Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2013, 06:36 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Excuse me if I don't take the word of a church stated by a 17 year-old kid who wears magic underwear, and has magic glasses.

They have a lot of problems themselves.
The opinion of the LDS church is relevant as they are the largest charter organization, and ergo, do have some influence over BSA policy.

Faith-Based Chartered Organizations

The 25 faith-based organizations with the largest Scouting youth membership
(Source: 2012 Boy Scouts of America Local Council Index, using December 31, 2012, membership data):

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints 37,856 units 430,557 total youth

United Methodist Church 10,868 units 363,876 total youth

Catholic Church 8,397 units 273,648 total youth

Presbyterian Church 3,597 units 125,523 total youth

Lutheran Church 3,827 units 116,417 total youth

Baptist Churches 3,981 units 108,353 total youth

Episcopal Church 1,179 units 41,407 total youth

United Church of Christ, Congregational Church 1,191 units 38,225 total youth

Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) 1,165 units 33,941 total youth

Community Churches 1,054 units 32,311 total youth

Church of Christ 546 units 15,430 total youth

Evangelical/independent churches 294 units 7,899 total youth

Church of God 237 units 5,241 total youth

Church of the Nazarene 156 units 4,181 total youth

Reformed Church in America 127 units 4,077 total youth

Jewish synagogues and centers 156 units 3,738 total youth

Church of the Brethren 101 units 2,759 total youth

African Methodist Episcopal 149 units 2,416 total youth

The Salvation Army 130 units 2,233 total youth

Islam, Muslim, Masjid 78 units 2,222 total youth

Assemblies of God 91 units 2,193 total youth

Christian Methodist Episcopal Church 95 units 1,970 total youth

Community of Christ 61 units 1,899 total youth

Pentecostal Churches 107 units 1,830 total youth

Other churches 879 units 23,910 total youth

Chartered Organizations and the Boy Scouts of America

Old 05-24-2013, 06:38 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
He meant youths as opposed to youths and scoutmasters.

Absolutely it's just a matter of time before the Scouts are fully 'integrated.' And it's about time.
I just wonder if there are REALLY any youth that are openly gay at that age. It seems like it would be a very small number since most guys come out when they're in their late teens or 20s.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:52 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1212343 View Post
The rise in homosexuality is the result of the birth control pills that their mothers have taken for decades prior to conception, RBGH hormones in food sources and the promotion of homosexual media propaganda. A guy who behaves like a girl is not normal, end of story.
Another misinformed uneducated person spreading unbased lies. The reason more homosexuals are seen is because fewer have a need to hide in a closet, there have always been gay people. I know straight men who are delicate and almost feminine and I also know gay men who are tough and rugged. Stereotypes are a poor way to make a judgement on all people of a group.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
I'm not denying that homosexuality has always existed even in the animal kingdom it exists, what I'm wondering is why is it rising so quickly today? I don't want to hear any religious non-sense saying "because the world is coming to a end", I want hardcore evidence. When I was younger I didn't see much gay people, and it's not because I wasn't aware because I knew gay adults back then, but I can't understand why the youth are coming out more. I grew up around females, I played in my mothers heels at times, and one instance my cousins even painted my nails but I didn't turn out to be gay. So what's going on now that makes people gay.

My apologizes for sounding like a bigot, but I think I agree with whomever said a new organization should be created that allows for heterosexual and homosexual kids to be together, some parents just don't want their children around that even if the homosexual child isn't going try anything on the heterosexual one. When I do have children, they'll be well-rounded, no doubt about it, but I don't know how I'd feel about them sleeping with a gay kid. But then again, I bet that some of the people I was in Boy Scouts in were gay so would I rather be around a gay person that acknowledges that they're gay or someone in the closest? I'd probably prefer my children around someone who actually says their gay as opposed to in the closest.
So, you think it is right to separate gay kids away from straight kids, as if they are inferior or incapable of congregating with straight kids? Do your realize how immature that sounds. I thought the boys scouts was about good will and learning to be a good citizen and treating others as you would want to be treated. You advocate teaching these young minds that some people do not deserve full equality, to belittle them, to separate them from the whole. Why would a parent want to have their child learn to hate and discriminate, that is not a good quality for a US citizen.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:42 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,090 times
I supported the Boy Scouts for years. I even taught classes on severe storms and lightning to numerous troops. Now they will never even so much as get a good word or a referral from me. Never again.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
I supported the Boy Scouts for years. I even taught classes on severe storms and lightning to numerous troops. Now they will never even so much as get a good word or a referral from me. Never again.
Well, thats good for them, the boys scouts should not be about discrimination or teaching bigotry. The fewer bigots promoting and advancing their hate in anything to do with children is good. Why would we want our next generation to be a bunch of haters unable to integrate into society.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:30 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post

Oh, boo hoo.

Go ahead - take your ball and go home.

For every one of YOU, who will now deny to the BSA whatever little bit of knowledge and experience you think you have to offer, there will probably be ten other adults, with more compassion and empathy in their little fingers than you have in your entire body, and who were resistant to getting involved in an organization that was so exclusive, who will now be more willing step up to the plate because of this change of policy.

And the BSA will be a better organization because of it.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:56 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Oh, boo hoo.

Go ahead - take your ball and go home.

For every one of YOU, who will now deny to the BSA whatever little bit of knowledge and experience you think you have to offer, there will probably be ten other adults, with more compassion and empathy in their little fingers than you have in your entire body, and who were resistant to getting involved in an organization that was so exclusive, who will now be more willing step up to the plate because of this change of policy.

And the BSA will be a better organization because of it.
Would you let your adolescent daughter go camping for a weekend with a grown heterosexual man? If you would, you are an abusive parent. Same goes for any parent who lets their adolescent son go camping with a gay scout leader.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:00 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Would you let your adolescent daughter go camping for a weekend with a grown heterosexual man? If you would, you are an abusive parent. Same goes for any parent who lets their adolescent son go camping with a gay scout leader.
My daughter goes camping with a "grown heterosexual man" all the time, her father, and statistically speaking he poses more real risk to her wellbeing than would an unrelated scout leader.

How is it possible that people understand so little about real risk and statistics. Y'all will fall on a sword over things that are not supported by fact. It's scary.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:01 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
My daughter goes camping with a "grown heterosexual man" all the time, her father, and statistically speaking he poses more real risk to her wellbeing than would an unrelated scout leader.

How is it possible that people understand so little about real risk and statistics. Y'all will fall on a sword over things that are not supported by fact. It's scary.
Immediate family doesn't count. If the grown heterosexual male weren't her father, would you let her spend a weekend in the wilderness with that grown heterosexual male? If you would, you are an abusive parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.