Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 12:07 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,736,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Today's Teens: More Materialistic, Less Willing to Work

By Beth Chee

Are today’s youth really more materialistic and less motivated than past generations, or do adults tend to perceive moral weakness in the next generation?

San Diego State University psychology professor Jean M. Twenge along with co-author Tim Kasser, professor of psychology at Knox College has set out to answer that question.

In a study published today by Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, Twenge and Kasser show that there is in fact a growing gap for today's young adults between materialism and the desire to work hard.
“Compared to previous generations, recent high school graduates are more likely to want lots of money and nice things, but less likely to say they’re willing to work hard to earn them,” said Twenge, author of the book “Generation Me.”

“That type of 'fantasy gap' is consistent with other studies showing a generational increase in narcissism and entitlement,” Twenge said. (continued at link below)

Today's Teens: More Materialistic, Less Willing to Work | NewsCenter | SDSU
A study published yesterday in a psychology journal appears to indicate that the teen generation today is by far the most narcissistic and feels the biggest sense of entitlement of any of the past generations.

I've noticed that in teens today. They're more self-centered, more self-absorbed, look down more easily on others, want to be #1 in everything, tend to be shallow and materialistic, and (unless it's pointed out to them), they don't have a heck of a lot of empathy except maybe for animals.

To blame for this? I say it's our culture of capitalism. Capitalism doesn't teach people to be compassionate, and it definitely doesn't teach people to work. Capitalism idolizes the rich, regardless of whether these worked to get their wealth or merely inherited it. Capitalism teaches people to take as much as possible without regard to anyone else, and if in the taking of everything someone else is hurt, well, isn't that just too bad! Capitalism teaches that rich people are better. Capitalism says, "greed is good - materialism is awesome," "the best system is one in which the winner takes all." In my view, that's exactly what we have taught this generation, turned them into reflections of what unbridled capitalism represents -pure savage greed and entitlement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 12:08 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,914,144 times
Capitalism is plenty regulated.....

this country hasn't seen an uninhibited free market for more than a few months in the 19th century

Old 05-02-2013, 12:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Definitely so. Kids today are being raised with no boundaries.

Who the heck buys a 12 year old a smartphone costing a few hundred dollars ?
I take up at least 1 phone a day in school and these kids have better phones than I do

Old 05-02-2013, 12:12 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,914,144 times
I think what the OP meant to say is "Capitalism is a byproduct of gluttonous humans and lack of critical thought"

Old 05-02-2013, 12:13 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
A study published yesterday in a psychology journal appears to indicate that the teen generation today is by far the most narcissistic and feels the biggest sense of entitlement of any of the past generations.

I've noticed that in teens today. They're more self-centered, more self-absorbed, look down more easily on others, want to be #1 in everything, tend to be shallow and materialistic, and (unless it's pointed out to them), they don't have a heck of a lot of empathy except maybe for animals.

To blame for this? I say it's our culture of capitalism. Capitalism doesn't teach people to be compassionate, and it definitely doesn't teach people to work. Capitalism idolizes the rich, regardless of whether these worked to get their wealth or merely inherited it. Capitalism teaches people to take as much as possible without regard to anyone else, and if in the taking of everything someone else is hurt, well, isn't that just too bad! Capitalism teaches that rich people are better. Capitalism says, "greed is good - materialism is awesome," "the best system is one in which the winner takes all." In my view, that's exactly what we have taught this generation, turned them into reflections of what unbridled capitalism represents -pure savage greed and entitlement.
Actually, no teen alive today has ever seen capitalism.

Crony Capitalism, on the other hand, is rampant.

Capitalism and Crony Capitalism are quite different.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
It has nothing to do with capiatlsim any more tha it did in the past. Captialism hads nothig to do with compassion and never did that is a human trait that is learned and still is.Its the self center right over what is common good that has changed and nothing to do withcapitalism at all.Othersie you would see mnay youg people with compassion for others and successful beyond what other generations dreamed of.The trait of self aborbed have always been their as well as the brutalioty it creates jsut not i these numbers from chocies made then having to survive with.I a society that rpoeaches whatever truns you on ;its not such a surprise really.It onlt effects some people has dowes alcohol and drug addictions.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:39 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Teach the entitlists that ion order to have stuff, you have to work for it.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:41 PM

252 posts, read 258,564 times
Culture of Mass Consumption

Old 05-02-2013, 12:42 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,881,656 times
Teens today are a reflection of sh*tty parenting, that's it.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:43 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,073,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite_limit View Post
Culture of Mass Consumption
Culture of Mass Liberalism
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies