Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 04:37 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
In the US, there is no secret that neighborhoods are often divided by race.
Here, I fixed it for you.
In the US, there is no secret that neighborhoods are often diversified by race.

And, mod cut/ on the Original Post? Naughty, naughty, for shame, for shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 04:52 AM

154 posts, read 245,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The biggest divisions in American society are not race-based anymore. They are class-based. Rich people live with other rich people. Poor people live with other poor people. Poor people have become the class of people everyone is allowed to disparage and loathe. Rich=good. Poor=bad. When it ain't necessarily so.
Wrong, race still trumps class in America. The vast majority of poor Black people live in neighborhoods where the only White people they see are the police. The vast majority of poor lower income Blacks in America have never had a next door neighbor who is White.

You will not find any poor White families living urban inner city housing projects. The majority of White poverty in America is concentrated in rural areas, out in the sticks.

Watch a movie called "Mud" starring Matthew McConaughey, which takes place in rural Arkansas and you will see what I am talking about. The majority of White poverty in America is not found in the big cities.

Even poverty is very racially segregated in America when it comes to Blacks and Whites.

That is why you never see any poor White families in urban ghetto hood movies like Menace To Society and Boyz In Da Hood.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:19 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
what would you do if one of your neighbors decided to rent out his house through section 8? what could you do? i'm not saying it's a good thing. i'm buying a house now and only plan on living in it for 3 to 5 years. I would definitely get nervous if my neighbors started renting out to low income families.
They won't.

We're above the section 8 price structure.

However, if it did happen, I would be reporting EVERY discretion by them immediately.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Why?
Because low income government subsidized people do not deserve to live in a nice suburb where all of the other inhabitants have saved, sacrificed and paid large mortgages and high taxes.

They also bring a low income lifestyle with them.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97701 View Post
It's a class thing? Is that just putting a new name on it? Quality of renters wtf?

Treat them with respect and they will treat you with respect, for the most part. If you want specific suggestions, I can give some.
That's simply not true.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
I have no problems... in my near 6 neighbors, mostly white, one black family, and an interacial couple.

Best one is a white guy, takes alot of pride in his stuff, his house landscaped nicer then mine(but my grass is much better )

The interacial couple is probalby next best. All the others, not bad but decently kept, no problems.

One neighbor,t he worst kept, is the works, has alot of people living in the house. Like 7 people, I am still confused why the lawn is maintained better. Not the worst ever but they need to throw a little weed and feed down.

They did **** me off. Our grass goes dormant in the winter, and as it comes back weeds/wildlflowers over grow the grass a bit. We had a clump of wildflowers, like 1 foot tall, between our yards, mainly their yard encroaching on mine. No big deal everyone has an issue before the grass comes back because its not really worth mowing the lawn yet. Either way he mowed his lawn before me, goes over one little wild flower area, the only area of non-dormant grass in my yard. He mows directly on his line. He literraly could have gotten it all with one standing still swoop of a lawnmower, but he leaves it. So I had to go tune up and take care of my lawn equipment for the season to trim a 2 foot by 4 foot area of tall wildflowers.

Kind of annoyed me.
We consider ourselves very fortunate that we literally have ZERO neighbors who don't maintain their properties.

I can leave tools, radios and other things on my deck while I'm doing a project without the fear of theft.

I accidentally left my garage door open.....I have thousands of dollars of tools and other equipment in there...for almost en entire day and had no fear that anything would be missing.

How many of you can say the same?

BTW....most of my neighbors have access to my garage door code and can feel free to borrow anything they need.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:31 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
I want only people of other races to be my neighbors. If I wanna see (place stereotype offensive to other white people here), I can just go visit my family. Plus, it could help break that stupid barrier which still comes between people of different skin tones. I don't think it's a conscious effort to be divided for most people; I think people just get into cliques without thinking.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:20 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,385,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brimelow View Post
Wrong, race still trumps class in America. The vast majority of poor Black people live in neighborhoods where the only White people they see are the police. The vast majority of poor lower income Blacks in America have never had a next door neighbor who is White.

You will not find any poor White families living urban inner city housing projects. The majority of White poverty in America is concentrated in rural areas, out in the sticks.

Watch a movie called "Mud" starring Matthew McConaughey, which takes place in rural Arkansas and you will see what I am talking about. The majority of White poverty in America is not found in the big cities.

Even poverty is very racially segregated in America when it comes to Blacks and Whites.

That is why you never see any poor White families in urban ghetto hood movies like Menace To Society and Boyz In Da Hood.
This is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
They won't.

We're above the section 8 price structure.

However, if it did happen, I would be reporting EVERY discretion by them immediately.
Yes, we have a couple of those properties in my neighborhood, and I can say the cops have been there more than a few times over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I want only people of other races to be my neighbors. If I wanna see (place stereotype offensive to other white people here), I can just go visit my family. Plus, it could help break that stupid barrier which still comes between people of different skin tones. I don't think it's a conscious effort to be divided for most people; I think people just get into cliques without thinking.
So, you're white? Do you live in Cabrini Green, Queens, or South Central?

Old 05-17-2013, 06:29 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
So, you're white? Do you live in Cabrini Green, Queens, or South Central?
Cabrini Green was demolished a while back. The area is being yuppified and all the low income people have been pushed out. They can't afford to live there anymore.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:42 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyvern212 View Post
I have an issue with this because it implies that you're racist if you don't want to live in a diverse environment.
I don't necessarily think that's true, but I've never understood the notion that it would be preferable to live in a homogenous community where all those around you shared your appearance, culture and ideology.

I've always felt that it is by interacting with those different from us and coming to learn from and understand the differences between us (and celebrating the similarities between us--which are many since, at base, there is only one human race and we all share the most fundamental attributes of the Human Condition) that we become more fully human.

I can't imagine living in, or wanting to live in, an environment in which there was no diversity of thought and culture.

Please don't think I am calling you a racist or an idiot or anything. I respect your viewpoint; I just differ about 180 degrees from your position. Doesn't mean one of us is right and the other wrong...just opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies