Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 07:43 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,142,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Ahh, isnt that sweet, you pay children to work part time for you, and then pretend you're better than others who you whine about non stop because they have employees to make money..
Let the hate consume you pghquest. Let the hate consume you.

I'll keep doing what I can to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Good catch. The math is right, but the calculation was wrong.

($8.81*40*52)/12 = $1527.07

The problem with using ($281.92*4) is that there are 52 weeks in a year and that calculation gives us 48 weeks.
I gotcha.

I'm just proud that you actually broke it down. Shows that you actually care.

I'm a young guy and have many friends right at or above minimum wage. They're not able to get on their own 2 feet financially. The thing I've learned with a budget is you always have to calculate unexpected expenses. That pay rate doesn't allow any room for (flat tires, clothes wearing out, injuries or illnesses, etc etc).

I just want people in this country to become Economically independent again. The prices along with wages do not allow that for a lot of Americans.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:52 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,186,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Let the hate consume you pghquest. Let the hate consume you.

I'll keep doing what I can to help.
You're the one out protesting people doing the very thing you are doing, and you think I"m the one who hates

Last edited by pghquest; 06-27-2013 at 08:06 AM..

Old 06-27-2013, 07:57 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,276,186 times
Quote:
I gotcha.

I'm just proud that you actually broke it down. Shows that you actually care.

I'm a young guy and have many friends right at or above minimum wage. They're not able to get on their own 2 feet financially. The thing I've learned with a budget is you always have to calculate unexpected expenses. That pay rate doesn't allow any room for (flat tires, clothes wearing out, injuries or illnesses, etc etc).

I just want people in this country to become Economically independent again. The prices along with wages do not allow that for a lot of Americans.
The best way to do that is to make it easy for small businesses to compete and right now it's hard for them to do so. We are talking about WMT though, Costco starts off at $12 and Sam's club starts off at $9 or $10. Truck driving school is 6 weeks and pays considerably more than min wage. Plumbers start off between $30 and $50K.

If they aren't wanting to get training or go to school then they need to find a way to move to a different country, the USA doesn't benefit poor people.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:58 AM

78,547 posts, read 60,749,385 times
Quote:
California to Wal-Mart: Pay Better and Stop Forcing Taxpayers to Subsidize Your Profits

"Accurate and timely data on Wal-Mart’s wage and employment practices is not always readily available. However, occasional releases of demographic data from public assistance programs can provide useful windows into the scope of taxpayer subsidization of Wal-Mart. After analyzing data released by Wisconsin’s Medicaid program, the Democratic staff of the U.S. House Committee on Education and the Workforce estimates that a single 300- person Wal-Mart Supercenter store in Wisconsin likely costs taxpayers at least $904,542 per year and could cost taxpayers up to $1,744,590 per year – about $5,815 per employee."
The irony here being that California is awash in illegal immigrants because no one wants to alienate the growing hispanic vote and the increased public assistance dollars to house and feed them has added billions to californias budget and taxpayers.

Walmart is using the same loophole at a fraction of the size of the illegal immigration issue.

But Walmart is a poltiically acceptable target....while the other group is a desired voting demographic. lol.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
The best way to do that is to make it easy for small businesses to compete and right now it's hard for them to do so. We are talking about WMT though, Costco starts off at $12 and Sam's club starts off at $9 or $10. Truck driving school is 6 weeks and pays considerably more than min wage. Plumbers start off between $30 and $50K.

If they aren't wanting to get training or go to school then they need to find a way to move to a different country, the USA doesn't benefit poor people.
I agree with you about small businesses. It's very tough to start up these days because of the lack of funds available. I went the private investor route after my credit took a hit from my 1st venture.

I know that there are better jobs out there, but there's also a limited job supply. There's not enough jobs in the 1st place to employ everyone in this country. For the jobs that are available, many don't pay enough to support someone financially anymore.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The irony here being that California is awash in illegal immigrants because no one wants to alienate the growing hispanic vote and the increased public assistance dollars to house and feed them has added billions to californias budget and taxpayers.

Walmart is using the same loophole at a fraction of the size of the illegal immigration issue.

But Walmart is a poltiically acceptable target....while the other group is a desired voting demographic. lol.
I agree with you that that is an issue as well. Especially in that part of the country.

I believe we just have to address them separately though. Honestly there's so many issues and things going wrong in this country its dizzying. Some social issues are being addressed but the biggest issue, our Economy, still hasn't.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:06 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,186,917 times
Quote:
I agree with you that that is an issue as well. Especially in that part of the country.

I believe we just have to address them separately though. Honestly there's so many issues and things going wrong in this country its dizzying. Some social issues are being addressed but the biggest issue, our Economy, still hasn't.
You cant address them separately, without the illegal aliens being brough into the country, there would be more jobs for the legal which would leave less people on unemployment and pressure to pay more.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:13 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,276,186 times
Quote:
I agree with you about small businesses. It's very tough to start up these days because of the lack of funds available. I went the private investor route after my credit took a hit from my 1st venture.

I know that there are better jobs out there, but there's also a limited job supply. There's not enough jobs in the 1st place to employ everyone in this country. For the jobs that are available, many don't pay enough to support someone financially anymore.
True, but Americans and other westerners have the most opportunity available. Tradies in Australia make $$$$, actually, if I wanted to go into the trades I would move to Australia. Plus, we can move to practically any country in the world to set up shop. Whether we like it or not, we have to compete on a global scale now and Americans in low skilled jobs have to compete with immigrants, their families, and other poor Americans (whom tend to have more kids than the wealthy).

Raising the min wage doesn't fix this. If a wage is too low then nobody will take the job.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:21 AM

32,820 posts, read 19,516,343 times
Quote:

exactly

only unskilled should be working at min wage

I have never worked at min wage....

even my very first job (at white castle) paid more than min wage...and that way over 35 years ago

finished HS in the late seventies, and had a job at a chevy dealership...a 'new car prep' to start...starting salarie in 1979....$9/hr...then worked my way up to class C mechanic..to class B mechanic..to class A mechanic, to shop foreman.. to maintence supervisor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies