Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 05:57 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,711,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose532 View Post
That is very diverse, but Outside of the U.S. things are very different.
Latin America is as diverse, if not more diverse, than the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 05:57 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,328,034 times
Quote:
I attended English primary school in my country and UNI in the UK. Perhaps you would feel better if I used the wrong words to express myself? Obviously, since I am not British or American, I should not be able to speak English properly. Why do you have this horrible stereotype? Maybe you do not know that my family enjoys a very good standard of living in Turkey and we can speak English very well. Have you ever travelled, many of us can speak multiple languages exceptionally well. I speak Turkish, English, French, Arabic and Armenian and plenty of Italian.

When I study something I master it. My grammar on the boards may not be on par with a native English speaker's grammar, but if I wrote a very serious composition I would edit to make certain that there were no mistakes. Am I a troll for doing this? Apparently, so.
A better question is why you have such a horrible stereotype.
You must have really hated living in the UK with your viewpoint.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:58 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,250,148 times
Quote:
I think people will say they approve during the polling, but this is not really true. Most people prefer to marry heir own culture and ethnicity.
The question wasn't who would YOU prefer to marry, it was are you in favor of allowing interracial marriage.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:58 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,711,184 times
Quote:
Everyone seems so accepting on this forum, but I know there are people in the U.S. who do not believe in crossing ethnic or color lines. Why are they not responding to share their views?
They're over on Stormfront. I'm sure some of them have migrated over here to foul up the air.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:00 AM

107 posts, read 116,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I'm from the Americas and my heritage comes from three continents.
Then as a mixed race person you have no credibility on the subject, because to denounce interracial relationships as a mixed person is to denounce your own existence. This is why I think mixed race people do not belong in this discussion because you are inherently biased.

Quote:
Humanity blends and creates new people all the time, and as we connect with each other across the world on a progressively higher level, this process will accelerate. It's a great thing for our world.
Sounds like mixed race supremacy to me.

I think to retain our ethnic identities as they exist today is to retain diversity and to champion humanity as it has existed for thounads upon thousands of years. Diversity is a good thing. Wouldn't you agree?

Old 05-01-2013, 06:06 AM

138 posts, read 155,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
A better question is why you have such a horrible stereotype.
You must have really hated living in the UK with your viewpoint.
I did not hate living in the UK, although if given a choice, I would rather live in the U.S.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:10 AM

37,809 posts, read 41,101,157 times
According to Wikipedia, gender plays a big role in whether interracial marriage ends in divorce:

A 2008 study by Jenifer L. Bratter and Rosalind B. King conducted on behalf of the Education Resources Information Center examined whether crossing racial boundaries increased the risk of divorce. Using the 2002 National Survey of Family Growth (Cycle VI), the likelihood of divorce for interracial couples to that of same-race couples was compared. Comparisons across marriage cohorts revealed that, overall, interracial couples have higher rates of divorce, particularly for those that married during the late 1980s. The authors found that gender plays a significant role in interracial divorce dynamics: According to the adjusted models predicting divorce as of the 10th year of marriage, interracial marriages that are the most vulnerable involve White females and non-White males relative to White/White couples. White wife/Black husband marriages are twice as likely to divorce by the 10th year of marriage compared to White/White couples, while White wife/Asian husband marriages are 59% more likely to end in divorce compared to White/White unions. Conversely, White men/non-White women couples show either very little or no differences in divorce rates. Asian wife/White husband marriages show only 4% greater likelihood of divorce by the 10th year of marriage than White/White couples. In the case of Black wife/White husband marriages, divorce by the 10th year of marriage is 44% less likely than among White/White unions. Intermarriages that did not cross a racial barrier, which was the case for White/Hispanic White couples, showed statistically similar likelihoods of divorcing as White/White marriages.

Interracial marriage in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I figured it was probably better to look at the success rate of interracial marriage than get a non-opinion from me. I wasn't expecting the gender differences as a factor.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
I'm from the Americas and my heritage comes from three continents. I believe that since my ancestors came together and produced me and others related to me and who may look like me, we represent the best traits and traditions of these disparate geographic and cultural heritages. We are new people. Humanity blends and creates new people all the time, and as we connect with each other across the world on a progressively higher level, this process will accelerate. It's a great thing for our world.
Do you see yourself as those separate cultures or one blended culture? Blended cultures do not maintain the same cultural traditions and customs. Do you agree?

Old 05-01-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The question wasn't who would YOU prefer to marry, it was are you in favor of allowing interracial marriage.
Certain people will answer positively because it may be seen as less progressive to state otherwise. In my country the poll would show the opposite because although it is not a problem if someone were to choose a marriage partner who wasn't in the culture, it is not viewed as a positive.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:22 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,075,258 times
Quote:
Slasher, I do not advocate what you have posted in any way. I asked about cultures and ethnic backgrounds not about brain size. I do not look down on any mixed race person. My question was, why is mixing races seen as social progression in the U.S.?
The answer is simple. Race is an irrelevant characteristic. It means nothing. You have no intrinsic value based on your race. Your race is not a good thing or a bad thing.

Therefore, a society can be viewed as more enlightened and rational to the degree that it discounts race as a criteria in social interactions. Backward countries dwell on race and keeping others at a distance. Forward countries stop caring about race as time goes on so that interracial marriage becomes as meaningless as race itself.

One of the reasons America is the best country in the world is it has broken away from backward ideas of tradition and culture where people hide in the perceived safety of collectivism.

To the degree that a country ignores race in social relationships, it demonstrates Reason. To the degree that it remains insular and fears racial mixing, it demonstrates Mysticism.

Also, what people vote on is not related to what is rational and right. If a society votes to ban interracial marriage, they are an objectively wrong and backward society that has chosen darkness (anti-reason). The Islamic societies of the Middle East are a good example of those that purposely choose darkness, fear, collectivism, and irrationality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies