Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 07:24 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
If someone is a really bad person, do you feel absolutely no sympathy for them no matter how much they suffered? Like for example if a murderer or a rapist or a pedophile or Bernie Madoff had cancer and were screaming in pain would you feel absolutely nothing for them? Or would you still have an empathetic response despite your loathing of them and their deeds?

Does your empathy only apply to "good people" and can you shut it off for certain unsavory types?
Selectively sociopathic. Hmmm. Never thought of it that way, but, I guess I am. There have been a couple people I have seen either go out VERY bad, or are maimed, permanently, that I felt zero empathy for. Only pure, raw hatred. It's kinda scary, in a way, knowing that side of yourself. It's a demon I prefer stay chained. The couple of times that he got loose, does not make me proud, but, neither do I feel shame. The vermin in question, got what was due them.

The selectively sociopathic label, is rather creative. I suppose it's an appropriate term. As I understand sociopathology, it is a complete lack of conscience or emotion. And, I did feel something at the culmination of two, particular, varmints cumupence. But it was NOT empathy. More like a deep satisfaction, coupled with a sort of ...regret...that I didn't get to hand them their fate, personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 07:27 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
"Selectively Sociopathic"? What does that even mean? If anything, selectively empathetic would be closer to what you're conveying. "Selectively sociopathic" makes it sound like you're only a serial killer when the mood hits you...

Sounds like liberals invented a new phrase.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:07 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
If someone is a really bad person, do you feel absolutely no sympathy for them no matter how much they suffered? Like for example if a murderer or a rapist or a pedophile or Bernie Madoff had cancer and were screaming in pain would you feel absolutely nothing for them? Or would you still have an empathetic response despite your loathing of them and their deeds?

Does your empathy only apply to "good people" and can you shut it off for certain unsavory types?
I think that if we took pedophiles etc. and subjected them to public execution by scaphism (ancient persian punishment takes a few weeks to die horribly...kinda makes crucifying look humane) that many of the remaining pedos etc. would suddenly find more "self control" because sociopaths do care about themselves.

I give this far end example for the following reason.....

If horrific punishment to horrible individuals would prevent horrific things from happening to innocents would that mean that some people in society would rather not experience the personal discomfort of knowing such punishments are carried out? They would rather have horrible things happen to others than have that discomfort....would that not make them sociopathic to some extent or is it just deep denial?

I think you see this a lot from people that live a nice life, in a safe place and haven't had to deal with these issues. I think if you speak to child services workers, police etc. that have to deal with some of this wreckage you might get a different answer.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:24 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,505 times
I don't enjoy seeing anyone in pain.... however I do believe some people don't deserve to live.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:34 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I feel that I have a limited amount of empathy. What I mean is that I can't feel the pain for every human in the world - I'd be crushed by it. I do feel that some people are more "deserving" of empathy than others - for instance, I feel much more empathy for say, someone who is the victim of a drunk driver and who is severely injured - than someone who CHOOSES to try to climb Mt Everest and who gets stuck on a tiny ridge for 25 days. I mean - one person was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time while the other person CHOSE to take ridiculous risks.

Karma Karma.

I don't feel that this attitude is "selectively sociopathic" however. I refuse to take on that label.

Yeah, I'd have to say I have a similar view as you. As for the OP's reference to Bernie Madoff, and feeling empathy for him, when he ripped people off and stole their life savings....well, the only empathy that I have for him is.... may God have mercy on his soul. As you alluded to.... KARMA! And it can be a b***!

Old 05-17-2013, 06:36 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Punishment exists first and foremost to prevent the victim from taking revenge. Such things often lead to blood feuds and threaten order. While protecting the general public and lastly the criminal themself is also part of the reason the main reason we have a justice system is to appease the victim and public's need for revenge.
LOL I don't see it that way at all. I see the need for the justice system and punishment for crimes to be directly tied to protecting society at large.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:45 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
No.

Did those people have any empathy while they were stealing someone's wealth, retirement, life, family, homes, cars and other possessions?

Too bad, so sad. Now it's their turn to be forced out of the gene pool (albeit too late for many).

Old 05-17-2013, 07:11 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think that if we took pedophiles etc. and subjected them to public execution by scaphism (ancient persian punishment takes a few weeks to die horribly...kinda makes crucifying look humane) that many of the remaining pedos etc. would suddenly find more "self control" because sociopaths do care about themselves.

I give this far end example for the following reason.....

If horrific punishment to horrible individuals would prevent horrific things from happening to innocents would that mean that some people in society would rather not experience the personal discomfort of knowing such punishments are carried out? They would rather have horrible things happen to others than have that discomfort....would that not make them sociopathic to some extent or is it just deep denial?

I think you see this a lot from people that live a nice life, in a safe place and haven't had to deal with these issues. I think if you speak to child services workers, police etc. that have to deal with some of this wreckage you might get a different answer.
What about the falsely accused?

The only thing having a government that engages in torture as a regular course of action accomplishes is creating a culture that treats the pain of others as entertainment. Besides, look at places like Saudi Arabia and Iran, where an eye-for-an-eye, mutilation, and public execution exist, there is still murder, pedophilia, and rape.

And I have dealt with the wreckage. No, thanks. It won't fix the problem and it will debase the rest of society.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:15 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,090 times
Quote:

No. I am an equal opportunity sociopath. I give a tinker's damn about everyone equally.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:30 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times
My empathy is fair and balanced, I weigh the evidence and if you deserve empathy you get it if you don't you don't get squat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies