Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2013, 09:02 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
At Columbia? Who?

Reread what Professor Henry Graff said.
So let's start with what the University itself says:

Obama's Years at Columbia Are a Mystery - The New York Sun

Quote:
An article in a Columbia University publication, Columbia College Today, reported that Mr. Obama has portrayed Columbia as a period of buckling down following a troubled adolescence. He did not socialize much, he has said, instead spending a lot of time in the library, "like a monk." He has also stated that he was involved to some extent with the Black Students Organization.
Federal law limits the information that Columbia can release about Mr. Obama's time there. A spokesman for the university, Brian Connolly, confirmed that Mr. Obama spent two years at Columbia College and graduated in 1983 with a major in political science. He did not receive honors, Mr. Connolly said, though specific information on his grades is sealed. A program from the 1983 graduation ceremony lists him as a graduate.
Did Obama ‘miss’ 1 year of Columbia classes?

Quote:
School spokesman Robert Hornsby told WND that federal law limits the release of information about a student, but he could confirm that "Barack Obama applied for and was granted admission to Columbia College as a transfer student in 1981. He enrolled for the fall term of that year as a political science major. With the conclusion of the spring semester of 1983, Obama completed the requirements for a Bachelor of Arts degree in political science and graduated with his class."
Barack Obama '83 Becomes First College Alumnus To Win Presidency | Columbia College

Quote:
Barack Obama ‘83 became the first College alumnus to be elected President of the United States. On November 4, Obama defeated his Republican challenger, Sen. John McCain P’07, ending a marathon campaign that saw Obama rise from a first-term senator to the nation’s first African-American president.
Obama, who was profiled in Columbia College Today in January 2005 when he burst upon the national political scene, transferred to Columbia from Occidental prior to his junior year.
In one of their few joint appearances, the candidates were interviewed in Roone Arledge Auditorium on September 11 at the Service Nation Presidential Candidates Forum.
This year’s Presidential election had four candidates with strong College ties on the ballot. In addition to Obama being an alumnus, McCain’s daughter, Meghan, is a 2007 College alumna; Wayne Allyn Root ‘83 was the Libertarian Party Vice-Presidential nominee running with Bob Barr; and Matt Gonzalez ‘87 ran as an independent candidate on the same ticket as Ralph Nader.

Columbia College Today

Quote:
Barack Obama ’83, Illinois state senator for the 13th district on Chicago’s South Side, won the Democratic primary for the U.S. Senate over six rivals on March 16. He will oppose Republican Jack Ryan in the general election in November for a Senate seat being vacated by Peter Fitzgerald, a Republican who is retiring after one term. Obama received 55 percent of the vote in the Democratic Primary. His nearest opponent, state Comptroller Dan Hynes, drew 23 percent.
“I think it’s fair to say the conventional wisdom was we could not win,” Obama told his cheering supporters following the primary victory. “We didn’t have enough money. We didn’t have enough organization. There was no way that a skinny guy from the South Side with a funny name like Barack Obama could ever win a statewide race. Sixteen months later, we are here.”
Obama, 42, was a political science major at the College and went on to Harvard Law School, where he was the first African-American president of the Harvard Law Review. He is a civil rights attorney specializing in employment discrimination, fair housing and voting rights legislation and teaches civil rights law and other subjects at the University of Chicago.
If he wins in November, Obama would become the only African-American in the U.S. Senate and only the third black U.S. Senator since Reconstruction.
Columbia College Today

[QUOTE]Barack Obama ’83 -- The New Face of the Democratic Party? (Cover Story) Obama says he was still goofing off for the first two years of college, which he spent at Occidental in Los Angeles. He continued to play basketball, which friends say he is still quite good at, and was involved in other organized activities. He also spent “a lot of time having fun.”

He changed course junior year when he transferred to Columbia. “I realized I wanted to be in a more vibrant, urban environment,” he says. As a transfer student, he didn’t receive housing, so lived off campus in various makeshift arrangements, such as living in one bedroom of a three-bedroom apartment, and renting a sixth-floor walk-up with slanting floors on the East Side, “just north of gentrification,” as he describes it.

As he pursued a political science degree, specializing in international relations, Obama says he was somewhat involved with the Black Students Organization and participated in anti-apartheid activities. “Mostly, my years at Columbia were an intense period of study,” he says. “When I transferred, I decided to buckle down and get serious. I spent a lot of time in the library. I didn’t socialize that much. I was like a monk.”
[/quote]

Columbia News Announcement

Quote:
Barack Obama, CC'83, First Columbia Graduate Elected President of the United States
Barack Obama (CC'83) becomes the first Columbia graduate elected president of the United States.
"We note with pride that Barack Obama will not only be the nation's first African American president, he will also be the first Columbia graduate to occupy the Oval Office," Columbia president Lee C. Bollinger said.
Obama attended Columbia College from 1981 to 1983, after transferring in his junior year from Occidental College.

Then you have physical evidence -, an article he wrote for The Sundial, scans of his directory entries and Columbia's graduation program.

And then you have direct statements from people who did know him or remember him.

Phil Boerner
Sohale Sidiqqi
Michael J. Wolf
Cathie M. Currie

Jim Davidson
Jonathan Zimmerman
Dr. Lennard Davis
Dr. Michael Baron

Old 06-07-2013, 09:27 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Help me out here. Is this just to reflect some angry teacher or is there more behind this. I mean is he rumored to have been doing something else that would help the birther claims? Is it thought that he didn't graduate any 4 year school or was he in college in Kenya?

Is the Sundial article fake? Is Michael L. Baron a plant? What is his roll in the coverup which would also roll in to fraud against Harvard?

I'm asking because I don't know.
All we know is what Columbia Professor Henry Graff said...
Quote:
"Graff said, “I taught at Columbia for 46 years. I taught every significant American politician that ever studied at Columbia. I know them all. I’m proud of them all. Between American History and Diplomatic History, one way or another, they all had to come through my classes. Not Obama. I never had a student with that name in any of my classes. I never met him, never saw him, never heard of him.” Even more importantly, Professor Graff knew the other history and political science professors. “None of the other Columbia professors knew him either” said Graff.
Graff concluded our interview by saying, “I’m very upset by the whole story. I am angry when I hear Obama called ‘the first President of the United States from Columbia University.’ I don’t consider him a Columbia student. I have no idea what he did on the Columbia campus. No one knows him.”

Legendary Columbia Professor Never Heard of Obama

Henry Graff | Encyclopaedia Britannica

Old 06-07-2013, 09:53 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,765,861 times
Quote:
All we know is what Columbia Professor Henry Graff said...Legendary Columbia Professor Never Heard of Obama

Baron wrote Obama's recommendation to Harvard unless that isn't true either. If it's a lie it's fraud. If it isn't a lie and the letter was used for admission then it's a fraud.

So the discussion is just because of one professor's comments? I'm just wondering where the beef is.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:08 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Baron wrote Obama's recommendation to Harvard unless that isn't true either. If it's a lie it's fraud. If it isn't a lie and the letter was used for admission then it's a fraud.

So the discussion is just because of one professor's comments? I'm just wondering where the beef is.
All we have to go on is what Columbia Professor Henry Graff said...
Quote:
"Graff said, “I taught at Columbia for 46 years. I taught every significant American politician that ever studied at Columbia. I know them all. I’m proud of them all. Between American History and Diplomatic History, one way or another, they all had to come through my classes. Not Obama. I never had a student with that name in any of my classes. I never met him, never saw him, never heard of him.” Even more importantly, Professor Graff knew the other history and political science professors. “None of the other Columbia professors knew him either” said Graff.
Graff concluded our interview by saying, “I’m very upset by the whole story. I am angry when I hear Obama called ‘the first President of the United States from Columbia University.’ I don’t consider him a Columbia student. I have no idea what he did on the Columbia campus. No one knows him.”

Legendary Columbia Professor Never Heard of Obama

Perhaps Obama actually attended the Columbia School of Broadcasting. He seems to be skilled at reading a teleprompter.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:33 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,385,313 times
Quote:

Sure you're not looking for horse meat?

Old 06-07-2013, 10:51 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,693 times
Quote:
All we have to go on is what Columbia Professor Henry Graff said
Oh we have plenty more to go on than that. We have everything I laid out in the post above. from multiple people as well as the university itself citing Obama's attendance. No response to that? As for Graff, considering he teaches American History which is a freshman survey class, it's a fair bet Obama would have gotten that course out of the way during his time at Occidental.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:04 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,193,007 times
Quote:
All we have to go on is what Columbia Professor Henry Graff said...Legendary Columbia Professor Never Heard of Obama

Perhaps Obama actually attended the Columbia School of Broadcasting. He seems to be skilled at reading a teleprompter.
My daughter attends a high school with around 3,000 students. She is a member of the band, the choir, the photography club, the honors society, and the Spanish club. She is by no means a quiet or shy child.

I recently met the head of the English department for her school at a social gathering. I asked her if she knew or knew of my daughter. She has never met her or heard her name. Obviously, in a school with more than a handful of students this is not only possible, but extremely likely.

I don't know how many students there are at Columbia, but it is absurd to think that a student did not attend a school because one teacher/professor has never heard of him/her.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:05 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,272,509 times
Quote:
All we have to go on is what Columbia Professor Henry Graff said...Legendary Columbia Professor Never Heard of Obama
If Obama never took any his classes, in a school that had over 16,000 students, why would a Professor know who Obama was?

that's like my professor for Psychology in my college would say they never heard of me, despite me attending the school (a school of 8000 students) for 4 years; seeing as I never majored in Psychology and would have never taken any of the classes taught by him.

Quote:
Columbia had over 300 teachers/professors/aides and staff. I'm sure that a student would not take classes from a majority of them.

Oh and you are caught in another birther lie:

Obama's Years at Columbia Are a Mystery - The New York Sun

Quote:
A spokesman for the university, Brian Connolly, confirmed that Mr. Obama spent two years at Columbia College and graduated in 1983 with a major in political science. He did not receive honors, Mr. Connolly said, though specific information on his grades is sealed. A program from the 1983 graduation ceremony lists him as a graduate.
Did Obama ‘miss’ 1 year of Columbia classes? <--- note a prolific birther site.

Quote:
School spokesman Robert Hornsby told WND that federal law limits the release of information about a student, but he could confirm that "Barack Obama applied for and was granted admission to Columbia College as a transfer student in 1981. He enrolled for the fall term of that year as a political science major. With the conclusion of the spring semester of 1983, Obama completed the requirements for a Bachelor of Arts degree in political science and graduated with his class."
Barack Obama '83 Becomes First College Alumnus To Win Presidency | Columbia College

Quote:

Barack Obama '83 became the first College alumnus to be elected President of the United States. On November 4, Obama defeated his Republican challenger, Sen. John McCain P'07, ending a marathon campaign that saw Obama rise from a first-term senator to the nation's first African-American president.

Obama, who was profiled in Columbia College Today in January 2005 when he burst upon the national political scene, transferred to Columbia from Occidental prior to his junior year.
http://www.columbiaspectator.com/200...d-us-president

Quote:
The presidential race that captivated the country for months held a special resonance on campus, as Barack Obama, CC ’83, became not only the first black person to win the office, but also the first Columbia College alumnus to do so.
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/...aFall1990a.jpg

Quote:
The election of Barack Obama ’83 last February as the first black president of the Harvard Law Review commanded wide attention in the press. However, he emphasized to a reporter, “It is important that stories like mine are not used to say that everything is OK for blacks. You have to remember that for every one of me, there are hundreds or thousands of black students with at least equal talent who don’t get a chance.” Mr. Obama spent four years after college heading a community development program on Chicago’s South Side before enrolling in Law School. Born in Hawaii -- his late father, Barack Obama Sr. was a Kenyan finance minister and his mother Ann Dunham, is an American anthropologist -- Mr. Obama was largely raised in Los Angeles and Indonesia. In interviews with the Harvard Law Record, law review members said it was Mr. Obama’s combination of “"outstanding legal scholarship and experience as a community organizer, in addition to his inclusive leadership style, that distinguished him from the field of candidates” for the editorship, to which he must devote about 60 hours a week.
Columbia College Today

Quote:
Barack Obama ’83, Illinois state senator for the 13th district on Chicago’s South Side, won the Democratic primary for the U.S. Senate over six rivals on March 16. He will oppose Republican Jack Ryan in the general election in November for a Senate seat being vacated by Peter Fitzgerald, a Republican who is retiring after one term.

Obama received 55 percent of the vote in the Democratic Primary. His nearest opponent, state Comptroller Dan Hynes, drew 23 percent.

“I think it’s fair to say the conventional wisdom was we could not win,” Obama told his cheering supporters following the primary victory. “We didn’t have enough money. We didn’t have enough organization. There was no way that a skinny guy from the South Side with a funny name like Barack Obama could ever win a statewide race. Sixteen months later, we are here.”

Obama, 42, was a political science major at the College and went on to Harvard Law School, where he was the first African-American president of the Harvard Law Review. He is a civil rights attorney specializing in employment discrimination, fair housing and voting rights legislation and teaches civil rights law and other subjects at the University of Chicago.

If he wins in November, Obama would become the only African-American in the U.S. Senate and only the third black U.S. Senator since Reconstruction.
Columbia College Today

Quote:

Barack Obama ’83 -- The New Face of the Democratic Party? (Cover Story)

Obama says he was still goofing off for the first two years of college, which he spent at Occidental in Los Angeles. He continued to play basketball, which friends say he is still quite good at, and was involved in other organized activities. He also spent “a lot of time having fun.”

He changed course junior year when he transferred to Columbia. “I realized I wanted to be in a more vibrant, urban environment,” he says. As a transfer student, he didn’t receive housing, so lived off campus in various makeshift arrangements, such as living in one bedroom of a three-bedroom apartment, and renting a sixth-floor walk-up with slanting floors on the East Side, “just north of gentrification,” as he describes it.

As he pursued a political science degree, specializing in international relations, Obama says he was somewhat involved with the Black Students Organization and participated in anti-apartheid activities. “Mostly, my years at Columbia were an intense period of study,” he says. “When I transferred, I decided to buckle down and get serious. I spent a lot of time in the library. I didn’t socialize that much. I was like a monk.”
Columbia News Announcement

Quote:

Barack Obama, CC'83, First Columbia Graduate Elected President of the United States

Barack Obama (CC'83) becomes the first Columbia graduate elected president of the United States.

"We note with pride that Barack Obama will not only be the nation's first African American president, he will also be the first Columbia graduate to occupy the Oval Office," Columbia president Lee C. Bollinger said.

Obama attended Columbia College from 1981 to 1983, after transferring in his junior year from Occidental College.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
All we know is what Columbia Professor Henry Graff said...Legendary Columbia Professor Never Heard of Obama

That is most certainly NOT "all we know". We know all the information in the post above yours, information from official Columbia sources, not some azz-hat prof!

Old 06-07-2013, 11:31 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,765,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
Sure you're not looking for horse meat?
I don't know enough. I know that the idea of a forged birth certificate is he isn't really president, but what's Columbia have to do with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies