say 'I'm going to apply at McDonald's' or a job such as that, but I never heard 'I'm going to apply to be a farmer or this landscaping job.'

Americans are willing to do dirty jobs, if they pay well for the most part. Of course I've never worked on a Oil rig nor have I drilled for Oil in the Gulf of Mexico, but from the looks of it those are considered 'dirty jobs' but because of the median pay those jobs have, many Americans are willing to work those jobs. As you said, 'those jobs that once paid a fair wage pay minimum wage or less now' is totally true, if Farming were a job that were paying six figures many Americans would jump all over them.
Yes, and it wouldn't take six figures. I did farm and landscaping jobs as a middle class teenager in the '70s and '80s. So did all of my friends. The thought that these were "dirty" jobs fit only for immigrants never occured to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 11:20 PM

131 posts, read 210,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Yes, and it wouldn't take six figures. I did farm and landscaping jobs as a middle class teenager in the '70s and '80s. So did all of my friends. The thought that these were "dirty" jobs fit only for immigrants never occured to me.
It sure wouldn't take below minimum wage, I think that's something we both can agree upon. And I've heard of plenty of people working on farms in their younger years back in the 60's, 70's, and 80's all of which said they were paid pretty well for their labor considering their age. I was born in the 90's therefore I was raised in the 2000's, so that type of labor is considered intensive or dirty for us; but to the man who may be hungry and willing to provide for their family these 'labor intensive' jobs are better than nothing. For people like myself, we'd rather exploit the opportunities in the service industry as opposed to the dirty jobs. Obviously there are people who are of my generation that are willing to take those jobs, but most, at least from my own general consensus, aren't willing to take those jobs. If those jobs paid more, maybe $12 or $13 an hour, people from my generation would work them a lot more as opposed to making $8 an hour at McDonald's. So are Americans willing to dirty jobs? Of course, but we demand more than a immigrant who would settle for $6 an hour.

One thing I'll say about immigrants especially of hispanic descent, is that they are hard workers at anything they do and many more Americans need their work ethic. I was talking to a Hispanic guy the other day who worked at this auto-parts store, he said he didn't know a lick of English upon arriving in the States but that didn't stop him from not only getting a job (under the table of course) but also learning English as well. He was saying that he had plenty of cash saved up and when he goes back home the people look at him as if he were a king, he owned a home here and a home back in his home country and he said that although here in the States what he saved doesn't classify as being 'rich' but back home it does. How can I say this guy isn't smart? Of course he's exploiting America of its wealth in a sense, but I can't blame him for deciding to move back to his home country when he finally decides to retire.

Getting back on topic, how exactly could we persuade those whom are unemployed to work for less? That's pretty much the question.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:43 PM

38,650 posts, read 26,446,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
This is what the employed often tells the unemployed. Does this prove the unemployed to be lazy?

Illegals work for cash.

Since employers don't have to pony-up for payroll taxes for an under-the-table employee, they are eager to hire these individuals.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:45 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,478,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
This is what the employed often tells the unemployed. Does this prove the unemployed to be lazy?
Not really. Many employers prefer to hire the illegals because they do unpleasant work for a lot less and have virtually no legal protection - they can squeeze them like lemons without fear of consequence.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:55 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,784,908 times
Quote:
Getting back on topic, how exactly could we persuade those whom are unemployed to work for less? That's pretty much the question.
I don't think we can. But as you said many people would be willing to work at physically hard jobs if they paid a few dollars more per hour. And the market would make this would happen if not for the presence of so many immigrant laborers.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I don't think we can. But as you said many people would be willing to work at physically hard jobs if they paid a few dollars more per hour. And the market would make this would happen if not for the presence of so many immigrant laborers.
Great point; employers look at their potential workforce, whomever can provide hard-work at the lowest cost possible is deemed the best suited for the position. If employers didn't have the option of having immigrant laborers, they'd essentially be forced to pay more if they want to remain solvent. Can I blame employers or more specifically Farmers for deciding to hire cheap laborers? Heck no, especially considering that Americans like their products cheap but if Americans were willing to pay the cost of having citizens hands picking their fruits, milking their cows and whatever else is done at farms then by all means farmers should hire more citizens as opposed to immigrants.

+1 For That Post.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:24 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,975,967 times
Quote:
Illegal immigrants are taking the jobs that the 'lazy' Americans don't want such as working at farms, doing landscaping work, and whatever is deemed as unpopular to most Americans and typically those jobs pay lower than minimum wage and that's why Americans don't want those jobs. It's not like those whom are illegal immigrants are taking jobs at companies such as Boeing and are building airplanes for $30 an hour, but quite the contrary.
The issue with illegal immigrants taking these jobs are somewhat true but there is another factor that should not be forgotten. Illegal immigrants are not paid as much as "lazy" Americans so employers can hire maybe five for the price of three American workers due to minimum wages and comparable wages in the field. I may not be smart but I can see if I can hire workers for the price of three, I will do that.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The issue with illegal immigrants taking these jobs are somewhat true but there is another factor that should not be forgotten. Illegal immigrants are not paid as much as "lazy" Americans so employers can hire maybe five for the price of three American workers due to minimum wages and comparable wages in the field. I may not be smart but I can see if I can hire workers for the price of three, I will do that.
Exactly; and that's why I say I can't blame companies completely, its only smart to do whatever keeps you solvent. So we can complain about illegal immigrants taking jobs or we could let those companies pack their bags up and move to where the illegal immigrants are, its our choice I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies