Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 07:31 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,728,342 times

Advertisements

To start, I'm a white American man of Jewish and Italian descent and my wife is Malaysian of Indian (Tamil) descent. We're very happy together despite our different nationalities, races, cultures and religions. We don't have children yet, but if and when we do, I look forward to having mutlti-cultural chilren. Who knows, my kid may go to Synagogue on Saturday, the Hindu Temple on Sunday and then watch the New England Patriots while eating roti canai...that's the beauty of it.

However, I do understand that for some people culture and/or race are very important. Although I believe that some are narrowing their choices when looking for a mate, they have every right to do so. But once you start imposing your views on me or others like me, that's when we have a problem. Much like the American south not allowing interracial marriages until 1968, my wife's home country of Malaysia has similar rules enacted. The country is 60% Muslim and Muslims are not allowed to marry non-Muslims. If you are Muslim and you marry a non-Muslim, you are required by law to convert or the marriage isn't legal. If a non-Muslim couple is married, and one member converts to Islam, the marriage is annulled. The same case could be made about people in the US who try to stop gays from having their legal unions recognized. Both of these cases are examples of where either government and/or culture play a role in deciding who we love and it shouldn't be tolerated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 07:32 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slasher11 View Post
Of coarse I have a native american haplogroup DNA. But my point is my haplogroup DNA is primarily that of European which classifies me as a member of the caucasoid race.

I don't think you fully understand racial classifications and how they are prescribed.

For example: North Africans are members of the Caucasoid race, but they have black african haplogroup DNA. You could argue by your narrow defintion of race that north africans are mixed, but they still belong to the caucsoid race for example.

I think you need to better educate yourself on the subject.
I could go into a very long treatise on how you are so wrong it's laughable, but I won't. I'll just point out that you are so wrong that it's laughable.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:34 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,879,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose532 View Post
Certain people will answer positively because it may be seen as less progressive to state otherwise. In my country the poll would show the opposite because although it is not a problem if someone were to choose a marriage partner who wasn't in the culture, it is not viewed as a positive.
So in other words, you cannot accept the fact that people here are more progressive than in your country, therefore it cannot possibly be so? They MUST be lying when they answer a survey if the results are different than you think they should be?

It's obvious you are the one with a problem. It bothers you that the majority of Americans don't share your bias and you are working so very hard in this thread to get other Americans to bash interracial marriage to make you feel that you are not a bigot. I'm sorry to have to tell you that you are.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:36 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slasher11 View Post
Sounds good. So when do I get to have my town or state or even country where race mixing is illegal since I get to decide how to live my life?
YOU can decide to not marry outside of your race, but you can not control what your neighbors do.
That is freedom.

If you want your own town where you get to make the rules, go buy a lot of property, and build one on your own private property.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:38 AM

107 posts, read 116,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I'll just point out that you are so wrong that it's laughable.
Excellent. So you concede defeat.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
At the micro level yes, everyone makes his/her own decision.
At the macro level, the media and the government should guide people. In the US, media is very influential.
You follow what the media says? LOL.

Try thinking for yourself. It's really liberating.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:40 AM

138 posts, read 154,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
To start, I'm a white American man of Jewish and Italian descent and my wife is Malaysian of Indian (Tamil) descent. We're very happy together despite our different nationalities, races, cultures and religions. We don't have children yet, but if and when we do, I look forward to having mutlti-cultural chilren. Who knows, my kid may go to Synagogue on Saturday, the Hindu Temple on Sunday and then watch the New England Patriots while eating roti canai...that's the beauty of it.

However, I do understand that for some people culture and/or race are very important. Although I believe that some are narrowing their choices when looking for a mate, they have every right to do so. But once you start imposing your views on me or others like me, that's when we have a problem. Much like the American south not allowing interracial marriages until 1968, my wife's home country of Malaysia has similar rules enacted. The country is 60% Muslim and Muslims are not allowed to marry non-Muslims. If you are Muslim and you marry a non-Muslim, you are required by law to convert or the marriage isn't legal. If a non-Muslim couple is married, and one member converts to Islam, the marriage is annulled. The same case could be made about people in the US who try to stop gays from having their legal unions recognized. Both of these cases are examples of where either government and/or culture play a role in deciding who we love and it shouldn't be tolerated.
Muslim men are allowed to marry Jewish and Christian women, but you are correct when you state that Muslim women are not allowed to marry non Muslim men. This is because a man's will is more easily imposed on a woman.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:40 AM

107 posts, read 116,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
If you want your own town where you get to make the rules, go buy a lot of property, and build one on your own private property.
I can't do that because I am oppressed.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
I find American culture fascinating. You won't find these types of exchanges anywhere else. I have some extended family in the U.S. and have visited on many occasions and would like to relocate to the U.S. soon.

Why do you say that it bothers me? I was referring to my culture, but I did not say that mixed marriages are bothersome. I asked why is it seen as social progression, because in my country it is better to marry someone who is from the same ethnic background and religion.
I don't see it as social progression. I see it as the freedom to choose how to live your own life.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:43 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,170,336 times
Quote:
Why are Interracial Relationships viewed as social progression and a positive thing in the U.S. and in other Western Nations? In my home country, it's important for people to marry within their ethnic group and definitely within the same race. Although there is no crime for marrying another person of a different race, it's just not thought of as social progression or something noble and great.

Why do people see interracial relationships as a step in the right direction? Is it not a good thing for people to maintain their culture, heritage, customs and language? I watched the below video and I like the couple, but she is Sudanese and he is Australian. They are so different culturally. Their children will not have any traditional Sudanese values and will not look like either of them. Can someone please explain why this is a good thing?

I apologize if some may be offended, this is not intended to offend. I am just trying to understand the Western culture and customs better.

Truth Or Dare couple challenge - YouTube
Because it shows that people have moved beyond racism & prejudices. Why are you so bewildered by it? More importantly, why do you care? Live & let live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies