Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2013, 08:33 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times

Advertisements

I don't care what race my neighbors are, as long as I'm left alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 08:52 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In the US, there is no secret that neighborhoods are often divided by race.
How many people still prefer living with their own race now?

This is the answer given by people in the world:

[MOD CUT]

Map shows world's most racist countries (and the answers may surprise you) | Mail Online
I don't care about the color of my neighbor's skin. As long as they keep up the property well, keep the yard tidy, are quiet, and don't engage in illegal activities...I don't care about their skin color, national origin, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, etc.

Just be a good neighbor. That's all I ask. And I will do the same.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:12 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I don't think other races do behave similarly, minorities move to neighborhoods where they are a minority.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
What is Queens doing with the other two?
Technically...maybe.

Yes, a rich black pro athlete is much more likely to move to a neighborhood that is more rich and affluent, and thus more likely to move a place more white; however, the mini-Mexico neighborhood in the inner city is likely to have more Latinos move in, and the primarily black areas in inner cities are tenfold more likely to have blacks move in than whites, if any whites at all. This is an absolute fact I have lived through my entire life in the inner city here. The mini-Mexico on the East Side here is markedly more Latino now than it was when it started over a decade ago, not more white. The Latinos are fraternizing, "clanning up" as would any other race and as many other races consistently continue to do throughout the entire country. This is called "balkanization" and is becoming more and more pronounced - divisions along race and culture are becoming more and more blatant - throughout the country. This will only continue more and more IMO.

So I can't concur with your statement. Along all racial people they are more likely to move into neighborhoods that have more of the people from their ethnic backgrounds or cultures - it's not just a white thing.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:27 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In the US, there is no secret that neighborhoods are often divided by race.
How many people still prefer living with their own race now?

This is the answer given by people in the world:

[MOD CUT]

Map shows world's most racist countries (and the answers may surprise you) | Mail Online

To answer your question OP. Skin color doesn't bother me, nor in 2013 should it bother anyone else. Unfortunately people still tend to get hung up on it. I already have people in my neigbhorhood that are of different skin colors, and we get along just fine. Having said that, as long as you're a decent human being, treat others with respect, I have no issue. To put it mildy, a-holes come from all walks of life. To prove that point, we have a renter in our neighborhood who has a rap sheet a mile long, and get this... he is white! The cops are watching him, and it's only a matter of time.... So to me it's more or less the character of the individual, than their skin color. It's irrelevant to me!

Old 05-17-2013, 10:39 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,475,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyvern212 View Post
Well it's normal for most white neighborhoods to have atleast one or two black families in it. But once they all start to pile in is when the whites start to leave regardless of if said blacks are bringing crime with them or not.

Myself, and many other white families/people, moved out of my last neighborhood because blacks were moving in. Not because they brought crime with them, but because where ever blacks go property value drops. I didn't want to lose money on my home when I sold it so I did so sooner rather than later to get as much money out of my home as possible.

Thing is, neighborhoods with blacks in them simply do not have a good value. That's just how the ball rolls.

I for one do not wish to live in a neighborhood with a significant amount of blacks in it though because that's just my preference. *shrug*

But I imagine living in California it's alot different there as that state attracts degenerates not only from other places of the U.S. but from every corner of the world. Very backwards place.
What you described is de facto institutional racism. Even if all the black people moving in are perfect model citizens with perfect model citizen children, white people are going to move out in droves after the neighborhood rises above a certain percentage of black people.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:42 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I don't care what race my neighbors are, as long as I'm left alone.
Me too.

And get off my damn lawn!!!

Old 05-17-2013, 10:59 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
So I can't concur with your statement. Along all racial people they are more likely to move into neighborhoods that have more of the people from their ethnic backgrounds or cultures - it's not just a white thing.
Agreed, what I meant was that non-whites generally don't mind being a demographic minority in their neighborhood.

Last edited by nei; 05-17-2013 at 11:17 AM..

Old 05-17-2013, 11:00 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
If you've got the money to buy the house i can hardly see why it's my business what race they are.

I tend to mind my own business.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:32 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I live in a diverse area, where Compton, Gardena, Torrance and Carson collide.
I'd bet the OP can't conceive of the diversity of your area. It would be pretty cool to take her to the Sizzler on South Avalon and watch her jaw drop.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:36 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,423,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I wonder if you see how prejudicial this sounds. As with the poster above, I'm not tying to call you out, but you are literally pre-judging potential hypothetical neighbors of a different income level across the board without even knowing who these people might be or how they live or what they might be like in any sense other than their tax bracket.

It makes me curious if your prejudicial feelings towards lower earners than yourself also extends to people of skin tones different from yours.
It's true, I live in a neighborhood that welfare recipients can not afford. If a black family moved in they obviously are educated and worked hard to be able to afford it. It's not a prejudice thing, it is a fact of ability to afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies