Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 06:49 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,960,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by archon445 View Post
You're just a racist who supports laws like Affirmitive Action because it discriminates against white people.
Your just a racist who supports abolishing Affirmative Action because it helps minorities and white women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 06:53 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,960,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereCanBeOnly1 View Post
That is because you are not able to see anything that isn't racism. Being taught to excuse all of your failings due to racism as way to cope with a lack of skills, which leads to vote buying and power.

Again, on its face if you said we have way too many blacks/women in government and we had to hire white men regardless of merit it would be the biggest news in 30 years and would be immediately met with fervor and racism allegations.

Racism is affirmative action, affirmative action is racism.

That has to be one pathetic life to know you are only hired because you are a useful idiot to a political apparatus.

Why do people totally ignorant of Affirmative Action always trot out this lie???
Poster please point to the Affirmative Action statute that dismisses the ability to do the job in favor of hiring white women and minorities??

Old 06-12-2013, 07:00 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,115,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereCanBeOnly1 View Post
Pretty simple Eddie, the company is free to make a decision however they may. If they hired an HR recruiter that is simply hiring friends without regard to their merits then he will render the company at a disadvantage to there competition. This will be noticed, because human capital is typically the most vital part of any business and will directly impact financial, operations, etc.

So, my take is they are 100% within their rights to hire anyone for any reason (profound logic) considering they are a private company.

Do I agree with the practice personally? It depends on the deviation of the candidates talent. There is something to be said for a "friend" because what you are also not taking into account is how that person will act, work as a team, treat over/underlings, customers, clients.

If your connected friend has the credentials within reason, and the other candidates have an unknown track record I see this hiring practice as 100% ethical, acceptable and intelligent.

If you are saying they hire a bleach, blonde bimbo with giant breasts solely on looks as an Accountant then I would say the company will suffer the competitive fallout from this moronic decision which will 'punish' them for their actions.

Either way, AA is immoral. Again, if you cannot recognize the heinous nature of AA and use that as your crutch I truly know this country has fully purged all merit from society.
In other words, you support candidates getting a job over better qualified candidates when you're okay with it. All you've done is try to put a rational spin on the very thing that AA aims to balance out. If you were truly against AA, then the core reasoning behind it would apply to referral hires. You have selective outrage my friend.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:03 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I'm against affirmative action. Programs should be designed to help those with economic challenges, not skin color.
But the reason a lot of people face such seriously economic problems is because of racial discrimination--i.e. because of skin color.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:14 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,913,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
What are you asking for? Proof that there are selective admission standards that disproportionately benefit Whites?
Yes...based on race.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:43 AM

164 posts, read 197,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Why do people totally ignorant of Affirmative Action always trot out this lie???
Poster please point to the Affirmative Action statute that dismisses the ability to do the job in favor of hiring white women and minorities??
Affirmative action (known as positive discrimination in the United Kingdom, and as employment equity in Canada and elsewhere) refers to policies that take factors including "race, color, religion, sex, or national origin"[1] into consideration in order to benefit an underrepresented group "in areas of employment, education, and business

Help me help you.

Reading is fundamental!

"Peter, we are looking for a solid Accountant to add to the team. I am now considering your race, color, religion, sex and national origin and using it to find the best person at netting credits with debits."

Makes 100% complete sense!

Old 06-12-2013, 07:52 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
Why would I be limiting this conversation to just the top schools in the country?
...are you not following this conversation? You brought up top schools, not me. You can't bring up ivy league schools and then ask why I respond with quotes about top schools.

Quote:
You don't believe that. If you did, you'd be complaining about all the 3.0 - 2.0 gpa students that get into schools over kids with better grades. If you believed this, you'd be dumbfounded that IVY leagues aren't only filled w/ kids who scored in 99% in grades & standardized tests. But b/c to call this out would also call out all the WHITE KIDS that get in over Asians, and all the White males that get in over White females.
How are you comfortable with the fact that unqualified students are accepted over students who are more qualified? Supporting AA does nothing but make you a racist.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:56 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Poll: Most oppose race-based college admissions programs - The Washington Post

Old 06-12-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Yes...based on race.
Would you agree that school faculties and alumni that are historically and currently over-represented by White people benefit White people for legacy, donor, and fac-brats admissions?

How about anti-Asian discrimination which benefits White applicants more than any other group?

Legacy Admissions Favor Wealth Over Merit - Room for Debate - NYTimes.com
Statistics Indicate an Ivy League Asian Quota - Room for Debate - NYTimes.com

How about the forced gender split in classes? Black & Hispanic women are overrepresented, so to maintain a 50/50 gender split for classes, which group of males needs to be overrepresented to reach that balance?

http://www.fed-soc.org/doclib/201112...Engage12.3.pdf

Old 06-12-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
...are you not following this conversation? You brought up top schools, not me. You can't bring up ivy league schools and then ask why I respond with quotes about top schools.
I brought up the Ivy argument as a separate point b/c both those points apply. Kids get into tough state schools w/ 2.0 gpa over higher scoring kids. Ivy Leagues are also not just filled by the 99th percentile. So, no. I wasn't limiting my scope to just top schools.

Quote:
How are you comfortable with the fact that unqualified students are accepted over students who are more qualified? Supporting AA does nothing but make you a racist.
And what does supporting the preferential standards that benefit Whites make you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies