Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 07:43 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slasher11 View Post
If myself and many other like minded people wish to come together and form our own collective with our own rules (our own state) then that's our right as free and willing people. You are in no position to tell us what we can or can't do. Unless you're a coercive and oppressive human being.
And if one of those people decides for them self that they want to marry someone of a different race, there is nothing you can do to stop them, unless you personally own the town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose532 View Post
Truly beautiful words, but there are always people who you can marry within your ethnicity who have the same love for you, correct?
Maybe, maybe not. The person you fall in love with, is the person you fall in love with.

You could pass up the opportunity of happiness to wait and see if someone with the same skin as you works out. Or you can hold on to the love you already have.

Why would it matter if your skin tones don't match?

Old 05-01-2013, 07:47 AM

107 posts, read 116,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And if one of those people decides for them self that they want to marry someone of a different race, there is nothing you can do to stop them, unless you personally own the town.
If me and my collective are rulers of our state then that's our decision to make. Not yours.

You as an American do not decide what laws China can or cannot enforce.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:48 AM

107 posts, read 116,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Maybe, maybe not. The person you fall in love with, is the person you fall in love with.

You could pass up the opportunity of happiness to wait and see if someone with the same skin as you works out. Or you can hold on to the love you already have.

Why would it matter if your skin tones don't match?
Race is more than skin tone.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:50 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,728,342 times
Quote:
Muslim men are allowed to marry Jewish and Christian women, but you are correct when you state that Muslim women are not allowed to marry non Muslim men. This is because a man's will is more easily imposed on a woman.
True, but the Malaysian interpretation forbids both males and females from marrying non-Muslims.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
I can't do that because I am oppressed.
You can't get a job, and save money to buy property?

Old 05-01-2013, 07:51 AM

138 posts, read 154,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
So in other words, you cannot accept the fact that people here are more progressive than in your country, therefore it cannot possibly be so? They MUST be lying when they answer a survey if the results are different than you think they should be?

It's obvious you are the one with a problem. It bothers you that the majority of Americans don't share your bias and you are working so very hard in this thread to get other Americans to bash interracial marriage to make you feel that you are not a bigot. I'm sorry to have to tell you that you are.
I am sorry for the misunderstanding. I am not bigot nor do I hate those who do not marry within their ethnicity and culture. Do I fully understand why this is viewed as progressive, no I do not.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:52 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,636,683 times
Quote:
Truly beautiful words, but there are always people who you can marry within your ethnicity who have the same love for you, correct?
The man I fell in Love wasn't French. Love Happens. I can't say I ever even considered ever being limited to French men. It never even crossed my mind.

Perhaps because I have travelled since I was a Baby and lived in many different countries, it has never been important to me what Nationality people are. I live near Oxford where almost everyone you meet is from somewhere else or a "mutt" and I love it. You get a really interesting mix of people whose cultures often "bleed" into one another and it's great.

French culture is no more valid to me than others when it comes down to it. I don't assign a qualitative value to it. Some parts of it are part of me. Others not. I did not chose to be born French. Accident of Birth is no reason to stick to your own kind IMO.

Humans make connections at very different levels and in very different ways, and I think narrowing your pool of choices is not necessarily a good thing.

Human relationships are fraught with many obstacles that it true and yes sometimes these will be highlighted even more by cultural or religious differences, nobody could deny that.

But at the end of the day if you enter into a relationship with your eyes and mind open and both of you know and understand the other I don't see this as too much of an issue. What kills relationships is lack of communication and respect. And that sadly happens whether you are from the same culture or not.

People are individuals even within their own group. Some could never integrate and could not adapt others take to it like a duck does to water....

I think you should marry who makes you happy. Anything else is just froth.

We are herd animals by nature and innately programmed to stick close together , safety in numbers and all that... personally though to me leaving the herd is liberating and desirable.

How do we know what we are missing (or not) unless we truly give ouselves a chance to see what's out there ? You might still find love back into the herd or simply decide to join another herd or even start your own.... Who cares at the end of the day ?

I don't think it is about being "progressive". I think it is simply about being with the person you love. I don't think anyone marries someone from outside their racial/national group simply to make a point of being somehow "trendy" .

Why would it be better to marry only within your own culture ? What is so frightening or negative about marrying without it ?

Inter-racial relationships are not progressive nor are they regressive... They just are.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
If me and my collective are rulers of our state then that's our decision to make. Not yours.

You as an American do not decide what laws China can or cannot enforce.
If your state is a state of the united states, then you have a constitutional problem. Even states have to follow the constitution. The best you could do is maybe a private compound.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Race is more than skin tone.
WHO CARES!
Get over yourself. YOU don't get to tell anyone else how to live, or who to marry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies