Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 06:52 AM

138 posts, read 154,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
According to Wikipedia, gender plays a big role in whether interracial marriage ends in divorce:

A 2008 study by Jenifer L. Bratter and Rosalind B. King conducted on behalf of the Education Resources Information Center examined whether crossing racial boundaries increased the risk of divorce. Using the 2002 National Survey of Family Growth (Cycle VI), the likelihood of divorce for interracial couples to that of same-race couples was compared. Comparisons across marriage cohorts revealed that, overall, interracial couples have higher rates of divorce, particularly for those that married during the late 1980s. The authors found that gender plays a significant role in interracial divorce dynamics: According to the adjusted models predicting divorce as of the 10th year of marriage, interracial marriages that are the most vulnerable involve White females and non-White males relative to White/White couples. White wife/Black husband marriages are twice as likely to divorce by the 10th year of marriage compared to White/White couples, while White wife/Asian husband marriages are 59% more likely to end in divorce compared to White/White unions. Conversely, White men/non-White women couples show either very little or no differences in divorce rates. Asian wife/White husband marriages show only 4% greater likelihood of divorce by the 10th year of marriage than White/White couples. In the case of Black wife/White husband marriages, divorce by the 10th year of marriage is 44% less likely than among White/White unions. Intermarriages that did not cross a racial barrier, which was the case for White/Hispanic White couples, showed statistically similar likelihoods of divorcing as White/White marriages.

Interracial marriage in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I figured it was probably better to look at the success rate of interracial marriage than get a non-opinion from me. I wasn't expecting the gender differences as a factor.
This is an American study, where the cultures and religion are more similar. How does this relate to a Muslim Sudanese woman marrying a Christian Western man?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 06:55 AM

107 posts, read 116,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Should there be a limit?

How about this. We let citizens decide how to live their own lives.
Sounds good. So when do I get to have my town or state or even country where race mixing is illegal since I get to decide how to live my life?

Old 05-01-2013, 06:56 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,048,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slasher11 View Post
Wrong. Ethnic identity correlates directly with culture

There's no such thing as a Chinese Viking.

Ethnicity is more than skin deep. It's cultural as well. (additionally ethnicity is more than skin deep biologically being that races have radically different bone structures)

Ethnicity DOES have meaning. But you as a person are welcome to place no value on it. But that does not mean it doesn't have meaning because YOU think it doesn't.

You're just being arrogant and oppressing others with your own self-righteous world view.
It's not a matter of opinion. It is a fact. One's ethnicity tells us nothing about that person in terms of value. Value comes only from character and achievement.

9,229 posts, read 9,764,939 times
Quote:
Should there be a limit?

How about this. We let citizens decide how to live their own lives.
At the micro level yes, everyone makes his/her own decision.
At the macro level, the media and the government should guide people. In the US, media is very influential.

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
Right. I have cherokee back ground, but I have primarily white european DNA. Because my european DNA is dominant this relegates me to the white european haplogroup since that is my majority ethnicity. Someone who has an asian mother and a white father is mixed. But if that person goes on to have children with an asian spouse and those children go on to have children with asian spouses the european ancestry of those children are replaced over time, thus they become full asian in a few generations.

Simple genetics.
You could have a Native American haplogroup and be mostly white Irish. Haplogroups only signify one ancestral line of the many thousands we all have. One maternal line and one paternal line. And there is no "white European haplogroup." If you want to claim knowledge of genetics, don't say things that signify otherwise.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:57 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,048,990 times
Quote:
Sounds good. So when do I get to have my town or state or even country where race mixing is illegal since I get to decide how to live my life?
Never. Your own life is limited to you, the one. You never get to decide anything for anyone else.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Even if the gene is recessive, there will be markers there for it.
Markers or not, the gene is still recessive.

And with particular combinations those recessive genes often never show any markers.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:58 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,636,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose532 View Post
Is it not better to just marry people that are from your race and background? I don't understand.
No, it is better to marry people you love, connect with and will make you happy. Interacial marriage are just that. It is not about being progressive but hopefully about two people who find they have chemistry, and things in common.

What does race or nationality have to do with anything ? What does it matter ? I am French and I really cannot comprehend why I should somehow limit my horizons to French culture and roots. My race is an accident of birth, I tend to judge people by their actions and their words. Jerks are jerks whether from your own race or not. I think we have enough reasons to find some people dislikeable without adding race or nationality to the mix personally.

I married out of my nationality and background and am extremely happy with my choice. I have never regretted it once in 25 years.

When you meet someone who makes you laugh, smile, will look after you if or when you need it, someone who "gets" you, someone who is kind, decent, loyal and you can trust with your life then my advice would be to grasp them with both hands and never let them go. Regardless of colour, creed or nationality...

People can retain their culture without having to exclude others. And to be honest I like now being a little bit of both British and French. It teaches you things, open new horizons, teaches new things , new ways to look at things and approach life. It enriches you rather than diminishes you. Gives you a greater understanding about what life is outside of your own tiny bubble.

Then again to me nationality means little, I prefer to retain the bits of my native culture which are good and discard the bits which are not.

A monochrome world would be so much more boring and lacklustre.

Culturally and socially I prefer to open up my life a bit more....

I have for example never understood immigrants who choose the same national communities in their new host country and expats who spend their entire lives trying to pretend they have never left. What is the bloody point ?

People are people. You either like ( love) them or you don't. Anything else is irrelevant at the end of the day.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:58 AM

138 posts, read 154,791 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, I thought you had said before that you lived here.

If you don't live here, why are you so concerned with who we allow to marry who?
So far you have posted about same sex marriage, and interracial marriage. If it bothers you, don't come here. This is the was it is in America. We allow each person to have the freedom to live as they choose, as long as they are harming no one.
I find American culture fascinating. You won't find these types of exchanges anywhere else. I have some extended family in the U.S. and have visited on many occasions and would like to relocate to the U.S. soon.

Why do you say that it bothers me? I was referring to my culture, but I did not say that mixed marriages are bothersome. I asked why is it seen as social progression, because in my country it is better to marry someone who is from the same ethnic background and religion.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Never. Your own life is limited to you, the one. You never get to decide anything for anyone else.
If myself and many other like minded people wish to come together and form our own collective with our own rules (our own state) then that's our right as free and willing people. You are in no position to tell us what we can or can't do. Unless you're a coercive and oppressive human being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies