Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2013, 01:21 PM

937 posts, read 1,135,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Two thoughts here: I doubt only White Males are bothered by this ad. My guess is Black women aren't too thrilled either. Cheerios may not remove it but I doubt they'd produce a similar ad again.

The other thought is that political correctness gives folks a false sense that racism has gone away when all it's done is simply moved underground which IMHO is far more dangerous.
Why do you think black women are bothered by the ad? I'm a black woman, and I liked the ad.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:26 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,260,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Here is the commercial:

Just Checking - YouTube
Cute commercial and really cute kid.

And the fact that Cheerios put it out there, at the risk of being criticized, makes me want to go out and buy a box of Cheerios, even though I rarely buy cold cereals.

That said - to be honest, if I hadn't read this thread first, I don't think the fact that it is a mixed race family would have even occurred to me. It certainly wouldn't have been the first thing about the commercial that would have registered - maybe something that I would have thought about later.

The commercial was like so many other thousands of commercials out there that try to use "typical families" to sell their products, the fact that the father is black, the mother white, and the little girl looks to be mixed race would have probably been the last thing I thought about.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Seriously?

Maybe you should check out your own posting history.

Yeah - good luck with that.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
In a nation of 300 million, there would be complaints about anything from someone.

If it had been a white man with a black woman, there would be complaints from black women.

Racism has no color barriers.

If the commercial featured a black woman and white man, I'm willing to wager that there would be lots of positive feed back, primarily from black women.

I'm not sure why so many people believe that most black women hate interracial couples? Where are you getting this from? I've never seen such polling or statistics.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post

The stereotypical "mixed race" couple is an extremely obese white female creature and a crackhead black guy acting like he just won the lottery because he found himself a caucasian cow that no sane white male would want anyways.
Wow.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
the problem is the people who see this as controversial.

this is the norm in 2013. 10 percent of marriages are mixed and that number is growing each year.

this isnt a controversial thing, unless its a white male conservative who cant get any and is jealous.
I'm looking forward to watching the heads explode when the little girl in the Cheerios commercial has two daddies or two mommies. lol

Old 06-01-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I'm waiting for SpecialKKK to come out.
lol

Old 06-01-2013, 01:48 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,786,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Cute commercial and really cute kid.

And the fact that Cheerios put it out there, at the risk of being criticized, makes me want to go out and buy a box of Cheerios, even though I rarely buy cold cereals.

That said - to be honest, if I hadn't read this thread first, I don't think the fact that it is a mixed race family would have even occurred to me. It certainly wouldn't have been the first thing about the commercial that would have registered - maybe something that I would have thought about later.

The commercial was like so many other thousands of commercials out there that try to use "typical families" to sell their products, the fact that the father is black, the mother white, and the little girl looks to be mixed race would have probably been the last thing I thought about.
People see what they want to see. People want to read more than there is in some things.

If not for this thread and I saw that commercial I would think they were promoting their product, not an interracial family. Apparently some people need to slice, dice, chop and pick apart everything trying to find something and when the can't find anything, they make something up.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:49 PM

15,535 posts, read 10,512,774 times
Although I must admit. Here lately I've noticed alot of white men with black women couples. Then again there are people moving to Texas by the millions from all over the country. It's starting to get really crowded here so that might explain that because native texans typically aren't very enthusiastic of black white relationships.

- 30 years living in texas[/quote]

Bull ****, 4th/5th generation Texan here. Most Texans don't care what private citizens do as long as they keep their yard mowed. One of my grandpa's (a huge conservative btw) used to gather evidence and put pond scum hate groups (such as yours) in jail. Wish he was still here.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther Rall View Post
If you don't think marketing is propaganda meant to influence people you are very naive and uninformed.
I believe marketing is a mixture of propaganda and entertainment. But it's also true that there are a number of mixed girls with black dads, who are able to strongly identify with the cereal advert.

Should these families just be ignored by the media and advertisers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies