Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 06:14 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,825 times

Advertisements

Good thing you are so much more intelligent than the friendsand family that told you those lies. Of course anyone who interprets the bible in a leteral way is a fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finley01 View Post
Oh I can prove it. A few family and close friends said a man was born by a virgin, walked on water, turned water into wine, fed thousands with two fish and five loaves, healed by touching, raised from the dead, was bled like a hog and came up two days later fit as a fiddle. If that doesn't convince you......................LOL!

Old 05-02-2013, 04:28 AM

196 posts, read 115,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
Good thing you are so much more intelligent than the friendsand family that told you those lies. Of course anyone who interprets the bible in a leteral way is a fool
The only reference for the bible is the bible. There were six known historians alive during the year and a half ministry of Jesus and not the first word is recorded anywhere by anyone about any of the miracles described in the bible. That would be like the NY Times never printing a word about Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle or Roger Maris.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:39 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finley01 View Post
Oh I can prove it. A few family and close friends said a man was born by a virgin, walked on water, turned water into wine, fed thousands with two fish and five loaves, healed by touching, raised from the dead, was bled like a hog and came up two days later fit as a fiddle. If that doesn't convince you......................LOL!
I've been SAVED!

Old 05-02-2013, 07:40 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
God probably had many kinds of civilizations on the earth.. and killed them off because they became evil. Just a guess.
That's exactly all it is, a bunch of guesses and the guesses that sound most preposterous become religion.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:34 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I'm discussing reality.

More bad stuff went into the air when Mt. Pinatubo erupted in the 1980's than all the fossil fuel pollution of the last 90 years, and still no catastrophe has occurred.

Humans are not responsible for global warming - and to the chagrin of the alarmists - the Earth is actually cooling.

"Global warming" is a political charade - it is a vehicle for liberals to expand regulation and central control.

In other words - it is a blueprint for the Democrats to turn the United States into North Korea.
If you're discussing reality, why tell this whopper of a lie?

Old 05-02-2013, 08:48 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
If you're discussing reality, why tell this whopper of a lie?
Where did you hear the falsehood that the statement is a lie - MSNBC?

Old 05-04-2013, 05:14 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Default A third view of evolution/creationsim

Hmmm, just to throw in the view that I haven't seen in this "Mexican standoff!" LOL, here is my view of the Scripture. First, I am a Christian. I believe in God. I have trusted Christ as my savior. I had a conversion experience. I've taken 21 hours of Bible courses in college. I'm older than the hills. I was on mess duty at the Last Supper. I was a traffic cop when Moses and the Hebrews crossed the dry Red Sea. When God said "Let there be light," I threw the switch. Just to give you an idea of how old I am.

But I still believe in God whether He created our world via the Creationism defended by some or whether He used evolution as defended by others. It DOESN"T MATTER in my mind, because God did it.

That's called real faith. Needing a particular view of it (as a Christian) is a limitation both on God and on your own window in the the heart of God.

If you are an atheist or agnostic, I'm not trying to convert you. You either get convicted by the Holy Spirit or you do not. No argument by any man will be able to bring you around (though there is no shortage of Christians who will try to do so).

Will God pass judgment---most certainly. Does He want Christians here on earth to do that---most certainly NOT. And that's what a lot of so called Christians on this thread are trying to do. Pass judgement.

At the end of the first chapter of Romans beginning with verse 24 through 32, the Word describes the vile things that will bring God's judgment-- and most Christians stop right there, as you have done Tartova, and as you imply (507), Harrier.

But the next verses in chapter 2 apply to we Christians:

Romans 2:1 Tartova who judges the the sins of gays and others
"Therefore thou are inexcusable, O man, whosever thou art that judgest: for wherein you judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things."
Romans 2:5
"But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the eday of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God."

Romans 14:4 Harrier who judges the sins of a "liberal" pastor
"Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up up: for God is able to make him stand.
14:5
"One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
14:6
He that regardeth the day regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it-----."

Romans 14:13 Please make note Tartova and Harrier
"Let us not therefore judge one another any more, but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way."

It is easy to pick up stones and walk around the accused waiting for the opportune moment to throw your rock. It is much harder to stand in the circle faced on all sides by your accusers, nervous, afraid, and praying that just one person will say, "He that is without sin should toss the first stone."

My calling by God is to take to task self-proclaimed Christians who make judgments about gays, illegals, abortionists, murderers, rapists, robbers, the most despised, despicable indivduals in society, and remind those Christians that God loves those people, as He loves you, enough to send His Son to die for them. For you to despise those for whom He sent His Son to die for, is anathema in His eyes, and He will destroy those who do so with the same judgments they render upon those they see as evil.

God called you to live your life as an example, not as a judge.

For all of you on this thread, I read this somewhere and wrote it down:

There is a meta-movement in the Scriptures, an arc to the unfolding story of redemption. It is the movement of Word to Flesh. Think of the Ten Commandments. One of them is "Thou shall not kill." It's base requirement: "Could you please not kill one another?" But then the story progresses, it evolves, and so later Jesus says that greater love has no man than to lay down their life for another. And then He demonstrates that love by giving His own life. So the earlier "could you try not to kill one another" grows into "could you love with such fidelity and devotion that you would actually give your life for another? (As in, "Would you do what Jesus did, Tartova, and DIE for a gay person, not knowing whether they would convert their life or not?)

The command, the words, to protect and preserve life take on flesh and blood, to the point where it's an entire pervasive pattern of life, second nature, in which you seek the the well being of others ahead of your own. So when Jesus talks about the kind of life God has for us, He talks about experiencing in flesh and blood a whole new way of life----

Serving, caring, discovering, thanking, resisting, forgiving, loving, tasting, embracing, doing whatever we do FOR THE LEAST OF THESE. It's an embodied faith, one that's dirty and bloody with sleeves rolled up and sweat on the brow. It's one where there is plenty of wine at the party.

For too many, it's "belief"--- getting the words right, that is the highest form of faith. Jesus came to give us a new life, a living, breathing, throbbing, blow your hair back, tingle your spine, roll the windows down and drive fast experience of God right here and now. Word taking on flesh and blood.

Remember, the movement is Word to flesh and blood, when so many try to make it the opposite. Beware of those who want to take the flesh and turn it back into words, when you find yourself in tied up in knots, having long discussions about who believes what, a little like dogs that sniff in a circle when they meet on the sidewalk.

Do this instead: Take a cup and some bread, put it in the middle of the table, say a prayer and examine yourselves. Then make sure everybody's rent is paid, there's food in every fridge, and clothes on eveyone's back, and then invite everyone to say "Yes," to Christ with whatever yes they can muster in the moment. As you share the cup and bread taste new life and liberation and forgiveness. Look into the eyes of all those around the table from all walks of life, with all levels of sin, and you will see the new humanity, sinners saved by grace, beggars who have found bread showing other beggars where they have found it. Remind yourselves this is what you believe. Remember the movement is Word to flesh.

Beware of those who will take the flesh and turn it back into words.

It's really much harder to be a Christian, than to say, "Don't sin." You have to truly love others more than you do yourself. Not many so called Christians really embrace that faith. It's why Ghandi once said, "If it were not for Christians, I would be a Christian."

He who has ears to hear, let him hear.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 05-04-2013 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: spelling, added quote

Old 05-04-2013, 06:35 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The sermon started out great today. The pastor was talking about how all living things, and even non-living things such as mountains, sing praises to the Lord just by being what they are meant to be.

Then he turned an excellent sermon into a political rant.

He started to say that humans are responsible for global warming, when this is still a controversial topic.

He mentioned Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth and even conceded that global warming has occurred in periods before fossil fuels, as Gore states in his book.

He said that Gore was mainly concerned with our own civilization - not the Earth - which will regenerate on its own - which makes it rather clear that Gore just wants to sell books and expand control and regulation, which is the wet dream of all liberals.

The pastor even mentioned Earth Day.

I thought that was the final straw, until he gave the benediction and said these words:

"Think globally, and live liberally".

Better than preaching hellfire and brimstone, judgement and fear.....

Old 05-04-2013, 07:03 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Hmmm, just to throw in the view that I haven't seen in this "Mexican standoff!" LOL, here is my view of the Scripture. First, I am a Christian. I believe in God. I have trusted Christ as my savior. I had a conversion experience. I've taken 21 hours of Bible courses in college. I'm older than the hills. I was on mess duty at the Last Supper. I was a traffic cop when Moses and the Hebrews crossed the dry Red Sea. When God said "Let there be light," I threw the switch. Just to give you an idea of how old I am.

But I still believe in God whether He created our world via the Creationism defended by some or whether He used evolution as defended by others. It DOESN"T MATTER in my mind, because God did it.

That's called real faith. Needing a particular view of it (as a Christian) is a limitation both on God and on your own window in the the heart of God.

If you are an atheist or agnostic, I'm not trying to convert you. You either get convicted by the Holy Spirit or you do not. No argument by any man will be able to bring you around (though there is no shortage of Christians who will try to do so).

Will God pass judgment---most certainly. Does He want Christians here on earth to do that---most certainly NOT. And that's what a lot of so called Christians on this thread are trying to do. Pass judgement.

At the end of the first chapter of Romans beginning with verse 24 through 32, the Word describes the vile things that will bring God's judgment-- and most Christians stop right there, as you have done Tartova, and as you imply (507), Harrier.

But the next verses in chapter 2 apply to we Christians:

Romans 2:1 Tartova who judges the the sins of gays and others
"Therefore thou are inexcusable, O man, whosever thou art that judgest: for wherein you judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things."
Romans 2:5
"But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the eday of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God."

Romans 14:4 Harrier who judges the sins of a "liberal" pastor
"Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up up: for God is able to make him stand.
14:5
"One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
14:6
He that regardeth the day regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it-----."

Romans 14:13 Please make note Tartova and Harrier
"Let us not therefore judge one another any more, but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way."

It is easy to pick up stones and walk around the accused waiting for the opportune moment to throw your rock. It is much harder to stand in the circle faced on all sides by your accusers, nervous, afraid, and praying that just one person will say, "He that is without sin should toss the first stone."

My calling by God is to take to task self-proclaimed Christians who make judgments about gays, illegals, abortionists, murderers, rapists, robbers, the most despised, despicable indivduals in society, and remind those Christians that God loves those people, as He loves you, enough to send His Son to die for them. For you to despise those for whom He sent His Son to die for, is anathema in His eyes, and He will destroy those who do so with the same judgments they render upon those they see as evil.

God called you to live your life as an example, not as a judge.

For all of you on this thread, I read this somewhere and wrote it down:

There is a meta-movement in the Scriptures, an arc to the unfolding story of redemption. It is the movement of Word to Flesh. Think of the Ten Commandments. One of them is "Thou shall not kill." It's base requirement: "Could you please not kill one another?" But then the story progresses, it evolves, and so later Jesus says that greater love has no man than to lay down their life for another. And then He demonstrates that love by giving His own life. So the earlier "could you try not to kill one another" grows into "could you love with such fidelity and devotion that you would actually give your life for another? (As in, "Would you do what Jesus did, Tartova, and DIE for a gay person, not knowing whether they would convert their life or not?)

The command, the words, to protect and preserve life take on flesh and blood, to the point where it's an entire pervasive pattern of life, second nature, in which you seek the the well being of others ahead of your own. So when Jesus talks about the kind of life God has for us, He talks about experiencing in flesh and blood a whole new way of life----

Serving, caring, discovering, thanking, resisting, forgiving, loving, tasting, embracing, doing whatever we do FOR THE LEAST OF THESE. It's an embodied faith, one that's dirty and bloody with sleeves rolled up and sweat on the brow. It's one where there is plenty of wine at the party.

For too many, it's "belief"--- getting the words right, that is the highest form of faith. Jesus came to give us a new life, a living, breathing, throbbing, blow your hair back, tingle your spine, roll the windows down and drive fast experience of God right here and now. Word taking on flesh and blood.

Remember, the movement is Word to flesh and blood, when so many try to make it the opposite. Beware of those who want to take the flesh and turn it back into words, when you find yourself in tied up in knots, having long discussions about who believes what, a little like dogs that sniff in a circle when they meet on the sidewalk.

Do this instead: Take a cup and some bread, put it in the middle of the table, say a prayer and examine yourselves. Then make sure everybody's rent is paid, there's food in every fridge, and clothes on eveyone's back, and then invite everyone to say "Yes," to Christ with whatever yes they can muster in the moment. As you share the cup and bread taste new life and liberation and forgiveness. Look into the eyes of all those around the table from all walks of life, with all levels of sin, and you will see the new humanity, sinners saved by grace, beggars who have found bread showing other beggars where they have found it. Remind yourselves this is what you believe. Remember the movement is Word to flesh.

Beware of those who will take the flesh and turn it back into words.

It's really much harder to be a Christian, than to say, "Don't sin." You have to truly love others more than you do yourself. Not many so called Christians really embrace that faith. It's why Ghandi once said, "If it were not for Christians, I would be a Christian."

He who has ears to hear, let him hear.

THIS!!! So good to finally hear it from a Christian!!

Old 05-05-2013, 07:32 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Today my pastor hinted that there might be something that the USA can do to cause some people to not hate us.

Liberals - making excuses for terrorists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies