Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 08:11 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,771,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Teaching has never paid enough, even counting the three months summer break that I could afford to be one. Add the low pay to the hassles of school administration, school boards, fundamentalists and inept parents and teaching is really not worth the money.

Besides a shrewd securities hedge fund gambler can make more in a few months than most states entire school budgets for a year so kids study finance instead of teaching.
A teacher gets 4 months off a year not three, for that 60 M a year job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 08:15 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
A teacher gets 4 months off a year not three, for that 60 M a year job.
well it depends on where you're a teacher.. in Idaho.. yes I don't have to go to "work" 8-4... but I am required to further educated and be trained in this time.. also you fail to realize that teachers also while working 8-4.. put in hours in the evenings grading papers and preparing lesson plans... believe me.. when factoring it all in.. it makes up for summers being off...

whats ironic about being a teacher.. is I feel like I am a student as well.. with deadlines and responsibilities to myself and my students... that are not defined by a 9-5 work day...

Old 11-02-2007, 08:29 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
teachers who are not in it for the right reasons... it is apparent..but they are allowed to hide behind a union to ensure their job.. While I think the union is good to ensure unfair treatment and such.. it should not be used as a tool to promote poor standards... perhaps there should be a checklist or quota established by the unions.. so that teachers who do not go the extra mile like so many others.. lose their protection from the Union... Believe me.. if you put the pinch on people to PROVE they are in it for the right reason... they'll quit... and then you can go about rewarding teachers who perform...

Old 11-02-2007, 09:34 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,771,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
teachers who are not in it for the right reasons... it is apparent..but they are allowed to hide behind a union to ensure their job.. While I think the union is good to ensure unfair treatment and such.. it should not be used as a tool to promote poor standards... perhaps there should be a checklist or quota established by the unions.. so that teachers who do not go the extra mile like so many others.. lose their protection from the Union... Believe me.. if you put the pinch on people to PROVE they are in it for the right reason... they'll quit... and then you can go about rewarding teachers who perform...

Now that I agree with 100%, reward the teachers who really care and want to and can teach. Pay those well and get rid of the others.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:20 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Not sure what the exact amount is, but teachers here on Long Island generally start off near there (depending on the district). Long Island has among the highest paid teachers in the country, and among the best schools in the country. We also have among the highest cost of living in the country as well as among the highest property taxes in the country, where school taxes generally make up 2/3 of the tax bill (a situation not helped out by unfunded federal mandates). Teachers should be paid more than they are, it could impact taxes and cost of living, but when you look at the areas which generally have the highest paid teachers such as here on LI, you generally have a higher quality education for your kids to go along with it.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:09 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,815 times
Some of that Stossel stuff was pretty good. Hes not the final authority and has his bias but hes also a pretty good journalist.

http://www.decimation.com/markw/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/firing_chart.pdf (broken link)

Warehousing Teachers in Rubber Rooms - February 16, 2006 - The New York Sun

ABC News: John Stossel's 'Stupid in America'

Old 11-06-2007, 11:55 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,854 times
there is a thread in the education folder called "teacher pay nationwide" that should answer your question.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:02 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
what are the "right reasons" to go into teaching? how do they differ from the reasons for entering any other profession? teaching is an occupation, not a call to the ministry. people take all kinds of other jobs for the hours, the benefits, the money, or whatever else you're suggesting aren't the "right" reasons. (do you think anyone grows up dreaming of working at the post office?) what difference does it make why someone takes a job, as long as he does it well?

Old 11-06-2007, 01:32 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,103,050 times
Default Salary

I taught for two years in Tucson. My salary was 29,750 or something like that my first yea rand then the second year I got a whopping $250 raise. I'm sure if you live in the middle of nowhere 30k will get you far, Tucson is way overpriced though. My gf teaches high school world history in a district that pays a little higher I think she gets 31k and maybe if she's lucky by the time she gets about 10 years experience her district will pay her 38k.

I also saw the article that this thread was based on. I have never seen 60k starting and can't even picture it, unless you have a doctoral degree and teach in an extremely high cost of living area. If you start looking around online at salary schedules, you will find that most districts $60,000 is a masters degree and 15 years away if you are lucky. From the view of someone who was capable got burned out because of lazy kids with unsupportive parents if we had had raises that kept up with the cost of living it might have been worth my time, but to work and put yourself into a job and see kids that don't care no matter how hard you try and then live paycheck to paycheck and never save..... not worth it.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:35 PM

396 posts, read 1,035,254 times
Depends where you live...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies