Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote to end the Drug War?
Yes 102 80.31%
No 20 15.75%
Unsure 5 3.94%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 03:59 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Neither my lovely wife nor I do drugs and a 12 pack of beer typically lasts 6 months or more in our home.

I have two six packs of Heineken in the fridge they been there for over six months but I do like firing up a spliff once a day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 04:02 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
I have two six packs of Heineken in the fridge they been there for over six months but I do like firing up a spliff once a day
Same type of guy myself. Very light drinker. Just enjoy a few hits off the bowl after work sometimes.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:02 PM

23,559 posts, read 17,232,713 times
I'd vote to actually start a war on drugs rather than spend taxpayer money on DARE, posters and platitudes.

Gangs dealing drugs and drug purchasers are the cause of all downstream violence, especially gun violence.

However the electorate and legislators are only capable of passing and approving ineffective laws. Until the electorate wakes up and begins to use new criteria to elect legislative representatives all we will ever have are unimaginative attempts to actually address our problems.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:03 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
show me a link that cocaine use has risen in Portugal all the sites I see say "hard drug use has dropped significantly..

STOP SPREADING BS..
Your links are blogs. I think I have shown you the hard facts three or four times already, and you always come back to ask for it again.

Cardoso, Manuel; Santos, Ana Sofia; Duarte, Óscar (2009). "New Development, Trends and in-depth information on selected issues". - Portugal

http://www.idt.pt/PT/IDT/Documents/P...onalReport.pdf

Reported lifetime use of "all illicit drugs" increased from 7.8% to 12%, lifetime use of cannabis increased from 7.6% to 11.7%, cocaine use more than doubled, from 0.9% to 1.9%, ecstasy nearly doubled from 0.7% to 1.3%, and heroin increased from 0.7% to 1.1%

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 06-01-2013 at 04:17 PM..

Old 06-01-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
I'd vote to actually start a war on drugs rather than spend taxpayer money on DARE, posters and platitudes.

Gangs dealing drugs and drug purchasers are the cause of all downstream violence, especially gun violence.

However the electorate and legislators are only capable of passing and approving ineffective laws. Until the electorate wakes up and begins to use new criteria to elect legislative representatives all we will ever have are unimaginative attempts to actually address our problems.
I agree need to quit playing around, and get serious with the war on drugs. Before we leave Afghanistan, we need to ensure every poppy and cannabis plant is destroyed, and after that we get serious with South American and domestic growers.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:13 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Not in Arizona. Get caught with less than 2lbs and it is a class 6 felony.
Arizona has been perpetually governed by idiots, thats why. Certainly the case in my 47 years here.

Thankfully most of the rest of this country isn't so stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
In times past I would have unequivocally supported legalization of everything from mj to heroin. It's not the business of any nannyist do-gooder in DC what I choose to put in my body. Per John Locke's quote "Every man has a property in his own person" drug prohibition is fundamentally a violation of property rights, a theft.

Now as we move further down the road to socialized health care, I have rethought things. Now the taxpayer is increasingly on the hook for the health consequences of drug use. The whole drug rehab industry seems to be problematic to begin with. If we legalize, use will tend to increase. Now we'll have hordes of rent seekers coming into the picture to work the system as rehab/treatment providers. Medicare fraud has been estimated as high as 20% of outlays. It will be a mess. We'd be trading one mess for another.

I wouldn't support any legalization at this time. If you have a welfare state, you must have a nanny state to go with it.
LMAO...I can't make sense of your post.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:14 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
The only way you're ending the drug war is to legalize everything and sell it cheap enough so that drug lords cannot make a profit. I'm seeing a major downside here.
Drugs would fall under FDA control for quality standards and would have to be manufactured by drug companies. You'd have to stop the underground market completely by undercutting prices but that means the drug companies are going to have a hard time making a profit. You could not allow anyone who wanted to to cook whatever they wanted. The cost of regulating this would be astronomical. You would not end the war on drugs at all. You'd start a new one trying to enforce quality standards and STILL have an underground market.

I don't see legalizing drugs helping much. We'll still be fighting underground drug activity and quality control issues. The drug cartels are not going to give up their business without a fight and they aren't going to submit to FDA regulations nor are they going to pay liability for, say, tainted products. In short, it won't work. It still has to be illegal to have a meth lab because of the dangers of having a meth lab so we still need the narc squad. Only now they'll have to police anyone and everyone growing mj in their basement or back yard and make sure kids aren't getting a hold of drugs...so it will have to remain illegal to grow/make your own.

And then there's the question of health care. Do drug users deserve to drain the health care system?

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 06-01-2013 at 04:22 PM..

Old 06-01-2013, 04:18 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Why not? You'd still have to finance the habit and crime is the junkies preferred way making money.
How many people knocking little old ladies down to feed their $100 a day cigarette habit? None becsue they are cheap. Drugs are expensive only becsue they are illegal, I just looked at a site that quoted $200 per gram for heroin. That gets reduced to a couple bucks and whatever taxes they put on it.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:22 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I agree need to quit playing around, and get serious with the war on drugs. Before we leave Afghanistan, we need to ensure every poppy and cannabis plant is destroyed, and after that we get serious with South American and domestic growers.
...and what would you do about the fact that any person can buy a lethal dose of a drug in any of hundreds of varieties right down at your corner liquor store? Hmmmm? Oh yeah, we tried to outlaw that with Prohibition--and the results were just as stupid, expensive, and counterproductive as the "War on Other Drugs" that you evidently favor.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
How many people knocking little old ladies down to feed their $100 a day cigarette habit? None becsue they are cheap. Drugs are expensive only becsue they are illegal, I just looked at a site that quoted $200 per gram for heroin. That gets reduced to a couple bucks and whatever taxes they put on it.
You think legalization would bring down the price from $200 to a few bucks? LOL. Go buy some legal pot in CO, but be prepared to pay almost $200 per ounce, and a lot more for higher quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies