Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 10:40 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,177,210 times

Advertisements

So long as black people continue to say the N-word, I will continue to view those who use the word as an intellectually dishonest bunch of screw-ups who will never have significant positive contribution to this society.

Seriously. The double-standard is beyond ignorant. It's downright embarrassing for black people as a whole.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:20 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,971,677 times
I am appalled when anyone uses the n word. But when someone of Deen's generation uses it, it is much worse. Since she is of the era where its only intent was derogatory.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:41 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,051,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
So Paula Deen learned to use the "N-word" from rappers now, huh?
Well she is from Atlanta...

Old 06-22-2013, 12:01 PM

5,298 posts, read 7,656,713 times
Default Pastor Friend Says Deen Can't Be Racist

Paula Deen is not always my cup to tea, so to speak, but, I don't think she is racist. The dye has been cast though and she has already made her millions so, move on, Paula.......the Food Network may have been looking for an excuse.

Pastor friend says Paula Deen can't be a racist – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

Quote:
June 21st, 2013
06:19 PM ET

SAVANNAH, Georgia (CNN) - The Food Network announced Friday that it will not renew the contract of Paula Deen after she admitted using a racial epithet – but a black pastor who is friends with the celebrity chef said she "can't be a racist."
Deen apologized Friday for "the wrong that I've done," a move that follows revelations this week that she admitted saying the N-word.
But Pastor Gregory A. Tyson Sr. from First Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church in Savannah, Georgia, defended Deen to WTOC, a CNN affiliate.

"I know her," Tyson said. "My children have been to her house. I've been to her house, I've sat on her furniture. I've been all through her house. What racist would let a black man walk all through her house?"

Tyson also said he is pastor to Hollis Johnson - the black man who manages much of Deen's affairs, travels everywhere with her, owns a successful limo company with a fleet of cars that Deen helped finance.
"She is a mother to him, a mother figure," Tyson said.
"People are going to jump on it and believe what they want to believe and add what they want to add," said Tyson. "But one thing I can sit here today and look you in the face and tell you is that woman can't be a racist."
"She can't have a heart against black people with all that she had done, and all she continues to do," Tyson continued....snipped...

Old 06-22-2013, 12:10 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,651,838 times
Why is this a separate thread? Anyway...

What this pastor says may be true, but does the phrase "guilt by association" sound familiar? I'm not saying I agree with Food Network's decision, but the ugly reality is that they had to do what any group of company execs would do, and that is to disassociate themselves and their organization with any high profile individuals who admit to using racial slurs.

I'm confident that Paula will bounce back, She has a lot of brand cache.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:33 PM

5,298 posts, read 7,656,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
Why is this a separate thread? Anyway...

What this pastor says may be true, but does the phrase "guilt by association" sound familiar? I'm not saying I agree with Food Network's decision, but the ugly reality is that they had to do what any group of company execs would do, and that is to disassociate themselves and their organization with any high profile individuals who admit to using racial slurs.

I'm confident that Paula will bounce back, She has a lot of brand cache.
Because no one would have paid attention to the article and I would like some feedback from the Paula haters and without the vitriol.

I just think the automatic disassociation feeds into the politically correct attitudes that have run amok in this country. It only perpetrates this insane notion that no one must ever be forgiven for past transgressions, even when committed in a different time and social atmosphere. Especially if it was in the south and was against black people. Let. it. go.

I found this quote pretty telling and quite sincere:

"People are going to jump on it and believe what they want to believe and add what they want to add," said Tyson. "But one thing I can sit here today and look you in the face and tell you is that woman can't be a racist."

Old 06-22-2013, 12:37 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,775,805 times
I find the double standard comical. I could care less about paula deen. she's very well off, and has nothing to worry about. I do find it funny that she was fired, and that people of other colors can say whatever they want, whenever they want, and never face a backlash.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:38 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,503,611 times
One thing new to me through all this - had it not been for the southerners on CD, I never would have known that they have their own word for Brazil nuts. Maybe because I'm from the west coast is the reason I've never heard this unique expression.

I can just imagine these fine southerner folks at their local grocery stores..."hey n----r, where do you keep your n-----r's toes in this place?" So charming....

Old 06-22-2013, 12:43 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,299,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I wonder if BET ever plays old Richard Pryor or Eddie Murphy movies.

Ever heard any of their old comic routines ?
BET, Eddie Murphy or Richard Pryor didn't fire her...the Food Network did. Take it up with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
So long as black people continue to say the N-word, I will continue to view those who use the word as an intellectually dishonest bunch of screw-ups who will never have significant positive contribution to this society.

Seriously. The double-standard is beyond ignorant. It's downright embarrassing for black people as a whole.
I for one plan to keep using it, and that's really not your concern.

The double standard isn't the issue, nor do black people have anything to be embarrassed about in this situation. black people didn't fire her or even ask for her to be fired.

she was fired by the Food Network and you should take that up with them.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:45 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,359,194 times
Quote:

"I know her," Tyson said. "My children have been to her house. I've been to
her house, I've sat on her furniture. I've been all through her house. What
racist would let a black man walk all through her house?"
That's a silly statement. I've known a few racists who have had black people walk all through their houses. It doesn't necessarily mean they like them or that they would approve of their daughter marrying one. I've been to birthday parties where the whole class was invited and staff parties where the whole team was invited. It doesn't mean they were particularly welcomed there, but it would have been awkward to do it otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies