Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 04:35 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,273,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You think that because you have probably never tried to maintain discipline on that last day of school. More kids are sent home the last three days of school than in the first two or three months of school. It is a nightmare and no, you absolutely can't be lax about things that clearly violate rules, to include dress codes, because that just encourages further testing of the rules. This is especially true of middle school students, and particularly true of 8th graders, who think they have nothing to lose because they are changing schools.
When I went to school kids always got away with more on the last day of school. There isn't any type of lessons going on that day anyway.

Quote:
And I don't doubt at all this is true:
There might be more to the story but this is the standard answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 05:48 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,229,657 times
Quote:
You think that because you have probably never tried to maintain discipline on that last day of school. More kids are sent home the last three days of school than in the first two or three months of school. It is a nightmare and no, you absolutely can't be lax about things that clearly violate rules, to include dress codes, because that just encourages further testing of the rules. This is especially true of middle school students, and particularly true of 8th graders, who think they have nothing to lose because they are changing schools.

And I don't doubt at all this is true:
However there is nothing in the dress code about make up for males or females. So, it isn't clear that he was violating any rules.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:49 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,229,657 times
Quote:
It is because some kid currently in the 7th grade will try to top it the next year. It is because the kids spend the last day testing all the rules they can think of, and the more they get away with, the more they try, and that is a very visible breaking of the rules. I encourage you to spend the last day of school one year at your local middle school, it isn't pretty and it really is an exercise in maintaining chaos. Every teacher I know hates the last days of school because it is a zoo and you are responsible for maintaining discipline.
Can you show me where in the dress code it is against the rules for a boy to wear makeup?

Old 06-11-2013, 06:24 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,917,798 times
They should have let the kid wear makeup and get beat senseless by the kids in school....

Old 06-11-2013, 07:35 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,689,817 times
The only time a man should wear makeup is when he is on stage on on television. Yes I do believe that outside of the reasons I just stated the school's policy should be makeup is for girls ONLY. The child is obviously confused by the messages he gets at home. If the kid then gets the s**t kicked out of him at school because of it then they are the first ones that want an arrest made and "Hate Crime" charges be filed. Or if the kid gets teased and decides to kill himself I guess everyone else can be charged with bullying as well. I also believe the school is at fault for not stating directly in the student handbook that basic or minimal makeup is allowed to be worn by GIRLS ONLY. Putting that in writing from the start would have saved this whole episode from ever happening.

Last edited by SKP440; 06-11-2013 at 07:48 AM..

Old 06-11-2013, 09:24 AM

1,466 posts, read 1,230,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Sounds like a slightly creepy family...I wonder if the kid would be into make up if he were being raised by a common carpenter who was married to a rural school teacher? The luxury of being a freak...only in a first world nation where people have first world problems - that consist of some geek wearing makeup and standing up for his so-called human rights- JUST DAMNED SILLY!
Yes, but it's also a first world problem to complain about people looking different from you...

It's subjective either way, and when that's the case, isn't it better to rule on the side of more freedom vs less?

Old 06-11-2013, 09:30 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,277,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
The only time a man should wear makeup is when he is on stage on on television.
Says who? You? And you are "President" over all things that a man can do?

Then I call for a recall.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:31 AM

1,466 posts, read 1,230,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Liberals are great for double standards. Everyone else is supposed to be "tolerant" of whatever bizarre behavior they want to do, but do whatever they can to ban anything they don't like. Hypocrites.
What do we want to ban exactly? Guns? Most liberals don't want to ban guns. They just want more regulation.

And let us not forget that makeup on a boy isn't going to kill anyone, but a gun can. This coming from someone who could care less about more or less gun control.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:32 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,740,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
He's a kid, he is not a lawyer.
Kids are not human and should not be taught human rules and codes?

Old 06-11-2013, 09:33 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,318,271 times
What is a 14 year-old doing wearing makeup to school anyway? Every school I ever attended, makeup for females was not allowed. Some girls got away with light powder and mascara, but I never wore anything other than chapstick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies