Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2013, 01:15 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I agree. It has nothing to do with skin color or race unless one thinks that all Europeans are white. I am with you on this. Quotas for legal immigration need to be more equal and diversified and as for family chain migration due to being related to a U.S. citizen that category and number needs to be reduced...
Amusingly no one has been able to answer a simple question I have posed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
How are less Mexicans immigrating qualifying other nationalities to be able to come here?...
Quote:
...What is so terrible about a U.S. citizen marrying a foreign spouse and moving to his/her country instead?
Service to this great country, for one. What is wrong if I am in the U.S. military finishing out my career, and want to have my family in the United States? Do I ditch my ability to retire from that service just to go live in another country?

Quote:
Someone is just making up lies now. An ethnocentric can only be someone who is from the same ethnic group of the majority of immigrants both legal and illegal here and wants the favoritism towards their group to continue and amnesty for the illegal ones so why would I call a non-Hispanic white an ethnocentric? However, there are people who have ties to the Mexican/Hispanic community through marriage, etc. that have become defenders of Mexican/Hispanic illegals and want continued favoritism in our legal immigration quotas for their group and unlimited family connection migration from their group. I have seen this over and over and over.
And the utterly irony here is that my wife is the same skintone of "white" that I am (shades lighter than the "white Hispanic" George Zimmerman). She is pro-2nd Amendment, and will probably go more right politically once she naturalizes. My family has been the absolute example of assimilating to the United States, but I am contending with members here that want to change legal immigration to exclude based on nationality or ethnicity, because "there are too many of them here already".

I've provided details on immigration quotas, whom has them, and who doesn't. The basic facts I've provided, such as that the majority of legal immigration originates from a marriage to a U.S. citizen, are being ignored. We seen this concept of immigration restructuring being framed as "skills", when it has only been stated as exclusions of specific nationalities and/or ethnicities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 02:29 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
Ann is a loud mouthed idiot, but here she is correct. We should encourage European immigration...

Plus that will open doors for the best and brightest who want to come to the US and add to our nation, and other nations in Europe will want to open their borders to Americans.
I agree that we should favor immigrants who will be a benefit to our nation rather than be a burden. However, I am not for excluding certain nationalities either. I am for equality and diversity. Somehow there has to be a balance between immigrants that will benefit our nation and diversity.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:20 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
I don't think the British have much of a motivation to move here. Latin Americans on the other hand, do.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:58 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
There is a provision in US immigration law that deals with giving underrepresented nations diversity visas, which is a lottery that gives out 10's of thousands of green cards.

There is also another program that gives out I think 10,000 visas a year to underrepresented nations.

Ms. Coulter wants a return to how immigration laws used to be before 1965 with quotas on different nationalities.

The Immigration Act of 1924 created a quota system that restricted entry to 2 percent of the total number of people of each nationality in America as of the 1890 national census–a system that favored immigrants from Western Europe–and prohibited immigrants from Asia.

After the war, Congress passed special legislation enabling refugees from Europe and the Soviet Union to enter the United States. Following the communist revolution in Cuba in 1959, hundreds of thousands of refugees from that island nation also gained admittance to the United States

Those immigrations laws were racist and designed to keep certain ethnicities out in favor of Europeans.

I am not surprised that a conservative suggests a return of immigration policy that mimics that kind of discrimination.
Discrimination is good. I discriminated against my hot stove last night, by doing so, I was able to avoid being burned.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I don't think the British have much of a motivation to move here. Latin Americans on the other hand, do.
Yet, they never feel the motivation to flee to another Latin American country instead. They aren't all bad, you know.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:10 PM

I repeat to the clueless one in here:

I agree that we should favor immigrants who will be a benefit to our nation rather than be a burden. However, I am not for excluding certain nationalities either. I am for equality and diversity. Somehow there has to be a balance between immigrants that will benefit our nation and diversity.

Living in the past serves no purpose as we don't discriminate today so what is the point of whining over the past? So Coulter has her opinion of how immigration should be today that favors European immigrants. Can some say in here that they aren't in favor continued quotas that favor Mexicans? Or that they think that the millions of Mexicans here illegally (yes they are by far the largest group) should be given amnesty? Pot, kettle, black.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:49 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,833 times
Quote:

I agree that we should favor immigrants who will be a benefit to our nation rather than be a burden. However, I am not for excluding certain nationalities either. I am for equality and diversity. Somehow there has to be a balance between immigrants that will benefit our nation and diversity...
And yet no one has answered my question yet...

Quote:
...Living in the past serves no purpose as we don't discriminate today so what is the point of whining over the past?...
How can you state that there is no discrimination happening now?...

Quote:
...So Coulter has her opinion of how immigration should be today that favors European immigrants. Can some say in here that they aren't in favor continued quotas that favor Mexicans?...
You're calling me "clueless", but I've been over this concept again and again with you. Mexicans aren't "favored" by quotas over other nationalities. "Immediate Relatives" of U.S. citizens have no quotas. It's just that more U.S. citizens are married to Mexicans than people from other countries.

Quote:
...Or that they think that the millions of Mexicans here illegally (yes they are by far the largest group) should be given amnesty? Pot, kettle, black.
Answer the question, we are discussing legal immigration here...

Old 08-15-2013, 11:00 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Just one more reason I will never listen to Ann Coulter. Nothing she says would ever benefit me.
No doubt nothing you say could ever benefit her either.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:50 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Quote:

The balance there should be 100% immigrants who will be a benefit and 0% diversity.

We will already get diversity because there are immigrants of all different shapes and sizes who will be a benefit. There are doctors in India, scientists in South America, business analysts in Asia, and computer programmers in Africa.

We should accept the best from anywhere, and accept diverse people for diversity's sake from nowhere. We already have enough dead weight native born people. We don't need to import more just because their skin is an exotic color.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:55 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
Me thinks the only British immigrants we would get are the ones who want to retire in Florida. L
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies