Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2013, 10:15 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I cannot admit it's an anomaly, because if there is at least 1 company per every 2 states that treats it's employees the way Mine treats employees, that's at least 25 employers. Statistically, there would have to be more than that even, I am just using minimal figures.

That would include

About Toyota | Careers

Why Facebook, The ‘Best Company’ To Work For, Doesn’t Need A Union | TechCrunch

in fact here is a list of best employers, I am sure that at least 10 of them have no unions.

Best Places to Work | Glassdoor

Another list, I amsure there are a few here that also don't have a union.

Top Workplaces 2012 | www.statesman.com

You see, While I don't personally know of 10 companies, the fact is, that with as MANY employers in the U.S. as there are, statistically, there has to be a number of them that treat employees well.

Besides, in your previous post, you basically called me a liar when you said,

Why are republicans anti-union?

I sent you a direct message NAMING my employer, just as YOU asked.

Some of the benefits, right from the website job listing from my employer,

- YourWealth: 401K plan and pension plan
- YourHealth: medical, dental, vision, prescription drug, long-term disability and flexible healthcare spending accounts
- YourLiving: short-term disability, personal leave, adoption assistance and long-term care insurance
- YourCareer: mentoring and training opportunities

So, while I cannot personally name 10 employers that provide the same bennies that MY employer provides, I am sure they can be found in the lists I provided above, without without stretching credulity to fantastic lengths.
Fair enough although I wasn't calling you a liar in your own case. I'm only questioning your intellectual honesty when you infer that the majority of American workers are similarly treated. And I'm STILL calling bullsh*t on that count because I know better.

If course there are 25 companies that treat employees well...hell, there are hundreds that do so. But there are millions of working people and the majority dare I say are trying to hold on to what benefits they have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 10:42 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Balls!!! Every engineer I know ( a bunch) makes 3 times as much as some ditch digger, machine operator, non working hide in the crowd union suck wads....I loved killing a IBEW shop and hireing back no one but hard working team players and at better wages and benes then the electrical workers could offer....I happily awarded a 30 million dollar goverment project to the non union GC ... Not even prevailing wage!!! I'm proud to wear a RTW NOW sticker on my hard hat right next to the project manager sticker.....
Being a "project manager" on a room extension on your buddy's house ain't that big of a deal but if it makes you feel like a queen,have at it.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:03 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Fair enough although I wasn't calling you a liar in your own case. I'm only questioning your intellectual honesty when you infer that the majority of American workers are similarly treated. And I'm STILL calling bullsh*t on that count because I know better.

If course there are 25 companies that treat employees well...hell, there are hundreds that do so. But there are millions of working people and the majority dare I say are trying to hold on to what benefits they have.
I said
Quote:
I disagree. There are a number of companies who take care of their employees, because they understand that taking care of their employees leads to getting better employees. I work for one such company. I have a nice salary, health insurance, Dental, vision, short and long term disability, 401K and company match AND a pension plan, Life insurance.
I never inferred there was a MAJORITY of American workers, and I agree, there are companies out there who will take advantage of workers. In fact the MAIN ones that come to mind, are ones that hire undocumented workers for ridiculously low wages and pay under the table.

There are however people like you and I, who are employed by reputable companies, who desire to get the best employees, and are willing to provide the benefits necessary to attract capable employees.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:17 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Why not strongly support unions if that's the only way you know of to find better pay and benefits? Tell me something, why would you be so incredibly wrong and foolish as to turn down a unionized job if the pay and benefits were better, especially if you have a family to support?
Because they would be like the rest of the unionized jobs here. Work themselves out of a job.

You guys love to shkw statistics of unions dropping and jobs leavi g the us. Ever wonder if the high union jobs ever left the us because of unions?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-12-2013, 01:22 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
I work non union. Get paid well got $14k in raises in the last 2 years. Great benefits, full tuition reimbursement great 401k, 2 weeks sick, 2 weeks vacation anf we get a bonus every year based on company performance. Recently they just started a dual review thing where we have an opporunity for a 2nd raise each year from a different fund so our original chances for a raise don't change.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:35 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
I work non union. Get paid well got $14k in raises in the last 2 years. Great benefits, full tuition reimbursement great 401k, 2 weeks sick, 2 weeks vacation anf we get a bonus every year based on company performance. Recently they just started a dual review thing where we have an opporunity for a 2nd raise each year from a different fund so our original chances for a raise don't change.

I fail to see what this has to do with union jobs other than maybe you should thank the people who pay dues and have motivated your company to treat you fairly.

You may need an advocate someday and you won't have one. Your company could decide they are paying you too much and let you go for lack of work or something else and replace you with a young person who makes half the money.

It happens all the time. If you had a union contract you wouldn't have to worry about that.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:09 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I fail to see what this has to do with union jobs other than maybe you should thank the people who pay dues and have motivated your company to treat you fairly.

You may need an advocate someday and you won't have one. Your company could decide they are paying you too much and let you go for lack of work or something else and replace you with a young person who makes half the money.

It happens all the time. If you had a union contract you wouldn't have to worry about that.
It also doesn't happen if your work requires training and skills. I work in information technology. You cannot just take any Tom, Dick, or Mary off the street and stick them where i sit, and expect them to perform the job I perform.

It does happen if you are a fry cook at McDonalds.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:42 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Being a "project manager" on a room extension on your buddy's house ain't that big of a deal but if it makes you feel like a queen,have at it.

LoL whatever....

Last edited by my54ford; 05-12-2013 at 05:51 PM..

Old 05-12-2013, 05:56 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeekerBot View Post
I'm a conservative myself, but I don't see why? of course some unions are pointless but others are needed, it made dangerous working conditions much better for their workers, the entire reason we have a "weekend" is because of unions. This anti union rhetoric is the entire reason we are losing voters, I know most union workers are conservative value wise.
The key word is corruption. Unions are fine when they are not corrupted.

I don't like corrupt unions who collude with politicians and bureaucrats to pad their wallets with taxpayer money, special tax and regulatory waivers, and loop holes. The worst ones are the incestuous government workers unions.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:00 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

Agreed, unionizing can be a great thing, as long as the union leadership and the employees don't forget that we all have a business to run, and they don't stop working together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies