Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 10:19 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,508,022 times

Advertisements

Once again, before they take the time to read the decision of the Court, and the analysis which follows ... the knee-jerkers jump to conclusions.

Quote:
Secretary of State Ken Bennett acknowledged when the case was argued last year
he has no evidence people who are not citizens are registering to vote, either
now with the federal form or before the 2004 proof-of-citizenship requirement.
The Arizona Star has a good report on all of this, explaining that most persons registering to vote in the state are, in fact, according to the Star report, required to prove citizenship.

Read more: Supreme Court: Arizona citizenship proof voting law illegal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 10:20 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,102,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
So republicans are trying to block measures to let illegals vote because they may vote democrat, and democrats are trying to pave the way for illegals to vote democrat? Is that the summation??
No. It's not.

Republicans are trying to block measures that allow citizens to vote because they may vote Democratic, and Democrats are trying to keep it as easy as possible for citizens that support them to exercise the franchise.

The argument regarding illegal voting is a red herring designed solely to put an honorable veneer on a cynical political ploy.

That said... none of this had anything to do with today's SCOTUS decisision.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:20 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,606,338 times
I'm beyond caring. When a government decides that proof of citizenship is not required and the majority of people living here agree then we'll get exactly what we deserve.

The reason I don't care anymore ? I retired and got off the hamster wheel.
I'm not a leecher yet though but I don't have to worry about things like AMT or increased taxes or stuff like that now.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:21 AM

47,020 posts, read 26,088,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The Cutting Edge News
In 2005, the U.S. Government Accountability Office found that up to 3 percent of the 30,000 individuals called for jury duty from voter registration rolls over a two-year period in just one U.S. district court were not U.S. citizens.
Sniff... I smell cherry-picked data. Is there a link to the actual probe?

Old 06-17-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
No. It's not.

Republicans are trying to block measures that allow citizens to vote because they may vote Democratic, and Democrats are trying to keep it as easy as possible for citizens that support them to exercise the franchise.

The argument regarding illegal voting is a red herring designed solely to put an honorable veneer on a cynical political ploy.

That said... none of this had anything to do with today's SCOTUS decisision.
On one hand the Dems argue that their base are too poor to prove their citizenship to vote.
But they are not too poor to have to prove their citizenship for any other facet of life in America.
Why is that ?
One has to prove citizenship to get Obamacare. I've yet to see the outrage from the left on this.
Then they argue that it's mostly Republicans that are poor.

Make up your mind which party the poor belong to ?

Old 06-17-2013, 10:23 AM
bUU bUU started this thread

12,074 posts, read 10,725,093 times
The government decided that the means by which citizenship is required to be proven must be equally convenient - that the means couldn't be such that it placed a burden on some citizens while not placing the same burden on all citizens. There is a simple remedy: Have everyone prove citizenship using the same exact means and method. If you have to get the federal government to change its laws, or require all proof to be in person, then stop making excuses and get to it, if it means so much to you.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Sniff... I smell cherry-picked data. Is there a link to the actual probe?
Well they site the GAO study so go hunt that down and read it if you don't believe that anyone prints the truth anymore.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
The government didn't decide that: They decided that the means by which citizenship is required to be proven must be equally convenient - that the means couldn't be such that it placed a burden on some citizens while not placing the same burden on all citizens.
Every citizen gets a birth certificate issued when they are born.
Where is the undue burden on "some" ?

Old 06-17-2013, 10:26 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,430,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm beyond caring. When a government decides that proof of citizenship is not required and the majority of people living here agree then we'll get exactly what we deserve.

The reason I don't care anymore ? I retired and got off the hamster wheel.
I'm not a leecher yet though but I don't have to worry about things like AMT or increased taxes or stuff like that now.
LOL, I agree with you. It's all about getting those democratic votes and when the left insists that proof of citizenship is not required our vote no longer counts.

the left claims that people can't get proper voter ID because they think it's too hard yet wait until the left has to complete Obamacare applications for free Obamacare and I'll bet it won't be too hard for anything that's free.

We are going into the abyss and people will deserve what they get.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:31 AM

47,020 posts, read 26,088,934 times
Default So what happens when we use actual data?

Having poked around a bit, here's what happens when people use federal immigration data to clean up the voter rolls.

Florida, having gotten access to the federal database named SAVE, found 207 non-citizens. That's a whopping 0.002%.

Fla. voter-roll screening yields few non-citizens

Colorado did better, with 141 non-citizens - that's 0.004%.

Gessler: 141 Illegally Registered To Vote « CBS Denver

Officials from both states had claimed much, much higher number based on DMV records, but appears to have forgotten that people become citizens without the DMV knowing - plus, of course, it's the DMV, not a bastion of conscientious record-keeping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies