Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 10:26 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,202,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Same with tattoos and rings through the nose, there might not be actual rules "on the books" and officially, but to function at an optimum in society and do well, whether one is here or in Europe, or what have you, one must learn the rules of society for performing at an optimum. Parents are supposed to be there to teach kids those rules, since kids are born knowing nothing, and that applies whether the parents are gay, straight, bi or whatever.
There is no societal rule banning men from wearing makeup. At different points in civilization men have worn makeup. Men today wear makeup.
There is an entire industry marketing makeup directly to men. In fact it is the fastest growing demographic in the cosmetics industry.
Quote:
She reports that American consumers spent over $5 billion on men's grooming products in 2012, more than twice what they spent in 1997.
Men aren't just buying shower gels and shaving cream, either. Men's makeup is also on the rise.
We can thank savvy marketers, in part. Advertisements rarely describe men's cosmetics the same way they do women's: Eyebrow pencils are "brow and beard correctors." Foundation is now a "sculpting face stick" or "urban camouflage." And concealer — one of the most popular products — is a "confidence corrector."
Makeup For Men Is No Longer Taboo - Business Insider

Makeup for Men is On The Rise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 10:27 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,776 times
Oh...business insider says it's no longer taboo... OK everybody...accept it.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:28 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,394 times
If they knew the rules, allowing this to happen is the fault of the parents. It's too bad the child has to suffer for his parent's lack of parenting.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:33 AM

13,414 posts, read 9,947,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Isn't transitioning into the "real world" and the workplace part of what school is about?? Aren't you there to learn these things? At the very least for them to be reinforced because this is what parents are to be instilling in their children as well?

Or did somebody forget to tell me that you were there to just pretend like you were learning and to act like a knuckle dragging heathen?
Good lawd, not all "real worlds" are stuffy institutions.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:34 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,731,683 times
Quote:
A responsible parent wouldn't have let their kid walk out like that no matter WHAT the kid wanted to do...because they would know, point blank, they were sending them right to the sharks.

So they clearly were sending him out with total disregard to social norms... and what do you think their answer would be if you advised them of their actions?

EDIT: at the very least.. I'd say to my son "look, you know you're probably going to get tortured, right?"... I doubt they said this. But hey, you never know. My sons would have been knocked upside their head walking out like that, period.
That's true. For ex., my sister looks over her kids before they go out to make sure they're not looking stupid, ridiculous, inappropriate, overly-sexualized, etc.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:34 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
If they knew the rules, allowing this to happen is the fault of the parents. It's too bad the child has to suffer for his parent's lack of parenting.
another person who didn't read the thread.

There is NO specific rule in the DRESS CODE (as linked to in this very thread) addressing Make-up (on both girls and boys).

so, there is NO RULE that the parents or the boy violated.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Good lawd, not all "real worlds" are stuffy institutions.
You're right...but there is no more room for "starving artists" and free spirit types. Those subscriptions got us to the point we are at right now.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
That's true. For ex., my sister looks over her kids before they go out to make sure they're not looking stupid, ridiculous, inappropriate, overly-sexualized, etc.
That's great. Is that for their sake or hers?

Old 06-11-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
You're right...but there is no more room for "starving artists" and free spirit types. Those subscriptions got us to the point we are at right now.
Yeah, the artists I work with are not starving. Not by a long shot.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Yeah, the artists I work with are not starving. Not by a long shot.
For every one that isn't...there are 10,000 that are. These are numbers pulled out my butthole...but I'd wager that I'm far off...and I mean undershot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies