Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 07:49 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,231,813 times

Advertisements

I don't think it's seen as progression. It's not seen as anything different than any other relationship in my book. I suppose a small segment of the population would look at it negatively, but I don't know of anyone that believes an interracial relationship is better than a relationship within the same race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 07:52 PM

138 posts, read 155,186 times
I think there is a shift with liberals and republicans? Most posting must be very liberal. Remember the thread from last week about black men abandoning white women, there was lots of discussion and it was even locked. There were a lot of viewpoints and not many supported it.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:53 PM

1,755 posts, read 3,002,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose532 View Post
I know but I meant, it is against Islam for a Muslim woman to marry a non Muslim man, so she is breaking away from her religion to be married to him. Most people in her native country would not approve of her relationship, so there would be a lot of negative stigma.

I wonder what his parents think. There may be a lot of backlash from his parents to. For me family comes first. I can not see myself just saying I fell in love and negating my culture, religion and upbringing.
It depends, I'm sure. They might be lenient as opposed to militant. Her family may very well be welcoming of the relationship as one of my friends is a Muslim female from Egypt who was in a relationship with a white male, Christian. He explored her culture just as she explored his from what I know.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:54 PM

620 posts, read 1,302,588 times
Race and ethnicity are social constructions. Race was developed in the US when female Irish indentured servants began intermarrying with enslaved African men. The masters did not know how to classify the offspring of these unions. Were they indentured servants, which meant that their servitude was limited to a certain period of time, or were they slaves, which meant that they were bound by life. They made the distinction between the "races" and that is how race was born.

Each culture defines racial and ethnic groups based upon their own history. Usually, these cultures were once part of a colonial system.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:04 PM

30,420 posts, read 52,052,611 times
Quote:
I think there is a shift with liberals and republicans? Most posting must be very liberal. Remember the thread from last week about black men abandoning white women, there was lots of discussion and it was even locked. There were a lot of viewpoints and not many supported it.
There will always be people on both sides of this issue, but the beauty of America (at least now) is that we have the freedom to choose for ourselves. If you want to stick with your race, you are free to do so - and if you wish to date outside of your race, you are also free to do that. I almost exclusively date outside of my race/culture, and if anyone tries to give me a hard time about that, they will get a swift taste of my evil redhead side. Mwahahaha.

As for the liberal/Dem vs conservative/Republican, I think liberals in general tend to be more open to this concept. Just look at the recent controversy over that segregated prom, or any other modern segregation & racism issue, and they're more often happening in "red states/counties." That's not to say ALL conservatives are against interracial dating, or that ALL liberals are okay with it... just saying the conservative regions tend to be more in favor of segregation (whether forced or chosen).

Old 04-30-2013, 08:04 PM

I thought most Americans do not like race mixtures?

Old 04-30-2013, 08:05 PM

620 posts, read 1,302,588 times
Quote:
Maybe 50 or so years ago, but recent polls have shown that the majority of Americans are fine with interracial relationships.

Probably because we have become more informed on how stupid racial construction truly is.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:06 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,075,258 times
Quote:
They seem like a nice couple, but their culture will be destroyed and not grow. She is Sudanese and he is Australian. I think they are in love but it seems like he would be better off with an Australian woman from his culture and she would be better off with a Sudanese man from her culture.

I am just stating my views I do not mean to offend.
Or perhaps they can combine and make a new and better culture that does not tie itself to the wavelength at which light waves bounce off the skin.

Perhaps it is time to redefine culture in more rational terms. Doing something the same bad way because others have done it that way in the past is maybe a bad idea?

Traditions based on ethnicity are an evil force in the world, limiting the growth of man and bogging him down in irrationalism and emotionalism. I think we should move away from it. Look at all the stupid blood feuds in the world whose origins lie in ethnic identification.

1,466 posts, read 1,231,813 times
Quote:
What made you think that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
There will always be people on both sides of this issue, but the beauty of America (at least now) is that we have the freedom to choose for ourselves. If you want to stick with your race, you are free to do so - and if you wish to date outside of your race, you are also free to do that. I almost exclusively date outside of my race/culture, and if anyone tries to give me a hard time about that, they will get a swift taste of my evil redhead side. Mwahahaha.
What does your name mean? It is very different. I have met some people from California and they seem to be very open to different cultures and experiences like you. I did enjoy my brief stay in Southern California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies