Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 09:55 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,349,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I know some local jurisdictions charge a separate trash pick-up fee. However other jurisdictions include that as part of property taxes or other local tax revenue.

Which brings up this.......my parents live in a neighborhood with a homeowners association that hires their own people to do garbage collections, so county services are not utilized. Likewise I know people who live in gated communities with their own swimming pools yet have to pay taxes toward supporting county pools since that county has public county-run pools. Now not all counties here in Maryland have that. I live in Baltimore County which doesn't have public county pools, and I'm perfectly fine with that since I personally live in a gated community now with a pool (though I'll be moving to West Virginia this summer). And if they want to use tax money to fund construction of a public pool hypothetically I would be against it, same with using tax money to fund more parks. Also if its a gated community with private security, then the residents use less police protection.

I know some counties have lower taxes and separate fees for things like garbage collection to make it more fair for people living in gated communities, homeowners associations, apartment complexes etc that do not use local government services. But if you live in such a community but your county still charges you the same tax rate, do you think that is a problem? Shouldn't there be federal or state tax exemption or deductions for people in this situation??? I HAVE also heard along the same lines that people whose children go to private schools should get exemptions since they are not utilizing public schools?

If it can be differentiated I think fees are better than taxes since the people who use services pay for it. Similarly I would rather have less taxes to toward state and national parks and have these parks charge higher entrance fees instead so the people using the parks are paying for them.

Now in case any liberals point anything out.....gas taxes are NOT a user fee since a lot of them go toward subsidizing public transportation in the cities.
When taxpayers who send their kids to private schools get their tax dollars back, come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 09:55 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
Yes I pay for the roads and you should only pay for schools if and when you have kids in them
I suppose you don't want illiterates and people who can't count providing your goods and services. An educated populace serves the entire community, so pay up.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:54 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
An educated populace serves the entire community, so pay up.
A healthy populace serves the entire community as well.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:34 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,768,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
When taxpayers who send their kids to private schools get their tax dollars back, come back.
Right. Most property taxes (or at least the largest expenditure) goes to the schools. 65% of my County's property tax goes to our school system. I don't have kids (and I live in an HOA ) so whys should I pay them?

Some things are based on the common good. Exempting some from taxes just raises taxes on others.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:39 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I suppose you don't want illiterates and people who can't count providing your goods and services.
We already have that, it's called the post office, the DMV, the Tax assessor's office and the Court house.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:48 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
Yes I pay for the roads and you should only pay for schools if and when you have kids in them
I disagree.
Education is a community endeavor.
I attended private schools, didn't breed, and have no problem paying for education.
Everyone in society benefits from an educated populace.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:56 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Should residents of HOA or gated communities be exempt from some local taxes or get tax exemptions?
I know some local jurisdictions charge a separate trash pick-up fee. However other jurisdictions include that as part of property taxes or other local tax revenue.

Which brings up this.......my parents live in a neighborhood with a homeowners association that hires their own people to do garbage collections, so county services are not utilized. Likewise I know people who live in gated communities with their own swimming pools yet have to pay taxes toward supporting county pools since that county has public county-run pools. Now not all counties here in Maryland have that. I live in Baltimore County which doesn't have public county pools, and I'm perfectly fine with that since I personally live in a gated community now with a pool (though I'll be moving to West Virginia this summer). And if they want to use tax money to fund construction of a public pool hypothetically I would be against it, same with using tax money to fund more parks. Also if its a gated community with private security, then the residents use less police protection.

I know some counties have lower taxes and separate fees for things like garbage collection to make it more fair for people living in gated communities, homeowners associations, apartment complexes etc that do not use local government services. But if you live in such a community but your county still charges you the same tax rate, do you think that is a problem? Shouldn't there be federal or state tax exemption or deductions for people in this situation??? I HAVE also heard along the same lines that people whose children go to private schools should get exemptions since they are not utilizing public schools?

If it can be differentiated I think fees are better than taxes since the people who use services pay for it. Similarly I would rather have less taxes to toward state and national parks and have these parks charge higher entrance fees instead so the people using the parks are paying for them.

Now in case any liberals point anything out.....gas taxes are NOT a user fee since a lot of them go toward subsidizing public transportation in the cities.
Oh, hell no! Just because some people want to live in a rarified, gated community, does not mean they should pay fewer taxes. Taxes benefit the community. The wealthy have their own security, so why pay taxes for cops? Let the poor pay for police and firefighters? Sure, the wealthy living in the gated communities have their own private pools, but you're OK with no community pools due to lack of tax income? Not a problen, eh? Let them go to the park. Oh wait...you don't want them going to park, either. Why should YOUR taxes pay for park upkeep? Charge a hefty admission fee, instead.
And since you can afford private schools, let the public schools go to hell due to lack of money.
You don't care if the world outside your safe little enclaves looks like the Hunger Games or The Purge, I guess. Incredibly selfish.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:22 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,243,976 times
No longer is our tax system about contributing your share for the services you get--not at any of the three levels of government we all pay for in every financial transaction, every day. It's about Big Government REDISTRIBUTING WEALTH.

Let's look at the services we get from local government here in Exeter NH. My spouse and I never had children, thus we put no burden on education costs at any time (and when I was young public schools were affordable, I was an only child, and my parents paid more than enough for my education costs with over 60 years of property taxes). All Exeter residents have to pay our own trash pickup at $2 per bag; every item that won't fit in the $2 kitchen-sized bag requires a more expensive fee ($10 to dispose of a fan that cost less than $10, for instance) Curbside Collection | Town of Exeter New Hampshire Official Website.

We aren't violent and won't need police to come and settle domestic disputes; we know that if our home got broken into, or our car was stolen, the police couldn't care less (both have happened over the course of our lives). We paid very well for a home that is as fire-resistant as possible, we don't smoke, and we are very conscious of fire safety (plus we have insurance), so the Fire Department (which was perfectly functional when it was all-volunteer) is pretty much extraneous like the Police Department.

My spouse and I pay over $13,000 a year to the Town of Exeter because our house is unluckily within their municipal boundaries. God knows how this local government can burn though $17 million a year and provide virtually NOTHING in terms of services, but it's not about services. It's about Big Government extorting money to create new aristocracy of government workers (and retirees), while making sure the working class is equalized at a level FAR below the "public" servants that supposedly work for them.

BTW, cops and firefighters, or successful business/technical executives in their prime earning years, now live on my street.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:19 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:
Let's look at the services we get from local government here in Exeter NH. My spouse and I never had children, thus we put no burden on education costs at any time (and when I was young public schools were affordable, I was an only child, and my parents paid more than enough for my education costs with over 60 years of property taxes). All Exeter residents have to pay our own trash pickup at $2 per bag; every item that won't fit in the $2 kitchen-sized bag requires a more expensive fee ($10 to dispose of a fan that cost less than $10, for instance) Curbside Collection | Town of Exeter New Hampshire Official Website.

When people have to pay by the bag to dump their garbage or large items, they start dumping it in the woods or lakes. Used to happen all the time.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:07 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,243,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
when people have to pay by the bag to dump their garbage or large items, they start dumping it in the woods or lakes. Used to happen all the time.
it happens all the time today, in places like Exeter NH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies