Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 01:08 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeekerBot View Post
I'm a conservative myself, but I don't see why? of course some unions are pointless but others are needed, it made dangerous working conditions much better for their workers, the entire reason we have a "weekend" is because of unions. This anti union rhetoric is the entire reason we are losing voters, I know most union workers are conservative value wise.
conservatism at its core to me is exclusionary. In the conservative club business owners' opinions are much more important than the opinions of workers.

More importantly, conservatives think government policy should bend to the expressed desires of business owners.

The formation of unions on a fundamental level disrupts that philosophy. It is very difficult for individual citizens to have their policy preferences reflected within government at any level.

Business owners have always had much more access to those levers of political power and have always used that access to get the government policies they prefer.

The creation of unions is one avenue that nominally anyway the issues of working joes can gain some ability to impact government policy.

Since business owners hate this, the conservative party hates unions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 01:09 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Um, its in the workforce, what kinda dumb question is that?
Obviously, you're totally clueless as to how rare a unionized workplace is, especially in right to work states.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:09 PM

126 posts, read 152,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Because there is an abundance non union private sector jobs in this economy right now, right? What a moron. We would be in BIG trouble if it wasn't for unions.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:10 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishAmericanBklyn View Post
How does that make him unqualified. The only thing you are able to do is insult people you don't even know purely because you disagree with them. You have no argument, you are an idiot.
Read carefully. The first sentence had this thing called a QUESTION mark at the end. It is not a statement, it is a question.

. Implies the end of a statement

? Implies the end of a question.

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Quote:
How does that make him unqualified. The only thing you are able to do is insult people you don't even know purely because you disagree with them. You have no argument, you are an idiot.
I didnt say he was unqualified, I asked him if he was because he said he "hit the jackpot" with the unionized job, so this would mean that he couldnt find a similar job at a non unionized shop so I want to know why.. HENCE THE QUESTION MARK..
Quote:
The only thing you are able to do is insult people

you are an idiot.
haha.. all in the same paragraph, what a hypocrite..

126 posts, read 152,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
conservatism at its core to me is exclusionary. In the conservative club business owners opinions are much more important than the opinions of workers.

More importantly, conservatives think government policy should bend to expressed desires of business owners.

The formation of unions on a fundamental level disrupts that philosophy. It is very difficult for individual citizens to have their policy preferences reflected within government at any level.

Business owners have always had much more access to those levers of political power and have always used that access to get the government policies they prefer.

The creation of unions is one avenue that nominally anyway the issues of working joes can gain some ability to impact government policy.

Since business owners hate this, the conservative party hates unions.
The conservatives on here don't realize they are not part of that "club".

Old 05-11-2013, 01:12 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,723,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
No, far from it. The day I got hired on from my damned low pay job to a unionized job was the day I struck the jackpot. Never regretted it.

Nonthing like not haveing to apply yourself to get a raise every year is there

Old 05-11-2013, 01:12 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,883 times
Quote:
Because there is an abundance non union private sector jobs in this economy right now, right? What a moron. We would be in BIG trouble if it wasn't for unions.
You were one, but I wasn't going to say it. Wall St, and all our 401ks are rocking, and have been for the majority of the period of the union membership death spiral.

That graph was kind-it did not start at the peak period several points higher. But unions will need to begin showing membership by hundredths of a percent, instead of tenths, as it is hard to spot percentages so close to the X axis.

The majority of US job growth is occcuring in RTW states. I live in the metro region that ranks 2nd in America for recovery period job growth. Done WITHOUT unions-places like that VW Chattanooga plant adding to the thousands now working there.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:13 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Are you saying you were unqualified to find a similar job at a non unionized shop? I bet you were hired on merrits, not because the place was unionized.. But here you are, crediting the union.. Weird..
NO. I simply did fine during the interview. In many small towns, decent paying jobs of any kind are hard to find. That's why so many small towns are dying off.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:14 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,031,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
No, far from it. The day I got hired on from my damned low pay job to a unionized job was the day I struck the jackpot. Never regretted it.
And you can bet that there are tons of unskilled workers across the country in labor unions who feel the same way you do. There's no better mechanism in this country for an uneducated, low skilled worker to make more than they're worth than a labor union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies