Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 07:02 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,121,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose532 View Post
Why are Interracial Relationships viewed as social progression and a positive thing in the U.S. and in other Western Nations? In my home country, it's important for people to marry within their ethnic group and definitely within the same race. Although there is no crime for marrying another person of a different race, it's just not thought of as social progression or something noble and great.

Why do people see interracial relationships as a step in the right direction? Is it not a good thing for people to maintain their culture, heritage, customs and language? I watched the below video and I like the couple, but she is Sudanese and he is Australian. They are so different culturally. Their children will not have any traditional Sudanese values and will not look like either of them. Can someone please explain why this is a good thing?

I apologize if some may be offended, this is not intended to offend. I am just trying to understand the Western culture and customs better.

Truth Or Dare couple challenge - YouTube

Because people used to get arrested for interracial marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 07:07 AM

107 posts, read 116,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
You could have a Native American haplogroup and be mostly white Irish. Haplogroups only signify one ancestral line of the many thousands we all have. One maternal line and one paternal line. And there is no "white European haplogroup." If you want to claim knowledge of genetics, don't say things that signify otherwise.
Of coarse I have a native american haplogroup DNA. But my point is my haplogroup DNA is primarily that of European which classifies me as a member of the caucasoid race.

I don't think you fully understand racial classifications and how they are prescribed.

For example: North Africans are members of the Caucasoid race, but they have black african haplogroup DNA. You could argue by your narrow defintion of race that north africans are mixed, but they still belong to the caucsoid race for example.

I think you need to better educate yourself on the subject.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:08 AM

138 posts, read 154,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post

When you meet someone who makes you laugh, smile, will look after you if or when you need it, someone who "gets" you, someone who is kind, decent, loyal and you can trust with your life then my advice would be to grasp them with both hands and never let them go. Regardless of colour, creed or nationality...

Truly beautiful words, but there are always people who you can marry within your ethnicity who have the same love for you, correct?

Old 05-01-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Because people used to get arrested for interracial marriage.
Only in America, no where else really.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Only in America, no where else really.
South Africa.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slasher11 View Post
South Africa.
Only in the U.S. and South Africa has it ever been outlawed yet there are little instances of interracial marriages throughout the world. This may show that most people naturally gravitate to their own ethnicity for marriage, correct?

Old 05-01-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Only in the U.S. and South Africa has it ever been outlawed yet there are little instances of interracial marriages throughout the world. This may show that most people naturally gravitate to their own ethnicity for marriage, correct?
Yes, but that's because most places in the world are still largely homogenous (except white countries, diversity seems to only exist there.)

Old 05-01-2013, 07:25 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times
The Caucasian race is not in danger. Even though I believe it will disappear in North America within 100 years. I believe we will all look alike by then as there will be so much mixing. We will probably look like Brazilians and speak English and Spanish.

I'll be long gone, just a picture in some photo album of a white guy from the 20th century.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The Caucasian race is not in danger. Even though I believe it will disappear in North America within 100 years. I believe we will all look alike by then as there will be so much mixing. We will probably look like Brazilians and speak English and Spanish.

I'll be long gone, just a picture in some photo album of a white guy from the 20th century.
Actually north americans will still be primarily white simply because there's so many whites in north america. Don't forget, most mexican are 40-60% white. This is why when whites and mexicans have kids the kids often come out looking primarily white (i have many such people in my own family.)

North Americans will look like sicilians. Tanned white people. But the mostly pure races will always exist in America just as they exist today in brazil even though brazil is primarily black and mulatto, there's still a large white population there with steady growth among whites.

It's hard to say because globalization is so recent. But there's a good possibility that ethnicities can survive in a highly diverse environment.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slasher11 View Post
Yes, but that's because most places in the world are still largely homogenous (except white countries, diversity seems to only exist there.)
In the UK, London is very diverse, but outside of London, there are few non English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies