Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2013, 09:37 AM

10,200 posts, read 11,183,342 times

Advertisements

It all comes down to $$$$$$

Old 06-19-2013, 09:39 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,836,845 times
So in primitive times when we were hunters and gatherers - If you had that extra bit of fat around you gut - that was your emergency fuel tank...it would be a disease? NOT- it would be a life saving bit of stored energy and nutrition. FAT is good....an over load of fat is like a car whose fuel tank is larger than the passenger compartment.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:41 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,388,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Fat people better look the Hell out as the Govt will render them as fuel...... handing over every last Right to the Govt won't upset the Govt a bit.
Yes, it's true.

Hitler found the cure for obesity.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:43 AM

13,491 posts, read 9,994,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
So in primitive times when we were hunters and gatherers - If you had that extra bit of fat around you gut - that was your emergency fuel tank...it would be a disease? NOT- it would be a life saving bit of stored energy and nutrition. FAT is good....an over load of fat is like a car whose fuel tank is larger than the passenger compartment.
So we aren't either in primitive times or hunter gatherers. A condition that effects normal body function in a negative capacity on a chronic basis is a disease. Not a permanent disease, nor an incurable one necessarily - but a disease nonetheless.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:47 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,894,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I hope you spend a lot of time researching foods... You will find fast rising breads and that sort of thing probably have caused your poor health. GMO foods are for sure not going to be your friends. There is BS in milk now from fast growth BS man made to feed the masses, and about the only milk left fit to eat is almond milk.
i do spend a lot of time researching foods, mostly for sodium, potassium, and phosphorus content, as well as sugar content. these are the tings that affect me most. i dont drink much mile anymore, nor do i eat much bread anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Out of line according to YOU maybe but YOU are not everybody.
as i said, i dont care, i just consider the source of the idiocy. but there are people that are in fact highly offended by the stupidity written by those who are being insulting to fat people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua84 View Post
At least it still punishes them for their mistakes though.
we all make mistakes, and as such we all should not be constantly punished for those mistakes. but then no one is perfect except perhaps you and mac muz and ku chief. perhaps we should all bow down to you three and proclaim you as gods to worship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Yet, everyone seem to think it is OK to have public service announcements and ads that portray smokers as filthy, vile creatures with missing teeth and yellow fingers.
personally i think the current crop of anti smoking ads are not only vile, and disgusting, but are also misleading bordering on misrepresentation, to outright lying. they are trying to make connections that i seriously doubt are there. while i can see the connections to various lung diseases, and heart disease, they are now trying to make connections to people losing limbs because of smoking, and that is where the misrepresentation comes in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
This is a great post. Smokers were in the majority at one time. What's wrong with constant warnings about obesity being hazardous to your health. Why don't they run adds showing the health problems that are the result of obesity. My wife is a nurse. Show some people in the hospital in their 50's that already have kidney failure, Congestive heart failure, diabetes, etc and basically are on their last legs, waiting to die, trying to stretch out a few years more with tons of medical treatment. Obesity is not a disease. People do have control because they feed themselves.
obesity does have many elements of disease. for instance i gained a lot of weight in the summer between my junior year and senior year of high school despite the fact that i played baseball and basketball during that summer. and my diet didnt change. i have since been trying to lose the weight over the years with little success.

Quote:
BTW, I noticed one poster who said, "walk a mile in my shoes". What this person doesn't realize is that most of us already do. We do and have taken control of what we eat. Most of us are not naturally thin and healthy. We do force ourselves to exercise. Its not always fun. It takes self discipline.
really? you have had a weight problem that you have had to constantly deal with? you have had health issues because of that weight problem like anemia, diabetes, kidney failure? on bad thing about anemia is that you dont have enough red blood cells to help carry oxygen through your body so it always seems like you are short of breath. a normal red blood cell count is between 14 and 15, mine is usually in the low tens. and that makes doing even normal things difficult. and it doesnt help being on dialysis either. taking off water weight may seem like a good thing, but the reality is that most dialysis patients have severe fatigue issues after a session. i have issues with low blood pressure and light headedness for instance. as long s i ma sitting down i am fine, but when i stand up, i get dizzy for a while after a session. do that three times a week and see how you feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
True, and it also does not matter if they classify it a disease, or not. Maybe the classification opens new doors to the doctors, but the bottom line is that obesity is a huge problem costing hundreds of billions every year.
what you say is true finn, but the answer isnt insulting those that are obese, but rather helping find the cause of their obesity and helping them work through it. and food isnt the cause. food is used by the obese as a comfort item to try and take away the pain of being insulted hourly by stupid people who think they are god and know better than everyone else.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:12 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,844,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
LOL now being fat is a disease.

More absurdity.
it's a mental 'disease', the same as alcoholism.

a combination of lack of willpower, plus affininty for food.

should be easy to sort out, just eat less

Old 06-19-2013, 10:13 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,716,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
what you say is true finn, but the answer isnt insulting those that are obese, but rather helping find the cause of their obesity and helping them work through it. and food isnt the cause. food is used by the obese as a comfort item to try and take away the pain of being insulted hourly by stupid people who think they are god and know better than everyone else.
I don't recall insulting anyone.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:15 AM

32,836 posts, read 19,521,031 times
the problem is they way they define it

For adults, overweight and obesity ranges are determined by using weight and height to calculate a number called the "body mass index" (BMI). BMI is used because, for most people, it correlates with their amount of body fat.
•An adult who has a BMI between 25 and 29.9 is considered overweight.
•An adult who has a BMI of 30 or higher is considered obese.

so a guy 6'2" (74") at 250lbs is considered not only overweight, but obese

btw...Arnold Scwartineger IN HIS PRIME...was 6'2" and 250lbs

Old 06-19-2013, 11:43 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,774,658 times
Funny thing, starving people rarely catch the obesity disease. It seems lack of food is a powerful antidote.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:58 PM

52,707 posts, read 34,636,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
Funny thing, starving people rarely catch the obesity disease. It seems lack of food is a powerful antidote.
'tis an odd 'disease.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies