Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 09:10 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,117 times

Advertisements

9 out of 10 times when I see someone swipe their food stamps card it's a woman. I'm sure this is because it is easy for single mothers to get food stamps, even if they are working and have a decent income. I would argue the government encourages out of wedlock births through welfare programs like food stamps, but that's another topic in itself. My main point is women are the majority of food stamp users.I would guess the statistics back this up but maybe not to the 9 out of 10 ratio that I observe.

The other day I drove past a soup kitchen and there was a very large line going around the block. I couldn't help but notice that every single person in line with no exceptions, was male. Most were middle aged to older men. I would guess many did work and paid into the system for much of their lives. Yet they must not qualify for food stamps, probably because they don't have any dependents.

How do you feel about this food stamps/soup kitchen gender gap and why does it exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 09:39 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
You've pretty much got it spot on.

In a majority of single-parent cases, the mother is the one raising the children. Because of the dependents - and not having to list Child Support as income - the single-parents are more apt to have food stamps.

On the other hand, the majority of non-custodials are males. Even though the money is paid to child support, non-custodials still have to claim that money as income. So, if you get a non-custodial with crap-for-pay, he (some are female, but for the sake of pronouns...) may not be able to qualify for food stamps while also not being able to afford food.

For interest's sake, I did an "eligibility screening" in my state for a single male making $1500/month before taxes and paying out $250 in Child Support. I used a net pay calculator to calculate that with no dependents, he would be netting a little under $1000 after Child Support. Less than $1000/month take home money - yet disqualified from every form of aid because his pay is too high. ((And I even put him down as living in a city where 1-bedroom apartments start at $600/month))

Same $1500/month for a single mom with one child receiving $250 in Child Support. Her after taxes is ~$1300 + 250 (Child Support) = $1550. She would qualify for food stamps, medicaid (for the child), energy assistance, child care, and WIC (if the child was 5 years of age or younger).

Old 09-13-2010, 11:11 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,117 times
Rita, I never thought of the child support aspect and didn't know about the tax double standard when it comes to paying or recieving child support. That expalins a lot. The system is sure stacked against non-custodials, especially those with lower paying jobs. Thanks for making me aware of this.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:16 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
9 out of 10 times when I see someone swipe their food stamps card it's a woman. I'm sure this is because it is easy for single mothers to get food stamps, even if they are working and have a decent income. I would argue the government encourages out of wedlock births through welfare programs like food stamps, but that's another topic in itself. My main point is women are the majority of food stamp users.I would guess the statistics back this up but maybe not to the 9 out of 10 ratio that I observe.

The other day I drove past a soup kitchen and there was a very large line going around the block. I couldn't help but notice that every single person in line with no exceptions, was male. Most were middle aged to older men. I would guess many did work and paid into the system for much of their lives. Yet they must not qualify for food stamps, probably because they don't have any dependents.

How do you feel about this food stamps/soup kitchen gender gap and why does it exist?
WEomen still do most of the grocery shopping in this country;which is more probably the reason.Of course the welfare system looks after children first who are most likely to be with heir mothers also. Its not any secret at all really.But itheir are alot fo men that are feed with food stamps alos;they just are not likely to be the one shopping.In fact when I shop for grocrties with my wife I also see more women generally and paying in cash or credit card.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:17 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post

In a majority of single-parent cases, the mother is the one raising the children. Because of the dependents - and not having to list Child Support as income - the single-parents are more apt to have food stamps.

On the other hand, the majority of non-custodials are males. Even though the money is paid to child support, non-custodials still have to claim that money as income. So, if you get a non-custodial with crap-for-pay, he (some are female, but for the sake of pronouns...) may not be able to qualify for food stamps while also not being able to afford food.

For interest's sake, I did an "eligibility screening" in my state for a single male making $1500/month before taxes and paying out $250 in Child Support. I used a net pay calculator to calculate that with no dependents, he would be netting a little under $1000 after Child Support. Less than $1000/month take home money - yet disqualified from every form of aid because his pay is too high. ((And I even put him down as living in a city where 1-bedroom apartments start at $600/month))

Same $1500/month for a single mom with one child receiving $250 in Child Support. Her after taxes is ~$1300 + 250 (Child Support) = $1550. She would qualify for food stamps, medicaid (for the child), energy assistance, child care, and WIC (if the child was 5 years of age or younger).
In your elegibility screenings did you find single custodial fathers qualifying for the same public entitlements as the single mothers? Or, was there disparity based upon gender alone?

Old 09-13-2010, 01:43 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,427 times
Quote:

Many states, if child support is being paid, that is factored in on determination of eligibility. The problem is, not all states follow the same guidelines for determination.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:51 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
In your elegibility screenings did you find single custodial fathers qualifying for the same public entitlements as the single mothers? Or, was there disparity based upon gender alone?
I think that Rita would back me up on this, but it would be patently illegal to base eligibility on gender.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:56 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Here's a question for you, how far do you think a proposal for extending "welfare" to single adult males get?

Old 09-13-2010, 02:12 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:

Which state was this? Did they really give you an option to select male or female or did you just say that to illustrate your point? I used your numbers in the pre-screening tool for Florida & the 1st one didn't qualify for anything while the second only qualified for low or no-cost health-care.

Also, in FL they use your gross not your net to determine what you qualify for so I used 1550 vs 1750 and still neither qualified for food stamps.

Last edited by nat_at772; 09-13-2010 at 02:20 PM..

Old 09-13-2010, 02:15 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,419 times
Wait until you consider the research funding for breast cancer vs. prostate cancer....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies