Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 07:59 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times

Advertisements

If people want to marry outside of their race, religion, culture, or whatever, SO FREAKIN' WHAT???!!!! You can't help who you fall in love with. Shouldn't it be about the individual person anyway? I'm white. My wife is white. She just so happens to be the person that I fell in love with.

Live and let live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 08:00 AM

138 posts, read 154,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Maybe, maybe not. The person you fall in love with, is the person you fall in love with.

You could pass up the opportunity of happiness to wait and see if someone with the same skin as you works out. Or you can hold on to the love you already have.

Why would it matter if your skin tones don't match?
In my country, this would be a very odd pairing. She is Sudanese, he is Australian, she is Muslim and he is Christian. Look at how she dresses, is his will not imposed on her to look more Western and behave as such? I am sorry if you misunderstood, I am asking questions to understand more.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:00 AM

620 posts, read 1,301,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite_limit View Post
Do you have a link for this?

I have a hard time believing 51% of Americans favor interracial relationships. When only 8% are even involved in such a marriage.
My comments are supported by the Pew Research Center, who are your comments supported by?

"Interracial Marriage
Once a social and legal taboo in this country, interracial marriage is now widely accepted by Americans of all racial groups. In the Pew Research survey, about two-thirds of whites (64%) say they would be fine with a member of their family marrying a black person; an additional 27% say they would be bothered but would accept it.

Among blacks, eight-in-ten (80%) say it would be fine with them if a family member were to marry a white person, and another 16% say they would be bothered but would accept it. Just 6% of whites and 3% of blacks say they could not accept a black-white interracial marriage in their family.

Within both races, degrees of acceptance are higher among younger respondents than older ones.

Since 2001, acceptance of black-white interracial marriage has risen slightly among whites. It is still the case that more blacks than whites approve, but the black-white gap on this question has fallen from 31 percentage points in 2001 to 16 percentage points in 2009.

The survey finds that most Americans also are ready to accept intermarriage in their family if the new spouse is Hispanic or Asian. But there is one new spouse that most Americans would have trouble accepting into their families: someone who does not believe in God. Seven-in-ten people who are affiliated with a religion say they either would not accept such as marriage (27%) or be bothered before coming to accept it (42%)."

Blacks Upbeat about Black Progress, Prospects | Pew Social & Demographic Trends

Quote:
''Fine with it" ? Pretty board statement. Your 2nd statement is one only made by someone of mixed raced, dating some of another race or has family with mixed race. Sorry that makes you bias on the issue. Your circle of friends might share your opinion but there is no way 51% of this country favors interracial relationships.
It seems to me that you are the one making the ridiculous statements. Talking about "mixed race" persons like this just make you seem overly paranoid. Guess what - a large amount of people living in the US are 'mixed race' and that number is only growing. It is true that people are growing aware of the truth about race and ethnicity; this is why the US census has added designations for people to identity as "more than one race".

Old 05-01-2013, 08:01 AM

620 posts, read 1,301,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You do realize "fine with it" and "favor it" are two different things - right? Or maybe not.
I think the subtleties are lost on that person.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:04 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose532 View Post
In my country, this would be a very odd pairing. She is Sudanese, he is Australian, she is Muslim and he is Christian. Look at how she dresses, is his will not imposed on her to look more Western and behave as such? I am sorry if you misunderstood, I am asking questions to understand more.
Maybe she WANTS to dress that way. Maybe she chooses to behave more Western.

Why do you assume he is pushing her to do anything?
Men in other countries don't control their women, and dictate their every move.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:06 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I think it is ok to have a few mixed people. However it should not be a movement en masse.
What does it matter?
You don't get to choose for anyone but yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
At the micro level yes, everyone makes his/her own decision.
At the macro level, the media and the government should guide people. In the US, media is very influential.
I disagree, the media and the government should not guide anyone; nor do they unless the persons being influenced can't think for themselves.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Maybe she WANTS to dress that way. Maybe she chooses to behave more Western.

Why do you assume he is pushing her to do anything?
Men in other countries don't control their women, and dictate their every move.
If she suddenly chose to wear hijab (covering) would he object?

Old 05-01-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
True, but the Malaysian interpretation forbids both males and females from marrying non-Muslims.
There is no Malaysian interpretation. If you are referring to Islam as a religion, Muslim men are allowed to marry women of the book (Jewish and Christians) but not faiths outside of these. Muslim women are not allowed to marry non Muslim men.

The reason behind this is that, marital relationships demand mutual love, affection and intimacy and without this, the purpose of marriage is left unfulfilled. If such close relationship of love and intimacy is established with a non-Muslim, it may emotionally incline a Muslim towards disbelief (kufr) or, at least, the abhorrence of Kufr and Shirk may not remain in the heart. Consequently, it may lead one to disbelief.

Most Malaysians, like any other culture marry within their own ethnicity, but this is not in Qu'ran.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:14 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slasher11 View Post
If myself and many other like minded people wish to come together and form our own collective with our own rules (our own state) then that's our right as free and willing people. You are in no position to tell us what we can or can't do. Unless you're a coercive and oppressive human being.
I believe you already have Stormfront, don't you?

Old 05-01-2013, 08:15 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose532 View Post
If she suddenly chose to wear hijab (covering) would he object?

I suppose he shouldn't object if he thinks his girlfriend is ugly.

Or if he's got such low self confidence that self-subjugation displayed by a woman makes him feel more like a man.

Or if he's so insecure that he thinks other men looking at his woman threatens him.

These are the only reasons I can think of to support the wearing of the hijab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies